The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Sept. 04, 2020 | Golden Knights win series 4-3

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Battlemonger said:

The canucks still have a long ways to go. The goalies won every game except one against minny. When the goalies had a bad game, the team lost. 3 more years to be a very solid contender.

Yeah cause the canucks didn't have 3 top ten scorers and hughes didn't set new NHL records. Right.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Cali Canuck said:

So when (if ever) will we hear about all the injuries.  If this was a normal year I would expect Tuesday to be locker clean out day.

It seems like everyone just went home since I'm seeing Twitter posts of the boys getting home and greeted by their dogs/kids/wives.  

I wonder if because the only thing the team was allowed to say was "unfit for play" they aren't going to talk about injuries specifically?  

On 9/4/2020 at 11:19 PM, Vanuckles said:

Agree with your post except the bolded part. I'd say that's a good description of the series.

But I do want a 'cement' head team. And I most definitely do care what wins in the playoffs. The playoffs are what matter. I couldn't care less how we get there or what our regular season looks like, what we're playing for is the cup and you get there by winning 4 rounds in the playoffs. Every year we lose we failed to reach our goal and I can't stand losing/failing. Especially failing the same way every time.

Hey Vanuckles.  I hear what you're saying.  I want to win badly, but after all this time, i want to win playing Canucks style hockey.  The 2011 cup should have went to Vancouver.  That 2011 team had the best game in the league by miles and that is why they were hated, they were so good, but what happened, meathead hockey happened.  I can't forget or forgive the NHL game for that.  I can't forgive or forget HNIC and eastern media for the role they played in that.  Vindication for me is the Canucks winning playing Canucks style hockey.  Total Hockey.  A skilled team game. 

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nobody including the coaching staff knew Demko would come in and do what he did.   Come on.   If he did that in the regular season he’d have been our starter against MIN. 

I'm talking about one game. If Green can't trust Demko for one game I don't know what Demko doing as back up. Trust the players and you get much more back. 

Marky need a break at back to back games. To don't give him that when we play the most important games of the season is just foolish. 

If you want Marky to steal games give him a little break...

This is a Green learning a few things also. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Robert Long said:

in fairness Vegas was handed a ridiculous advantage over other expansion teams, no one really expected it to go how it did. It was stupid. Hopefully Seattle goes differently but now with covid losses it makes me think they'll get to be stacked with high salary players as well. 

Is this the new way of expansion franchises now? 

Maybe the other leagues should follow suit when it comes to expansion? Give the expansion franchise the best way to not just survive, but thrive. 

I know Orlando of the NBA had something akin to what Vegas has now, and when the Grizz and Raptors came into the league in the 90's, they were barred from the first overall pick, because they didn't want a repeat of an Orlando with O'Neal and Hardaway. 

But Vegas making it to the Cup Finals twice in three years is, well, ridiculous. I thought this was supposed to be one of the hardest trophies to win? LOL 

• Cheers 1

Canucks can't score if they play most of the game in their own end. The team is still not tough enough to survive a playoff series against a big, fast, and tough team like Vegas. Of course the penalty to Miller near the end was bad. What happens to Reeves now ? Is he suspended ? Did the league review his hit on Motte?

Anyway the Canucks gave it their best shot. Most of them that is. So much for the Covid format. The game needs crowds. What will management do now ? WHEN DOES THE NEXT SEASON START?

11 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I'm talking about one game. If Green can't trust Demko for one game I don't know what Demko doing as back up. Trust the players and you get much more back. 

Marky need a break at back to back games. To don't give him that when we play the most important games of the season is just foolish. 

If you want Marky to steal games give him a little break...

This is a Green learning a few things also. 

