The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Sept. 03, 2020 | Series tied 3-3

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

30 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It's been so tiresome to defend Green to a few of the posters in here that just keep on blaming everything on him.  They wanted him fired 10 different times this season.  

It has been.

Green is proving that, beyond the x's and o's of it all, there's one very important factor...your team has to believe what you say.  Trust you.  Like you.  That's the starting point in it all.  In order for them to buy in to what you're selling and not tune it out, that's important.

It's why, when the Green slammers are here, I tell them it doesn't matter how THEY feel....it's how the TEAM feels about him.  And he's done every thing right so far...can't argue against him at this point.  A young team that's fought back and stayed engaged and intense despite the odds being against them takes some real leadership in the room.  And I LOVE a recent statement he made that he likes it when the team veterans take over and he steps back and let's that happen.  Coaches with ego maybe wouldn't be so comfortable in that.  He understands how effective it can be when coming from peers as well as the coach.  

He's #1 in my books.  And are we sure his hair wasn't green last night in the presser?  I wondered if the team had an inside bet that if they won he'd do something like that?  My daughter in law thought she saw it too...tint? Lights?  Would be awesome if it was.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

This series has no business going to a game 7... Had the refs called it down the middle I think at best Vegas would take us to 5 games... But here we are, waiting for game 7. 

Couldnt be more proud of this team. 

Let's stay positive and get that W! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, apollo said:

This series has no business going to a game 7... Had the refs called it down the middle I think at best Vegas would take us to 5 games... But here we are, waiting for game 7. 

I had Nucks in 5 :bigblush:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Because the sedins had the inside scoop on petterson.  Sedins told him not to excel and land in 5th for us since we never ever got 1st pick since the sedans. There parting gift to us fans.  Petterson was trained by the sedins.  

Sedins were picked 2 and 3.  By my recollection, we've never had 1st overall.

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

can't agree with you more! I am getting pretty sick and tired over all the non called-charging penalties.

Whitecloud almost killed himself, when he missed Gaudette........it would have served him right if he got injured

Too much of that stuff.................very close to the 2011 Bruins goonery

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Sijell said:

omg boston is out...see how much i play attention to the east coast games...i'm such a turd.

Usually they have get out of jail free cards in order to stay in.  

Isn't it a great feeling to learn they're done?   I bet they're still licking their wounds.  Or people's faces....

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Sure about that? 

seems like you have issues 

seriously I urge you to get help. I am not joking this time 

Coming from a poster who seems to only post negatively, rich.

Perhaps you should cheer up, the Canucks are going to Game 7 and all you can do is tell people to get help?

Lets F***** Go Canucks!!!

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It's been so tiresome to defend Green to a few of the posters in here that just keep on blaming everything on him.  They wanted him fired 10 different times this season.  

Yeah - but it's based on a bunch of fishbowling, hindsighting, and endless one-liners about his 'system' - when not one single poster has any idea what his actual systems consist of (or at least have never made a credible attempt to outline them)  - and equally as little idea what players are actually healthy, why he makes the adjustments and changes he does, etc.

If there were any substance to it all, then fair game, but there rarely, if ever, is.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

The Canucks played hockey like Muhammad Ali boxed.  Rope-a-dope.  Cover up and defend and then counter hard and effectively when your opponent leaves an opening.  I'm not certain it's a consistently winning strategy for hockey, but it's worked for two nights in a row with a stellar goal tending performance.  My only worry is that possibly it requires too much of a goalie.  But maybe it's maintainable?  Keeping the shots to the type your goalie is good with.  You can bet Vegas will be trying to get the screens in place to try and get some goals next game, but if our boys keep boxing them out of his line of sight they might fall short again.  The Canucks performance is the saving grace for 2020 for me (at least since we had to return to BC from camping in Mexico back in March).

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

For sure they do.  Just gonna have to find it without a recovery day.  Realistically, though, that's not going to happen.  I don't question that they're digging as deep as they possibly can, so they're going to have to win game seven the way they did tonight.  This team has the heart of a lion.

Yeah JT was right, we need to see that extra gear a LOT more often, until then we're a good team but not ELITE!

21 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

The Canucks played hockey like Muhammad Ali boxed.  Rope-a-dope.  Cover up and defend and then counter hard and effectively when your opponent leaves an opening.  I'm not certain it's a consistently winning strategy for hockey, but it's worked for two nights in a row with a stellar goal tending performance.  My only worry is that possibly it requires too much of a goalie.  But maybe it's maintainable?  Keeping the shots to the type your goalie is good with.  You can bet Vegas will be trying to get the screens in place to try and get some goals next game, but if our boys keep boxing them out of his line of sight they might fall short again.  The Canucks performance is the saving grace for 2020 for me (at least since we had to return to BC from camping in Mexico back in March).

I think it's a strategy you use when you have a limping Miller, Sutter, Myers, Toffoli, etc....I don't think they are able to approach the game the way they did against St Louis - they are somewhat in counterpunch mode as opposed to their game - the puck pressure game.  But they are resilient and able to win different ways.

It's also a way of rallying around a rookie goaltender that you don't want to expose to a dangerous Vegas transition game.

For me - it's quite similar to the way Boston countered the Canucks in 2011.  They were a bend but not break team that counterpunched very effectively, and when you do so, it can be really frustrating to play against.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 2