The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Sept. 03, 2020 | Series tied 3-3

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Miller: "I think we have another gear"

For sure they do.  Just gonna have to find it without a recovery day.  Realistically, though, that's not going to happen.  I don't question that they're digging as deep as they possibly can, so they're going to have to win game seven the way they did tonight.  This team has the heart of a lion.

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

not bad company

Trottier was the best player of his time - imo better than Gretzky - or at the very least, a far more complete player, no contest.

Gretzky - not a bad playmaker.

Crosby and Jagr - a couple 'generational' talents.

A little bit of Hall of Fame flavour on that list.

But no Brian Leetch, Paul Coffey, Bobby Orr, no Ray Bourque, Lidstrom, Denis Potvin, no Erik Karlsson, Duncan Keith, no Neidermeyer, Housley, MacInnis....

And both Petey and Miller closing in... 

49 minutes ago, Ben Kenobi said:

Not yet. Still have a little work to match West Coast Express era's peak. Leading by 2 in the 2nd would do it. Top 5 though. Unlike that team, this team hasn't lead at any point of their second round series. 

It is a very painful memory, to this day. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

not bad company

Trottier was the best player of his time - imo better than Gretzky - or at the very least, a far more complete player, no contest.

Trottier was a better backchecker, more physical and an active trash talking pest...  But Gretzky scored all of Trottier's points every year and all of Clark Gillies' as well on top of that.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is the reason Demko is so strong mentally is because he has a degree in psychology? 

My only worry about Demko is not the mental side of the game. It's the wear and physical toll it plays on the body. 

The only question mark on him is his durability. 

I doubt it.  I've known plenty of people that studied psychology and they aren't any better than average when it comes to mental fortitude or calmness, etc.  Being a pressure player is acquired by some other means...maybe born with it, maybe trials by fire earlier in life...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is the reason Demko is so strong mentally is because he has a degree in psychology? 

My only worry about Demko is not the mental side of the game. It's the wear and physical toll it plays on the body. 

The only question mark on him is his durability. 

He’s played two games and is a pro athlete.   Pretty sure if the rest of the team can play tomorrow after every game - that he can play three in four nights.    Markstrom starting to fade as a result of all the games he played -  no team in this playoffs will win a cup without a solid back-up coming in a winning several games too, or at least providing a rest for their number one.   Shows what a fresh body can do at this point.   Get what your saying but that shouldn’t be a concern for tonight’s game.   The entire team came back to help him, really remarkable none went in.   Tonight stellar goaltending from us will again be a must - but just as importantly getting the first two goals.   That’s the only time I see cracks in Vegas’s near perfect game plan.  I believe in miracles.   This is Demko’s coming out party and you could see how genuinely happy Markstrom was for him.   What a tandem. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Can hardly wait for our D upgrade(s) cannot be giving up over 40 shots a game and expect miracles every game by Markstrom and Demko, we can get away with it here and there but it's not fair to do to our goalies anymore, been going on for as long as I can remember BUT I'm trusting in JB to get some help since our offence is doing better, now for D.. c'mon JB get er done! 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I doubt it.  I've known plenty of people that studied psychology and they aren't any better than average when it comes to mental fortitude or calmness, etc.  Being a pressure player is acquired by some other means...maybe born with it, maybe trials by fire earlier in life...

Absolutely.   A lot of folks that I know that went into it are at least a little socially awkward and not necessarily going in to help people but to figure people out.   And it doesn’t mean they don’t lose that awkwardness either.   Nothing wrong at all trying to better yourself and help others.   Demko firmly lies in the not strange category having met him in a beer lineup in Laval when he came out in his nice suit.   He’s tall, very polite, affable and well put together.    Great first impression.   He’s a focused dude and I’m sure a great teammate. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Care to share a good recipe?  

win or lose, I think I’ll be sipping on a Piña Colada as well! 

Ice, 2 oz white rum, heavy splash of coconut milk then top with pineapple juice is how I roll. Not premade trash mix or blender happening.  

9 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Vegas’ lack of respect for their opponent is incredible 

When I saw the Vegas bench chirping in the first game, it showed the classless asses for what they are. The team obviously believed the press that they are shoe ins for the final series. They got fed some crow the next game, but you could see the same crap after they locked up game four. Fed them some crow last night. Not a lot of chirping going on after Miller's goal.

Would love to see the young 'nucks bring the series home. Maybe Vegas could be holding the sticks tight tonight and we get another unbelievable game from Demko who showed everyone he is a clutch goalie. He looked totally gassed the last half of the third, so hopefully he is good to go tonight. Vegas is going to  bring it. I look forward to a good effort from the Canucks, who have been weathering the storm. Need one more effort like last night to advance.

Feed them some more crow tonight boys. No matter what the result, I am proud of you guys.

Just now, iceman64 said:

Can hardly wait for our D upgrade(s) cannot be giving up over 40 shots a game and expect miracles every game by Markstrom and Demko, we can get away with it here and there but it's not fair to do to our goalies anymore, been going on for as long as I can remember BUT I'm trusting in JB to get some help since our offence is doing better, now for D.. c'mon JB get er done! 

Feel a lot of this is based on the tactical sides of things and regaining possession.   Instead of pushing their D with our wings everyone was coming back - blocking the shooters and double teaming their deep guys when they could - it was like they were on the PP for 2/3 of the game.   The players did an admirable job.   Don’t particularly care for it as it’s tough to watch - but it’s working. Easy shots seem to help Demko get into the game.   However I don’t know how many actual quality scoring chances they had but it must have been around 10 for sure maybe more.   We are playing like the 1990 Oilers or the 93 MTL team ... goaltending and strength down the middle win cups.  We have two of these things if OJ comes in and is the next Vlasic then game over western conference as far as future contenders go, plus add another Myers/Hamhuis/Erhoff type (same cap hit different times).   

10 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Adapting Hughes' minutes another shrewd movie by Green. Really impressed by his playoff coaching. No wonder he's had so much playoff success at every level.

I've said it for years now... AV was probably or best systems coach but if you don't know how to adapt on the fly and your opponent lears how to counter your system, then your great system ain't worth sh!t.  Green understands this big time, in the St.Louis series and now in this one.  He's been a good coach during regular season and a great coach for the playoffs... Both he and Trotts have been the best coachs in these playoffs hands down.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1