Canuck management has always tried to bank on their #1 goalie to play most games. A coach must be able to pick the better goalie for each game , not just ride a goalie till he fails. Green still doesn't have the instincts and adaptablity in game situations, but he did pretty good despite tihings.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Hey Vanuckles.  I hear what you're saying.  I want to win badly, but after all this time, i want to win playing Canucks style hockey.  The 2011 cup should have went to Vancouver.  That 2011 team had the best game in the league by miles and that is why they were hated, they were so good, but what happened, meathead hockey happened.  I can't forget or forgive the NHL game for that.  I can't forgive or forget HNIC and eastern media for the role they played in that.  Vindication for me is the Canucks winning playing Canucks style hockey.  Total Hockey.  A skilled team game. 

I can't see it CK, I can't see them fail again in the playoffs by getting bullied. I want us to be the hammer, not the nail. It's a tough, TOUGH sight to see when you're team gets beaten down into the ice to the point that they have less than nothing left in the tank for game 7, and I NEVER want to see that again. It's happened one too many times for my liking and more speed and skill isn't going to help us. Canucks style is whatever style the team is playing and it changes from one core/regime to another. We can play the style which can make us effective in the playoffs. And I hope we do, because like I said I'm sick and tired of getting bullied out of the playoffs. I prefer that style of play anyways, 2way solid physical hockey. I hope they look at this year, and the past like 10 times we've been bounced from the playoffs and finally figure it out and do something to address toughness, size and intimidation.

As for the bolded part, I disagree. Bruins played a better team game than us and beat us, pretty handily for a 7 game series. All their wins were blowout wins, and ours we were squeaking by. It's 10 years ago so I've moved past the point of "we should have won it". We didn't because they played a style that fits the playoffs better. I hope it doesn't come off terribly, but saying we deserved to win is a little entitled imo. If we deserved to win we would have won. Just like if we deserved to win the Vegas series we would have won. Crying to the refs doesn't solve anything, they're just not going to give us 15 powerplays in a playoff game. It's just not going to happen. I believe we actually had the advantage on powerplays in most series that we were bounced out of in the past 10 years except for the SJS series in 2013 - abysmal reffing, not going to deny that.

I'm not sure if you watched the VGK vs Dallas game 1, but Dallas played a solid 2way team game and Vegas did not look remotely as dominant as they looked against us. That's how playoffs hockey is meant to be played.

4 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I can't see it CK, I can't see them fail again in the playoffs by getting bullied. I want us to be the hammer, not the nail. It's a tough, TOUGH sight to see when you're team gets beaten down into the ice to the point that they have less than nothing left in the tank for game 7, and I NEVER want to see that again. It's happened one too many times for my liking and more speed and skill isn't going to help us. Canucks style is whatever style the team is playing and it changes from one core/regime to another. We can play the style which can make us effective in the playoffs. And I hope we do, because like I said I'm sick and tired of getting bullied out of the playoffs. I prefer that style of play anyways, 2way solid physical hockey. I hope they look at this year, and the past like 10 times we've been bounced from the playoffs and finally figure it out and do something to address toughness, size and intimidation.

As for the bolded part, I disagree. Bruins played a better team game than us and beat us, pretty handily for a 7 game series. All their wins were blowout wins, and ours we were squeaking by. It's 10 years ago so I've moved past the point of "we should have won it". We didn't because they played a style that fits the playoffs better. I hope it doesn't come off terribly, but saying we deserved to win is a little entitled imo. If we deserved to win we would have won. Just like if we deserved to win the Vegas series we would have won. Crying to the refs doesn't solve anything, they're just not going to give us 15 powerplays in a playoff game. It's just not going to happen. I believe we actually had the advantage on powerplays in most series that we were bounced out of in the past 10 years except for the SJS series in 2013 - abysmal reffing, not going to deny that.

I'm not sure if you watched the VGK vs Dallas game 1, but Dallas played a solid 2way team game and Vegas did not look remotely as dominant as they looked against us. That's how playoffs hockey is meant to be played.

Hi Vanuckles.  Yeah I watched a bunch of that game, was boring AF.

hmmmm.  can't we just build a winner the Canucks way and eventually the game turns in our favour like it almost did in 2011?    

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Hi Vanuckles.  Yeah I watched a bunch of that game, was boring AF.

hmmmm.  can't we just build a winner the Canucks way and eventually the game turns in our favour like it almost did in 2011?    

