The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Sept. 04, 2020 | Golden Knights win series 4-3

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

38 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

I personally hope and think it’s Tampa’s year.

It is. They’re too good to beat. Neither team in the WCF has what it takes. With the additions of Coleman and Bogosian, they’re a far more physical and truculent team. I’m rooting for Tampa for sure. 

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

[...]

With that being said, when's the NHL draft? And when does the next season begin, does anyone know

Normally 6 October for the draft per the CBA MOU.

The CBA MOU has 1 December as tentative start date but seems very unlikely that they'll hold that date.  

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It is. They’re too good to beat. Neither team in the WCF has what it takes. With the additions of Coleman and Bogosian, they’re a far more physical and truculent team. I’m rooting for Tampa for sure. 

Imagine them with JT Miller!:o  Benning's best non-amateur player move by far.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Darius said:

im interested in seeing how Heiskanen is gonna handle having a target on his back and how Dallas responds.  Deboer likes deploying his 4th line to get their licks in on the D, especially when they have the lead...

yup. Could be some good lessons for us in this series. Unless  Dallas lays an egg. 

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

JB’s hands will be tied on some contracts so he will have to get creative. no matter what he does, some cdc gm’s will complain. we never make a wrong move. 

I don't think we'll see too much of that now that we got a preview of the next core. But some for sure. 

By the numbers...

Here are all the Canuck #'s for the "bubble playoffs"

Record 10-7 .588% (.565% reg. season)

48gf 45ga +3  (224-214 +10 reg. season 55-52 based on 17 games +3)

20.3%pp 80%pk (24.2%pp, 80.5%pk reg. season)

26.5sf 36.7sa (31.2sf, 33.3sa reg. season)

55.7%fow (54% reg. season)

Considering there were 5 months between games its almost equivalent to a full off-season. Look at the comparables to the Canucks first 17 games of 2019-20.

Record 9-5-3 6th in Conf 3rd Div

57gf 45ga +12

Some pundits will say this was a unique year and that with just a bit better pp last night alone they are onto a WCF against a Dallas team that has question marks in net and with their top forwards and could be riding a sizzling hot Demko right into the finals and then who knows what could happen. This team could look very different in terms of personnel/chemistry by the time "next" season rolls around, there are no guarantees. The Canucks might have blown a golden opportunity to hoist the Cup in the strangest SC playoffs anyone has seen.

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

only jb has the answers to the questions. mainly eriksson, benn, roused, toffoli, boeser, pearson, ferland, baertschi, sutter, tanev, markstrom, virtanen and stecher. 

i’m a firm believer of not moving out players before you have suitable replacements. 

right now, our pk consists of beagle, motte, sutter, ericksson and pearson, who can take their place? 

good luck benji.

100% - especially if we want to build off of this season.  I understand a lot of it is venting but it’s not the time to wantonly “get rid of” guys you didn’t like the look of vs Vegas.  

We could really use a young guy or two to step up in a PK role.  Podkozlin can’t get here fast enough and hopefully a guy like Jake can try to take that on.  

38 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Our blueline was relatively healthy - which is as rare as DeNiro in a non-mob related movie.:P

Leivo is really good at moving through the nuetral zone and into the offensive zone with the puck.  We couldve used his hands and shot and size for sure.  Ferland 100 percent wouldve helped us.  

This should be a very interesting and busy offseason for Benning. His drafting and trades, which were the bane of hockey analytics geeks, proved to propel them through 2.5 playoff series. 

I’m not sure what happened with them getting hemmed in their own zone for extender periods of time during the Vegas series, but it’s clearly something to work on. The team has the skill and speed that they used to compete. They have the goaltending. They’re deficient in size and the ability to use it. 

14 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Exactly. If he knew the team was this gassed, why not throw in guys like Mac or Bailey or Rafferty? 

Agree that this would have been a good idea:  even throwing Loui in for one game of the back-to-backs.   De Boer did that, but we had the depth to do the same.  In a compressed schedule, sticking to an old-school rigid depth chart is a mistake.  Hopefully Green learns from this, not that these exact circumstances are likely to reoccur. 

This is a bit of a sideshow, though.  The whole team was obviously gassed to the point where they couldn't complete more than a pass or two in a row.  As Juice said, playing defense is physically harder than playing offense, and over 7 games, that eventually took its toll.  We got into that situation because this is one of the very few teams who can outskate us, and they play a very aggressive system that maximizes that advantage.  That's the real story here, imho.

On the bright side, there's no way I would have believed this team could advance this far on the strength of its defensive play.  Green definitely introduced some major improvements there since the end of the regular season.  That is a crucial step forward in the emergence of this team as a contender.  Now there are other improvements to make.  So it goes. 

It sucks to go out like that, no question.  But to recycle a line from Nazzy, this team is destined for greatness.  We've had teams with this level of talent and others with this level of heart, but I'm not sure they've ever come together like this before. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’m not sure what happened with them getting hemmed in their own zone for extender periods of time during the Vegas series

The one thing the Canucks could not handle with the Vegas team was their (legal) use of sticks. So many times, passes intercepted and knocked down, puck carriers stripped of the puck from in front, the sides and behind. I watched and wondered if they trained at using their sticks so effectively, because they sure were "pests" with them!

• Vintage 2