The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] OEL, Grabner to Vancouver for Gaudette, Stetcher, Virtanen, Ericksson and Juolevi

Arizona is taking calls on OEL and Benning should be calling him non stop to pry OEL and not having to give up Petterson, Miller, Hughes, Horvat, Edler, Boeser, Toffofli, Demko, Podkolzn, Rathbone, Hoglander then you have to swing for the fences. 

To Arizona 

Troy Stetcher RFA 

Jake Virtanen RFA

Adam Gaudette RFA

Juolevi $863k

Ericksson $6.0M 2 more years (already been paid his bonus and only $2 million in actual salary left) 

To Vancouver 

OEL $8.25M until 2026-2027 (If Vancouver also pays his bonus that is due that would help)

Grabner $3.35M (Last year of his deal)

Vancouver does this and

walks away from Tanev and Markstrom and trade their rights for draft picks

resign Toffofli to a 4 year deal

resign Fantanberg, Motte, MacEwan, Lievo

As for signing a goalie to fight with Demko for playing time, I would wait to see which of the big free agent goalies Markstrom, Lehner, Greiss, Crawford, Holtby doesn’t get a deal or panicks and wants to sign a short term deal to be on a good team.

Let’s hear what I did wrong now

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble

I agree it does look under whelming but they are all RFA’s and can be signed for cheap long term deals and then Arizona has half their team remade to be younger and faster and most importantly cheaper and taking on a 6 year contract with a NTC is not making it easy for too many teams to take that kind of term on for OEL. I think if Benning offered this to whoever is in charge there in The Coyotes front office they would take that deal. 

Also i understand loui is going the other way but we really need his 6mil off the books in general just for resigning our own guys, OEL at 8mil wouldnt really make our cap situation any better. Hughes and petey each will be in the 8-10mil area for both their new contracts

Edited by Superlative

Benning can make it work now as he has a farm system full of bottom 6 forwards and 5th and 6th Defenseman on Utica ready to come up and play and if OEL becomes available you see what you can do to get him on the Canucks as he is routinely the most underrated Defenseman in the entire NHL for several years now as he is always one of the reasons why the Coyotes has any kind of a chance is because he completely takes away the other teams best player night in and night out  for 22 minutes a night in a playoff series and is use to the Pacific division and the Canucks to have another legendary Swede on the backend for the Canucks to insulate Quinn Hughes to do his thing while OEL erases the other team’s best player 20plus minutes a night. 

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

LE has five million in salary and bonus money (1 million bonus to be paid out in the offseason after the end of the 20-21 season) left not 2 million in actual cash left.  No way Arizona takes that contract as part of a package deal.  

They take Ericksson because he has less money to pay out then Sutter and is equal for taking $8+ million in salary for the next 6 years on OEL deal. 

6 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

They take Ericksson because he has less money to pay out then Sutter and is equal for taking $8+ million in salary for the next 6 years on OEL deal. 

OEL is still a good player though.  Nobody wants a 35+ year old 4th line winger making 5 million in cash over the next two seasons.  And Sutter is also 30+ suffering from the ravages of injuries and is a fraction of the player he once was.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

6 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Big fat no. The guy is 29 and has seven more years making $8.25 million. A year from now Quinn Hughes will be asking, and getting, $10 million. So will Petey.  Or do you tell those two guys, " Sorry, but I blew the budget on OEL. and Ol' LE"? 

Teams win the cup with Defenseman like Pronger and Niedermayer and OEL is the closest thing the Canucks can find and he won’t be playing like a top 2 $8 million defenseman in the last 3 years of his deal but he will still be a top 4 like Edler and you need OEL now to upgrade on Tanev In order to take that next step. With under $35 million for Petey, Hughes, Horvat and OEL that is your core for making Stanley Cup appearances and $35 is very manageable. Arizona is trying to get rid of his massive contract too and not that many teams have cap space to swing this type of a deal. 

26 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Teams win the cup with Defenseman like Pronger and Niedermayer and OEL is the closest thing the Canucks can find and he won’t be playing like a top 2 $8 million defenseman in the last 3 years of his deal but he will still be a top 4 like Edler and you need OEL now to upgrade on Tanev In order to take that next step. With under $35 million for Petey, Hughes, Horvat and OEL that is your core for making Stanley Cup appearances and $35 is very manageable. Arizona is trying to get rid of his massive contract too and not that many teams have cap space to swing this type of a deal. 

I don't disagree that OEL would be an awesome addition to the Canucks. I just can't see the dollars and term working for Vancouver, both in the short term and the long term.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

To Arizona 

Troy Stetcher RFA - about $2.5m

Jake Virtanen RFA - about $3m

Adam Gaudette RFA - about $1.5m

Juolevi $863k

Ericksson $6.0M 2 more years (already been paid his bonus and only $2 million in actual salary left) 

To Vancouver 

OEL $8.25M until 2026-2027 (If Vancouver also pays his bonus that is due that would help)

Vancouver does this and

As for signing a goalie to fight with Demko for playing time, I would wait to see which of the big free agent goalies Markstrom, Lehner, Greiss, Crawford, Holtby doesn’t get a deal or panicks and wants to sign a short term deal to be on a good team.

Do you know why the Coyotes want to move on from OEL? It's not because he's a bad player.

The ONLY reason is that they are in cap hell next season. They have only $1.1m in cap space and need to sign another 6 players. They desperately need to shed cap.

With the above pieces you propose sending to Arizona they are taking on about $13-14m in cap.

And they would be losing only $11.6m trading OEL + Grabner.

They won't do this deal.

OEL is available but they will be wanting picks and high end prospects in return!

7 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Arizona is taking calls on OEL and Benning should be calling him non stop to pry OEL and not having to give up Petterson, Miller, Hughes, Horvat, Edler, Boeser, Toffofli, Demko, Podkolzn, Rathbone, Hoglander then you have to swing for the fences. 

To Arizona 

Troy Stetcher RFA 

Jake Virtanen RFA

Adam Gaudette RFA

Juolevi $863k

To Vancouver 

Vancouver does this and

Can't trade Tanev and Marky's rights, as they're UFAs

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

OEL is a top-pairing dman. That will require someone like Podz going the other way. Not a collection of mid-tier players and salary cap anchors.

Outside of LE there are no salary cap anchors just young players with playoff experience that have upside and as good as OEL is not a lot of teams can take on his contract and that is going to be the problem with Arizona trying to move him.