The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Off Season Moves Post-Playoffs

HKSR

So now that we've seen what this team looks like in the playoffs, I think the picture is a lot clearer as to who to keep and who needs to go.

Toffoli and Tanev - absolutely need to be re-signed.  Both are clearly playoff warriors.  These 2 should be the key re-signings this offseason.

Pearson - trade him.  He becomes a perimeter player with zero intensity come playoff time.

Sutter and Roussel - Trade them if possible.  For what they cost, they don't bring nearly enough to the table.

Virtanen - I'd argue we need to keep him.  If and when he finally puts it all together and matures, he would be a dominant force.  His size and speed is effective and he's at least defensively responsible.

LE - Can't get rid of him, but man it would help the situation so much.

Markstrom - man, I don't envy GMJB after that performance by Demko.  I think it might be time to put the eggs into demko's basket.  Demko is the right age to hit his prime with the rest of the core.  Marky would be trending down just as this core is hitting their prime.

Gaudette - keep him.  He's growing and learning... But he should be converted to the wing.

Beagle - keep.  He brings a physical element to his game as well as his faceoff ability.

Boeser - don't even go there.  He is a key part of this core moving forward.  

Fanta - keep.  Excellent 3rd pairing defenceman that brings tenacity and aggression to his game.

Benn - keep.  Similar reasons as Fanta.

Stecher - love him, but we need to find a defenceman that brings what he brings, but with size for the playoffs.

No brainers - Petey, Quinn, Bo, Myers, Edler, Miller

Did I miss anybody?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So now that we've seen what this team looks like in the playoffs, I think the picture is a lot clearer as to who to keep and who needs to go.

Toffoli and Tanev - absolutely need to be re-signed.  Both are clearly playoff warriors.  These 2 should be the key re-signings this offseason.

Pearson - trade him.  He becomes a perimeter player with zero intensity come playoff time.

Sutter and Roussel - Trade them if possible.  For what they cost, they don't bring nearly enough to the table.

Virtanen - I'd argue we need to keep him.  If and when he finally puts it all together and matures, he would be a dominant force.  His size and speed is effective and he's at least defensively responsible.

LE - Can't get rid of him, but man it would help the situation so much.

Markstrom - man, I don't envy GMJB after that performance by Demko.  I think it might be time to put the eggs into demko's basket.  Demko is the right age to hit his prime with the rest of the core.  Marky would be trending down just as this core is hitting their prime.

Gaudette - keep him.  He's growing and learning... But he should be converted to the wing.

Beagle - keep.  He brings a physical element to his game as well as his faceoff ability.

Boeser - don't even go there.  He is a key part of this core moving forward.  

Fanta - keep.  Excellent 3rd pairing defenceman that brings tenacity and aggression to his game.

Benn - keep.  Similar reasons as Fanta.

Stecher - love him, but we need to find a defenceman that brings what he brings, but with size for the playoffs.

No brainers - Petey, Quinn, Bo, Myers, Edler, Miller

Did I miss anybody?

Yeah.

Newell Brown. Out.

Virtanen is 25 next year. He's had plenty of time to "Mature" and "put it all together". And yet, here we are, waiting for the bus that will not arrive. I've backed him for ages, but even my patience is done.

Stecher was absolutely fine, even at his size. He plays bigger than he is, you want guys like that on the team. We've had years of guys who play smaller than their size.

My Out list for players: Sutter, Roussel, LE (lol, not happening but a guy can dream), Benn (we have a replacement for him already), and nobody would take him at this point, but Ferland too. Unless he LTI retires like Dorsett, but I think his career is pretty much done. Every time he plays he's concussed / out for another 5 months. Carrying that contract is an albatross. Tofolli unless he comes *cheap*.

I'm on the fence about Pearson too. He's cost effective for what he gets, and can we upgrade for the same? I dunno.

Newell Brown. Out.

• Like 3

If Toffoli and Pearson are besties, I wonder if we could sign them together for cheap. I mean they already have Stanley Cups and probably just want to play together on the West Coast. If the ask is too much, I wouldn't mind just letting them both go. I doubt one signs without the other.

• Like 1

- Try to sign our UFA and RFA players to the best deals possible.

- Find a solid 3 C.

- Dump 1 to 2 bad contracts at least.

- Rework the D.

- Choose between Marky and Demko (in my preference, Demko and use the $ up front).

- Let natural progression improve us and push out players from the bottom 6.

• Like 1

They definitely need to re-sign Tanev and Toffofli to 4 year deals and offer Tanev no trade for the first 3 years but can be unprotected for expansion draft and Toffofli same 3 year no trade.

Stetcher they need to try and package him with a bad contract to trade for a low draft pick as Myers can take his spot with Edler and then see who wins the 6th spot among Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo, Rafferty and Benn.

Fantenberg - sign him for 2 years and make the young prospects beat him for a job in his last year 

Virtanen - qualify and if a team approaches the Canucks with draft picks and or a prospect that makes sense then you make the deal otherwise it would be good to keep him at least until Podkolzn arrives and tries to steal his job.

Markstrom - I don’t know what to do yet with giving him a contract or just running with Demko and a solid backup in a 1A and 1B tandem and their are some great experienced goalies becoming FA and if one of them is left without chair when the music stops that could be deal on a good experienced goalie like Holtyby or even Lehner and teams are just scared of giving either a long term deal and Canucks could swoop in and get a discount on term and cap hit and have it bonus loaded.

Benning needs to kick the tires with Arizona and see if OEL is actually available to be traded and you try like hell to put a package together that includes Stetcher, Gaudette, Virtanen, Juelevi, Woo, and have to take Loui Ericksson, Brandon Sutter, to even out the cap hit changing teams. 

