The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks walk away from Toffoli and Markstrom at the end of this season?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

I think we need to decide which one is important, a balanced line-up or missing a top 6 player and struggle.  I think that we have some of the most balanced line-up in the league with young prospects waiting in the wing for their opportunity.  Demko has done a good job of making the decision easier and Markstrom would want some raise and other teams who is in need for a goaltending will offer a top dollar that we can't afford.  Toffoli can sign here for a good raise and still be effective for us but I do not want a long term contract.  maybe 3 years is a perfect happy medium.  It would allow for more prospects who could take over Toffoli's role time to develop and take his place. You do not want Seattle to take one of the our goalies and having to face them for a few times in the season plus the divisional playoff format.  Let him sign other place outside the division and it'd be perfect.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Demko fits our timeline a lot better.  Markstrom will be getting too much term on the open market.  Anything longer than four years, we should walk away from.

thats the hard reality of it. We can't afford to be paying him 6+ past 35 years old. He peaked a little late.

It is nice to have options tho, either a correct Marky deal or go with Demko + a veteran. Heck maybe if we win tonight we can trade for MAF 50% retained :lol:

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

thats the hard reality of it. We can't afford to be paying him 6+ past 35 years old. He peaked a little late.

It is nice to have options tho, either a correct Marky deal or go with Demko + a veteran. Heck maybe if we win tonight we can trade for MAF 50% retained :lol:

We also don't want to have to replace our starting goalie right when our young core is hitting their prime.  If Demko can handle half the games next year, I think the group is a lot better off using the money to retain other pieces.  Marky is unlikely to take a short deal, which is the right decision financially.  He won't get another big payday.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Demko fits our timeline a lot better.  Markstrom will be getting too much term on the open market.  Anything longer than four years, we should walk away from.

Agreed.

One other concern that I have in signing Markstrom, is that the issue of an NMC will likely come up.    If the Canucks give Markstrom an NMC (to prevent expansion draft exposure), then you’re pretty much creating a situation where Demko is on borrowed time here.    

On the flip side, I can’t see Markstrom and his agent agreeing to a contract that doesn’t have an NMC, or agreeing to a deal that is less than 4 years.    If Markstrom signs here, it would be with the expectation that he’d be the clear cut number one guy through the duration of his contract.

However, if you sign Markstrom to a deal anything longer than 2 years, then you’re pretty much cutting into Demko’s prime.

long story short - I think the Canucks will have to make a decision in this off season.   Given what we’re seeing from Demko, I would proceed with Demko.   

11 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Why's everyone ready to give up on Marky after 2 solid games from our backup.  

Sign Markstrom and trade the worse of the two goalies before the expansion draft :) 

I think sign Markstrom and if Demko is playing as good as Markstrom, we trade Markstrom. Demko is much younger and I'd rather have him for another good 10 years then Markstom for about maybe 5. 

whatever goalie we have 2 years from now will lead us to a championship. demko or markstrom are both excellent options.

personally id go with demko because he would be cheaper, is younger and the savings in cap could be used to round out our team.

Demko is younger and cheaper and still improving. Markstrom will be expensive and will soon be past his prime (if not already). Demko to me is the clear choice - he will grow with the rest of the core.

Toffoli produced well in the regular season but I think lack of footspeed will be an issue going forward. So I would let him go and spend the money elsewhere.

Edited by dougieL

55 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Demko is younger and cheaper and still improving. Markstrom will be expensive and will soon be past his prime (if not already). Demko to me is the clear choice - he will grow with the rest of the core.

Toffoli produced well in the regular season but I think lack of footspeed will be an issue going forward. So I would let him go and spend the money elsewhere.

It's expensive to let Toffoli walk. We gave up a ton to L.A. for him. 

But I agree that his foot speed is lacking for sure. But he's sooo smart around the net 

Edited by N4ZZY

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

But I agree that his foot speed is lacking for sure. But he's sooo smart around the net 

Toffoli is way to streaky for me.. dudes on fire one game then non existent the next... cut our losses with madden and move on from him. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah I feel like we're not as fast of a team as we're lead to believe. On D only Hughes is fast but he's more agile than he is fast. Only dynamic skaters are really Petey/Hughes. Horvat and Miller have good north/south speed and Virtanen when he's playing good. Motte's the only fast player we have in the bottom 6. Other than that nobody who really gives people trouble with their speed. 

