The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks walk away from Toffoli and Markstrom at the end of this season?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sounds like a canucksmarmy-like take wadr. 

Without reading it my guess would be that it comes from a Drance type (entertainment value to some, with very little credibility/actual 'analytical' value).  The kind of junk that emanates from what the writer wants - their personal armchair wishlist - as opposed to paying attention to what management actually tends to do (if people actually hope to anticipate what will be done, the latter has far greater predictive value).

On the block = both veteran shutdown centers = a noob's perspective on team-building.  You'd think by now the market might get what management and the coaching staff are doing, or the importance of the bottom six to the young top 6 - but evidently not.

If both those centers are dealt I'll close my account here. That aint gonna happen though.  I'd be adding to, not subtracting from, that center group.  Any move would have to, at the very least, be replaced with a comparable (ie I could see signing a Richardson and possibly moving Sutter - but dealing both Sutter and Beagle is plain loopy, highlight reel fan talk. And Virtanen, likewise, is also nowhere near an obvious choice to move.  The fact Benning expressed that he expects more - I would read that not as much a tip of his hand/expressed intent to dump a player, as it is a message to Virtanen.

Returning 'for sure' - to have Pearson in that list is short-sighted - he's nowhere near untouchable/a certainty.  He may wind up being the most moveable cap - and if it comes down to a winger like Pearson, or a 'likely to move on' like Tanev, the choice is simple imo.  Pearson would be out.

Most of that list' is fan talk - not management-think. That's the nature of most of these pseudo-lists - they are fan shopping lists that don't really reflect an ability to think like, or realize what, managment have been/are doing.

50/50 - I'd put Leivo higher than 50 and Benn way below.  Benn imo is one of the most likely not to return.

Buying out Roussel - again, a smarm take imo.  I could see dumping him for modest or no return, but no chance they buy him out.

Putting Fantenburg in the likely to move on list = a blindspot imo - a player the team is extremely likely to want to retain.

Tanev - again - to lean towards 'likely to move on' imo is a bizarre and weak assumption, based on who-knows-what.  Lumping Baertschi with those two - downright odd.  Considering Boeser a 'maybe' to return when he has another year on his current deal - again, some people listen to too many rumours/mistake their own wishlists for likelihood.

Overall - I'd rate that a horrible take.

Where the team needs to shed - is evident/obvious imo.  Veteran wingers.  Period.  And I'd include Pearson among them, as moveable cap - who can be replaced.

By Thomas Drance and Harman Dayal.

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2020 at 10:49 AM, oldnews said:

Sounds like a canucksmarmy-like take wadr. 

Without reading it my guess would be that it comes from a Drance type (entertainment value to some, with very little credibility/actual 'analytical' value).  The kind of junk that emanates from what the writer wants - their personal armchair wishlist - as opposed to paying attention to what management actually tends to do (if people actually hope to anticipate what will be done, the latter has far greater predictive value).

On the block = both veteran shutdown centers = a noob's perspective on team-building.  You'd think by now the market might get what management and the coaching staff are doing, or the importance of the bottom six to the young top 6 - but evidently not.

If both those centers are dealt I'll close my account here. That aint gonna happen though.  I'd be adding to, not subtracting from, that center group.  Any move would have to, at the very least, be replaced with a comparable (ie I could see signing a Richardson and possibly moving Sutter - but dealing both Sutter and Beagle is plain loopy, highlight reel fan talk. And Virtanen, likewise, is also nowhere near an obvious choice to move.  The fact Benning expressed that he expects more - I would read that not as much a tip of his hand/expressed intent to dump a player, as it is a message to Virtanen.

Returning 'for sure' - to have Pearson in that list is short-sighted - he's nowhere near untouchable/a certainty.  He may wind up being the most moveable cap - and if it comes down to a winger like Pearson, or a 'likely to move on' like Tanev, the choice is simple imo.  Pearson would be out.

Most of that list' is fan talk - not management-think. That's the nature of most of these pseudo-lists - they are fan shopping lists that don't really reflect an ability to think like, or realize what, managment have been/are doing.

50/50 - I'd put Leivo higher than 50 and Benn way below.  Benn imo is one of the most likely not to return.

Buying out Roussel - again, a smarm take imo.  I could see dumping him for modest or no return, but no chance they buy him out.

Putting Fantenburg in the likely to move on list = a blindspot imo - a player the team is extremely likely to want to retain.

Tanev - again - to lean towards 'likely to move on' imo is a bizarre and weak assumption, based on who-knows-what.  Lumping Baertschi with those two - downright odd.  Considering Boeser a 'maybe' to return when he has another year on his current deal - again, some people listen to too many rumours/mistake their own wishlists for likelihood.

Overall - I'd rate that a horrible take.

Where the team needs to shed - is evident/obvious imo.  Veteran wingers.  Period.  And I'd include Pearson among them, as moveable cap - who can be replaced.

It is totally unfair to respond in the present time, hindsight is a b*tch. A lot of perceptions here have not become reality. Looking at this now and back in Sept. I still agree with you on most points. Weird how things can change, but I guess the cap had a lot to do with that. 

I was lamenting the other day after watching the behind the scenes vid re our win over St. Louis in the first round, that I wish we still Marky, Tanman and Stetch. But moving forward I am still excited to see what this team can do with the additions made.

Cheers.

• Cheers 1