• Like 1

Toffoli - no to re-signing him. Good in the regular season, but pretty much a no-show in the playoffs. Same with Pearson.

Virtanen - gone - I'm not even a Virtanen hater. Trade him for some picks and/or package him.

These are the immediate ones that I think can be moved. The rest are difficult to move due to contract size.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think before this series, it was obvious the Canucks needed Marky. Granted it was only 3 games, but man I am astounded how Demko did, and cool as a damn cucumber. If nothing else, it gives Marky less leverage in negotiations if it is deemed he is no longer in a must-sign position.

At the same time, would it not make more sense to sign Marky then package Demko while his stock likely just rose?

We need to try to move out cap. That's extremely difficult given the 3-year flat situation, but we gotta try. Only when that happens do we really know what kind of dollars we have available.

In my mind, given these playoffs we need to improve on team size and strength. Ferland was supposed to help that but if he can't play then we need to find someone who can. 

Virtanen was brutally absent from these playoffs. If we can get a good return, it is time to move on and let another GM take over that project. Besides LE, he is the only one on the team that doesn't seem to "fit".

Pearson is expendable if we can find a replacement in Podkolzin. His stock is at an all-time high and he comes at a very reasonable cap hit so I expect a good return there.

Benning needs to find cap and move LE and Baer out. Both are still serviceable players so I am surprised it has been so hard. Add sweeteners. Whatever. Just get it done.

Re-sign Tanev. Sign Toffoli if he is reasonable, but given his playoff performance I was left unimpressed. He may not even want to if we ship out Pearson. Re-sign Leivo if healthy.

Consider signing Tryamkin for a year to see what he can do. If nothing else, he could be an absolute wrecking ball if he chooses to.

Besides size overall, I feel we still need more scoring ability from the blueline. Hughes is a stud, but I was left unimpressed with the lack of scoring from virtually every other defenseman not named Tanev. (He actually improved, but that isn't his thing). Hopefully Rathbone can be that guy? Not sure OJ will or even could be.

I would love Stecher to be signed for cheap if possible. He is really a 5th/6th kind of guy on a cup-winning team but I just love his attitude. Problem is we just don't have the room for him if we brought in another defenseman who can score.

Sign Motte, Big Mac, and Gaudette. Sign Fanta as our 7th D. Trade Benn and one of Beagle or Sutter. 

Lots of tweaks to make. We can't expect our goalies to win us a playoff series.

Edited by kloubek
  • Like 1

Ok I am ready.

Trade Sutter. I would strongly consider packaging Gaudette to move Eriksson. I am a touch worried he might get way better after this playoff XP tho. Trade Jamie Benn for a pick. 

So all in all..

Trade Brandon Sutter

Trade Jamie Benn

Trade Eriksson with a package if possible.

Release Chris Tanev

Re-sign Tyler Toffoli

Make Decisions on Troy Stecher and Jake Virtanen

Consider... trading Markstrom's rights unless.. he agrees to a cheaper contract with no trade protection.

If not...

Sign a Greiss or solid 1B goalie.

Edited by Rush17
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Toffoli - no to re-signing him. Good in the regular season, but pretty much a no-show in the playoffs. Same with Pearson.

Virtanen - gone - I'm not even a Virtanen hater. Trade him for some picks and/or package him.

These are the immediate ones that I think can be moved. The rest are difficult to move due to contract size.

Toffoli got hurt in game 1 and came back before he was 100%.  He was in a walking boot before he got airlifted in for Game 2. He was probably not even at 80% and yet he made contributions and helped us reach a game 7.

• Like 1

Boeser and Podkolzin for defensive prospects:  .  (Thinking out loud - not sure if I’d do - just playing armchair GM)

1) Sign Toffoli.

2) Boeser for Noah Dobson

3) Podkolzin and Juolevi for Bowen Byram and a low draft pick

4) Let Tanev walk

5) Let Markstrom walk

6) Rafferty as a sweetener to move Sutter

7) Baertschi trade at 50% retention

8) Trade Jordie Benn 

9) Sign Gaudette, Virtanen, Motte, and Stecher

10) Sign a cheap Veteran back up like Thomas Greiss

Next Season:

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen 

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Dobson

Byram-Stecher

Rathbone

Demko

Greiss

A year later in the off season:

1) Pearson and Edler come off the books.

2) Trade Eriksson to a cap floor team (will only have a year left on his contract + 2 million in real dollars).

3) Hoglander replaces Pearson in the line-up

4) Tryamkin replaces Edler in the line-up

5) Dipietro possibly replaces Greiss in the line-up (if Greiss gets claimed in the expansion draft).

2021-2022

Miller-Horvat-Toffoli

Hoglander-Pettersson-Virtanen

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen

Motte-Beagle-Lind

Byram-Dobson

Hughes-Myers

Tryamkin-Stecher

Demko

Greiss or Dipietro

It's amazing how an injury to Markstrom, where he was out for just 3 games, has changed a lot of people's minds about the readiness of Demko. JB may feel that moving on from Marky is a serious option.

If Marky didn't get injured, I wonder if Demko would've got any games in these playoffs? Likely NO, and we would all still be thinking that Marky was essential to resign, and Demko could be traded as a sweetener or to net some return before the Seattle ED takes him from us.

It is going to be interesting to see how the contract negotiations go with Marky now. He no longer has all of the leverage...

I'm really excited to see a full season from a motivated Zack MacEwan next year.  

Rafferty and Juolevi might even surprise.  

I still think the Canucks need to add some speed and size to the roster.  The top 6 if Toffoli re-signs will be just fine, heck probably even really good once he's back to 100 percent.  Despite Pearson having a bad series, I think we are going to see a very motivated player next season so I don't mind him back at all.  

I think Demko is the big surprise for me.  Are we starting to see the goalie JB projected him to be?  That's exciting