The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Your Report Card?

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

On 9/5/2020 at 6:57 PM, mikeyman109 said:

my take is more season based also.

Pettersson: A+ - Our best Forward.Skill and heart.

Miller: A+ - He is worth so much more than what we paid to get him./ great trade by JB

Toffoli: C+ Had an immediate impact upon arrival. Would love to resign him if he can be had for under 5

Horvat: B+ - Great leader, showed up big in the series with the Blues.

Pearson: D - Didn't think he had a good playoff, ok season ; some empty net goals.We need more than he provides

Boeser: C  tough year for Brock with his Dads health and missing camp. We need more from him if he is to stay with this group

Roussel: D not enough show for the dough. Writes checks the team cant cash. Not a smart series vs the Knights

Sutter: C- does not do enough for the salary cap implications. Not foundational at all.

Gaudette C still has a ways to go but i would play him over Sutter especially regular season.

Motte: A+ Core effort, sign him and keep him.

Beagle: C - Good defensively but I thought he could've been more physical and chipped in more offensively.Agreed

Virtanen:C+  If he could just be more consistent on what he brings to the game.Cant keep defending his lapses in judgement on and off the ice. Might be time for a change in scenery.

Macewen: B - I think he needs an expanded role next season. Has hands and is the type of grit we need against the bigger teams in the conference. I would play him over Jake.

Hughes: A+ Great player already and he will only get better.

Tanev: B+  Stayed healthy most of the season and playoffs. When healthy he is the Canucks best defensive D man,

Edler: B  I bash him but he is relatively consistent. Agree we need to find a way to give him less workload next season.

Myers: B+ -Bad calls against him in the playoffs, he is part of the reason Edler and Tanev stayed relatively healthy this season.

Stecher: B  played well enough in the playoffs to deserve a contract offer..

Fanta: C+ Played well for a depth D man, better than expected all season.

Benn: C+ Depth D man not a difference maker,

Juolevi: N/A- did not play enough to see what he can do but would like to see what he brings full time. Hope he has a great camp.

Markstrom: A+ our best player all season long and in the playoffs. Without him we dont get there. Looked great in playoffs as well. He has earned a bigger payday than we can afford to pay him.

Demko: A+ The future. He played incredible in the 3 games against the Knights but would like to see him in a full season.

I noticed a lot if fans here doesn't say a word about Loui. Googlie was one...

I can say this. MacEwan isn't close to Loui for now. Mac lost his role in the playoffs and looked as he didn't know what to do. Loui did his part and wasn't outplayed by the oppo. 

Pearson and Horvat missed Loui against Vegas. Greens mistake..

Toffoli shouldn't have played injuried neither should Green dig Marky in the ground.

Virtanen is in top6 next season. 

MacEwan isn't close to what Virtanen can do. 

Petey, Hughes, Tanev, Marky, Demko, Horvat, Motte gave most in playoffs. Then Miller, Stecher, Edler, Fantenberg.

Four players gone for now... 

Ferland and Rossell is the players I want out.

Roussell is a psycho that judges punish. And a bad mentor for Virtanen. Virtanen doesn't need such garbage close. Virtanen should look at Petey/Sedins on how to behave. 

Ferland is a moron when he gets into fights in the first games he should have kept himself quiet. So Ferland really &^@#ed the Canucks.

Loui isn't even close. Loui tries at least. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

On 9/4/2020 at 10:58 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

Rate the players since the play-ins:

Pettersson: A - Pretty damn good, had a couple poor games but overally an extremely effective forward.

Miller: A- - Had a bit of a rough patch with the injury but overall played fairly decently. Some games he was more effective than others.

Toffoli: B - Pretty good job. Solid finishing but lost his touch in a few games. Overall I'd take it.

Horvat: B- - Had a few incredible A+ games but for the rest of him he was completely invisible. He has the capability to drive plays, and we saw it in games (vintage Horvat) but then he has a whole bunch of games where he looks completely disinterested in taking the puck to the net. Only had 2 assists in 17 games, so that's another good indicator of his lack of play driving. He did have great finish, but just some games I expected him to want it more. Thought his playoff run years ago against Calgary was superb. He's the type of player that can hit everything that moves but he hardly brought any physicality this year.

Pearson: D - Awful playoffs, went through the motions.

Boeser: C - Similar to Horvat, I thought he had some games where he looked disinterested. Then other games he tried but had no success. Just lacked quality but I did think he had more interest in trying to do well than Horvat but Horvat is the better player.

Roussel: D - Had a few great games but largely looked like he didn't want to provide energy but he's supposed to be an energy guy.

Sutter: C- - Had a decent series and then completely went invisible. 

Gaudette: D- - Just looked overwhelmed. Had a couple games as an F but once he was put back in was at least capable of playing but definitely had a rough go.

Motte: A+ - I want that effort from every bottom 6 forward. Skill or not, that kind of never quit attitude wins you games. We need duplicates of this player. 

Beagle: C - Was good defensively, invisible offensively.

Virtanen: C - Too wishy/washy. Needed more physicality.

Macewen: B+ - Honestly needed more of him. Skill wise he wasn't effective but he made the other team have to compete to win. 

Hughes: A - Played scared a few games but otherwise a great playoff run. Once he figured out how to maneuver about and get his confidence going he was back on track

Tanev: A- - Great defensively aside from the odd game. We will miss his play. I think he held the defense together a lot of nights.

Edler: C - Had an amazing series against I believe Minnesota and then just went invisible. He can either be a great d-man or an absolute floater. 75% of the time I think he took the night off. Racked up penalty minutes and didn't control the zone. He has the ability to do so, but after playing like 5 straight great games he packed it in. 

Myers: B - Unfortunate the amount of bad calls against. We needed that brute force and he largely delivered. Could have been better defensively. 

Stecher: B - Had series' where he struggled but played well against Vegas and half of the games against St. Louis. I did like his compete though. 

Fanta: A- - For what he was expected to deliver he exceeded my expectations. Didn't make many mistakes which is what you really want out of your depth. Honestly thought he played his role extremely well. 

Benn: C- - He needed to bring physicality and he didn't. He could have been more similar to Myers and he didn't put in the effort.

Juolevi: A- - Small sample size but he did exceed my expectations. Played good defensively and made a few nice plays. 

Markstrom: A - Great goaltending but he didn't play up to his potential (AKA Godmode). 

Demko: A+ - Settle down, kid. 

I did my ratings largely based off of role and the potential they can bring to that role. Players like Petey, Boeser, Horvat, Edler, Hughes, etc. who can all be top end players I judge differently than players like Motte or Macewan or Beagle, etc. Consistency is a big factor in my ratings as well, which is why I thought players like Edler and Horvat who are capable of dictating play and can control games like we did see for a few of them underperformed sometimes. I also do the eye test, not the stats sheet test. Secondary assists I don't particularly care about. 

Edited by MikeyD
Edit: I quoted and then just re-did mine in the quotes lol