Haha wow interesting. I definitely didn't think it was boring, but to each their own. Ditto for the second part of your comment I suppose ;)

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I don’t think they are to far away from actually contending, need a couple more big power forwards who will actually drive the net and get some shots through. Although the Canucks made it to game 7 they pretty much got outplayed at every part of every game except face offs and goal tending. When they failed on 5 min power play I knew it was over. Can’t say it was a disappointing year though lots of future excitement I’m hoping. 

On 9/6/2020 at 5:41 AM, VforVirtanen said:

To me Jake just played the way you expect most young players to play in a first big playoff run. Similar to Gaudette. In over their heads but they will learn from this. I think we are so spoiled by players like Petterson and Hughes who are gods among me that we forget this is the normal trajectory for most players. 

Folks give up too easily. We need speed, size and goal scoring ability. He may be exactly the type of players we need for our bottom six in future. 

Give up to easily? Geez, Jake has been here for what? 6 seasons, and people were in a hurry to drive Boeser out of town and yet, have all the patience for Virtanen. Gaudette didn't show up in the scoresheet but at least when you watched him play, he looked he was trying and there was some sort of sweat excerted.

11 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

I don't want to make excuses but that long break that the Bruins had after beating the Lightning played a huge part on them winning the cup as well. If you guys recall, the finals were played about a week after the conference final (because of nbc tv), that gave the Bruins sometime to heal for the finals. Things would be a lot different had they beat the lightning and had to play 2 days rather than having a week break. Mark Rechi even admitted that the Bruins were absolutely done UNTIL the Nathan Horton hit. That Rome hit on Horton changed everything, I actually watched some parts of the game (its in youtube) and after that hit, the Bruins were a completely different team because they got pissed off

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I don't want to make excuses but that long break that the Bruins had after beating the Lightning played a huge part on them winning the cup as well. If you guys recall, the finals were played about a week after the conference final (because of nbc tv), that gave the Bruins sometime to heal for the finals. Things would be a lot different had they beat the lightning and had to play 2 days rather than having a week break. Mark Rechi even admitted that the Bruins were absolutely done UNTIL the Nathan Horton hit. That Rome hit on Horton changed everything, I actually watched some parts of the game (its in youtube) and after that hit, the Bruins were a completely different team because they got pissed off

I forgot about the week break. Yeah that definitely could have been a huge advantage because it was a short series for is against the sharks. If we had started 2 days after their game 7 vs Tampa it would have played even more in our favour. That said, we did win the first 2 games and as you/doc said, they were done until the Nathan Horton hit so who knows if the end result would have changed. Idk, it's all hypothetical and personally I've moved on to the point where it's just lessons learned for me at this point.

On 9/5/2020 at 9:40 AM, Robert Long said:

most teams would have. Lets see... begin with a big team and arguably the best top 4 d in Minni... then we get the cup champs... then take Vegas to 6 minutes from the western final. Yeah I'd say thats pretty good ::D

If we had a night off I think we win this series, but 5 in 7 is just too much with this level of competition plus what they had to go through just to face Vegas. 

Seems Vegas was out of gas too...by the way they played Dallas in their first game, seems like we weren't the only ones who "left it all out there on the ice" during that series.  And their lead in to it was quite a bit different than ours.   Our guys had two previous series that ended up being a good, hard fought run in some pretty tough match ups.  Almost did go through to the next round too, so really quite an accomplishment considering where the bar was set at. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Seems Vegas was out of gas too...by the way they played Dallas in their first game, seems like we weren't the only ones who "left it all out there on the ice" during that series.  And their lead in to it was quite a bit different than ours.   Our guys had two previous series that ended up being a good, hard fought run in some pretty tough match ups.  Almost did go through to the next round too, so really quite an accomplishment considering where the bar was set at. 

if Brock nails that goal it may have been over then too, Demko was in their heads. 

Benning has some big decisions to make, thats for sure. I'm really hoping we see some kind of resolution on Loui this week. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1