17 minutes ago, timmylu1 said:

Toffoli is way to streaky for me.. dudes on fire one game then non existent the next... cut our losses with madden and move on from him. 

Who replaces Toff in the top six though? 

There's not really anyone in the organization that can do that right now. 

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah I feel like we're not as fast of a team as we're lead to believe. On D only Hughes is fast but he's more agile than he is fast. Only dynamic skaters are really Petey/Hughes. Horvat and Miller have good north/south speed and Virtanen when he's playing good. Motte's the only fast player we have in the bottom 6. Other than that nobody who really gives people trouble with their speed. 

Yeah. Vegas is fast. 

Edler is slow as &^@#. Was watching him tonight, and I appreciate all the years he's been a Canuck, and the player he was. But he's not a first pairing kind of guy anymore. 

Virtanen is fast. I'm curious to see what he does this off-season. If he comes into camp out of shape again, then I think he's trade bait. Time to cut our losses. Doesn't seem to take his profession seriously, and has questionable work ethic and attitude. Maybe he flourishes in a different organization.....

Vegas has exposed that we're not a fast team. I mean, look at the way we played tonight. The Knights players pretty much got to almost every loose puck before we could. It was difficult to see Myers, Edler, and the rest of the team labouring on the ice. 

Bottom and middle six definitely needs revamping if this team is going to improve next season, and go equally as far in the playoffs as we did this year. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. Vegas is fast. 

Edler is slow as &^@#. Was watching him tonight, and I appreciate all the years he's been a Canuck, and the player he was. But he's not a first pairing kind of guy anymore. 

Virtanen is fast. I'm curious to see what he does this off-season. If he comes into camp out of shape again, then I think he's trade bait. Time to cut our losses. Doesn't seem to take his profession seriously, and has questionable work ethic and attitude. Maybe he flourishes in a different organization.....

Vegas has exposed that we're not a fast team. I mean, look at the way we played tonight. The Knights players pretty much got to almost every loose puck before we could. It was difficult to see Myers, Edler, and the rest of the team labouring on the ice. 

Bottom and middle six definitely needs revamping if this team is going to improve next season, and go equally as far in the playoffs as we did this year. 

I am more concerned about our D. The D we have isn't built well for playoff hockey vs faster teams. We lack size/physicality and speed/skill on our D-core. Rath/OJ may be able to help address some of the skill eventually but we might need to trade for some size/physicality. Tryamkin is a darkhorse but we are gonna need 2-3 defenseman in our top 6 that have a solid physical presence.

Not expecting any huge changes on D anytime soon though unless there's a trade. 

tbh i walk away from markstrom and try to keep toffoli and tanev.. Markstrom is great for us the last couple of years there's no denying. but if he's looking for something like 6 years contract.. plus sounds like there will be teams bidding for his service and his agents knows it.. is it something we want to take the gamble on? history says most goalie hit their decline when they hit 30 or enter 30. the decline might not be as big as some but it's gonna be a gamble if markstrom is looking for 6 years and around 6mil.. if he does hit a decline even say in 3 years.. that'll be a unmovable contract.. at this point i rather keep tanev and keep toffoli or sign another top 6.. can't imagine our defense next year with just hughes edler and myer. and say we let Toffoli walk.. our top 6 once again is questionable.. it'll be EP Miller Boeser Horvat and ??? ???.. Virtanen in these playoff shown nothing he belongs in the top 6.. Pearson seems more suited for a 3rd line role.. and the vegas series showed us we have problems playing with big and fast team and once again scoring is an issue outside the top line.. 

21 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I am more concerned about our D. The D we have isn't built well for playoff hockey vs faster teams. We lack size/physicality and speed/skill on our D-core. Rath/OJ may be able to help address some of the skill eventually but we might need to trade for some size/physicality. Tryamkin is a darkhorse but we are gonna need 2-3 defenseman in our top 6 that have a solid physical presence.

Not expecting any huge changes on D anytime soon though unless there's a trade. 

Tryamkin ship has sailed. Frankly he does not want to play a physical game and really is nothing more than a 3rd pairing or depth D. 

Don't think we can get a physical D without doing a trade at this point in the short term. Only physical D prospect we have is Woo and he is still quite a few years away if at all. That is why I am now on the explore trading Boeser boat. If we can grab a top 4 physical/fast D man out of someone, we should seriously consider such a trade.