The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks walk away from Toffoli and Markstrom at the end of this season?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

5 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Demko just went from sweetener in a trade to getting rid of Lou to big trade chip who could also get rid of Lou. 

Trade Demko if someone will take one of our contracts with him and sign Marky.  He's still got 5 yrs left. 

While Demko was awesome it doesn't mean he will continue that kind of play 

Where u get the 5 years left from? What goalie out there right now are elite caliber in the early 30s that weren't a legit big name coming out of the draft or were good early in their career? Most the 30+ goalies in recent years that were good all plays on a fairly good team

Not sure if anyone has mentioned how much of an emotional leader Marky is on this team, according to Green.  Comparable to Miller I'd guess.  So letting him walk might not play very well in the room.  This is clearly not the only thing to consider, but it does matter. 

That aside, I do agree that JB is in the driver's seat here.  Demko's performance gives him some additional leverage in negotiations with Marky, who already wants to stay here to begin with.  At the same time, he can be sorting through offers on Demko and retain one, the other, or both depending.  He's in a good position on that front.

It's hard to say about Toffoli because he was injured throughout the playoffs, and didn't show that well in a speed-based series.  But he was good when we got him at the deadline.  With Hoglander and Podkolzin coming, I'd hesitate to give too much term or money, but would consider extending him at his current salary for 4 years and let him go to market if he wants more.  Leivo is the insurance policy there:  kind of the forgotten man who would come cheap.  He could take Jake's place too.

In an ideal world, you'd try to upgrade on Tanev and Stetcher but they both played their hearts out and want to be here so I'm good with re-upping them.  No obvious replacements are available anyway. 

With Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty and Woo in the pipeline on D, and Hoglander, Podkolzin and Lind getting close as forwards, There's much less need to spend on players towards the bottom of the roster.  JB can just let contracts run their course and mostly fill in with what he's got in the system, maybe replacing one of every two departing veterans with a strategic free agent signing.  I expect to see that maybe next offseason, not this one.

• Cheers 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Keep them both if possible, but don’t give Markstrom any clauses that would prevent us from leaving him exposed in the expansion draft.

Well that’s the whole issue. Why would Markstrom allow himself to be exposed in the expansion draft?

Only way we get him without a NMC is if we overpay big time in which case Seattle wouldn’t take him anyways.

I know fans dreamed of a scenario where we kept both and let them compete for the number one position next season but it ain’t happening. The decision needs to be made this offseason.

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well that’s the whole issue. Why would Markstrom allow himself to be exposed in the expansion draft?

Only way we get him without a NMC is if we overpay big time in which case Seattle wouldn’t take him anyways.

I know fans dreamed of a scenario where we kept both and let them compete for the number one position next season but it ain’t happening. The decision needs to be made this offseason.

With the flat cap, there’s not going to be the big money that UFAs are used to seeing in Summer. He wants to be here, I would give him the option with him knowing that he could find himself 100 miles south in a year. There’s no guarantee that he will accept, but I would try for it and see what happens. If he’s not willing, then I’d let him go to free agency and bring in a reasonably priced but experienced backup like Lehner, to help spread the load around.

4 hours ago, panelguy said:

We need to free up some cap space and beef up the defense.A couple players were either hurt or uninterested or both.How abou730555687_HunterShinkarukNikitaTryamkinVancouverz65WqM_O_qYl.jpg.06ba7ac7f7d9ce050596de4fa12663f5.jpg730555687_HunterShinkarukNikitaTryamkinVancouverz65WqM_O_qYl.jpg.06ba7ac7f7d9ce050596de4fa12663f5.jpgt this pairing.

USATSI_13603603_168383996_lowres.jpg

Would please Tryamkin I'm sure. But maybe that twin towering pairing becomes your second defensive pairing. 

Cause Hughes isn't going to be on your second pairing. 

9 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

I agree.  I love Edler and Tanev but they need to be relied on less.  If they can be used as our 3rd or 4th and 5th guys next season we are good.   I think Juolevi can step in and i think we are underestimating what Jett Woo might become one day.  I can see him as a solid 3 behind Huggy and OJ

Yeah. But it depends on what Tanev's asking price is right. If he's asking for 6 million, then having him on our third pairing just doesn't make financial sense. 

If he's asking for 4 million? Maybe. If we can get him for 3.5-4 million, then yeah. Great value if he's playing top defensive minutes, and he'd be worth it still if he's playing third pairing minutes as well. 

I think Juolevi makes the team next season. He was good in his sheltered minutes. I think he could slot into, to start with, the third pairing and if he grows and improves, moves up that defensive line up. 

Tryamkin is eligible to come back and be signed next season? I think he could be a top four defenseman in our defensive corps. 

Hughes, Myers, Tryamkin, Tanev, Edler, Juolevi. I'm just listing the defenseman that are coming back/in. I'm not accounting the fact that many of them, if any, are RHD's. Oops. Myers is a RHD and Tanev. The rest are LHD's. 

Man, I think Alex Petriangelo is a free agent right? If we could get him....

The ONLY way I'd say Markstrom gets re-signed is if he doesn't receive a NTC (or only gets one for 1 year). Then we can get value by trading him (or exposing him) for the expansion draft. This would give 1 more year for Demko to get more games before being a starter at 25. 

If Marky wants a NTC, then we trade his rights for a 3rd. 

On 9/4/2020 at 9:13 AM, kilgore said:

Neither.

They should throw a Loui retirement party

StfZ13N.jpg

I’m afraid that won’t be enough for when we need to ink petey and hughes. I hope Jim explores getting them signed this summer. Sutter has to be on the way out too. Could see rooster after next season too.

its dangerous to move a spark guy like roussel tho. I believe Podkolzin may become that for us in 2 years. Tryamkin may help with that too.

Edited by Rush17

17 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Would it make more sense for markstrom to sign and agree to be exposed knowing it would at least be close to vancouver and would be easier on his family than moving across the continent?

Not at all...

He completely controls wheee he goes as a UFA.  If he signs with no trade protection, he has no control.

He could get selected by Vegas and then swapped to another team for assets.

There is zero motivation for him to do the Canucks a favour by reducing his options.  If he signs even a slightly discounted salary, then he gets a NMC for expansion and a healthy NTC for the rest of his contract.

He certainly isn’t going to agree to any of that just for the convenience of his move being slightly shorter, once he isn’t playing here there is no reason to stay close to here.  What does he care how long the movers have to drive to bring his stuff?

Edited by Provost

On 9/5/2020 at 1:42 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah I feel like we're not as fast of a team as we're lead to believe. On D only Hughes is fast but he's more agile than he is fast. Only dynamic skaters are really Petey/Hughes. Horvat and Miller have good north/south speed and Virtanen when he's playing good. Motte's the only fast player we have in the bottom 6. Other than that nobody who really gives people trouble with their speed. 

Motte isn't the only fast skater in the bottom 6. Roussel is also fast, and can put his speed to good use on the fore check. The problem is that you don't notice it as much because his mouth is always moving faster than his legs are.

On 9/4/2020 at 12:22 PM, smithers joe said:

i’ld like to see them sign toffoli and make him available to seattle in the ed. maybe a deal so they stay away from our goalies. 

i wish motte had jake’s size and jake have motte’s desire and heart. motte could move up a line or two. i believe. 

if they aren’t resigning sutter and beagle, they will need suitable centers and penalty killers. 

They don't have to resign Sutter or Beagle, as both are already signed for next year, and in Beagle's case the year after that as well.....which is part of the problem.