The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal][Chat] Markstrom or Demko or Both ?

What would you like the Canucks to do ?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only 3 real options..

I'm curious to see what Canuck nation thinks. Demko has incredible value right now after only a 3 game sample size. His numbers at every level are extraordinarily good.

Do we let Marky walk and try to sign Tanev and Toffoli ? Do we trade Demko while he value is through the roof for a younger defenseman and start grooming Dipietro ? Keep both goalies and swing a deal with Seattle ?

What do you guys say!

From my very elementary calculation of next year's cap space, we are at 77.4million (only 4.1mil of cap space) this is without signing Tanev, Toffoli and Stretcher too. Markstrom re-ups at 6mil. Virtanen and Gaudette 2mil a piece, but they may take us to arbitrary. Our defense will be dismal. Didn't even include bonuses. 

• Like 1

I think it depends what opportunities are presented. If we are able to sign Toffoli, Tanev and all of our RFAs by letting Marky walk, then we do it imo. But, that comes with it's own risk. Demko was outer worldly this week but 3 games does not make a goalie. Something to consider. We'd also need a decent backup.

If Toffoli doesn't want to re-sign here at a decent price then we try to sign Markstrom (with no NMC). This allows us to see what Demko gives us next year. Games would be close to 60/40 (Marky/Demko) depending on the play of each goalie. If we can't trade Markstrom or are in a position to have a playoff run, we likely protect Demko, exposing Markstrom.

A third but much less likely option is for us to let Marky and Toffoli walk, either let Stecher walk or trade Benn, and use that cap space to go after someone like Pietrangelo. This would obviously depend on what Piets is looking for contract wise.

A fourth also less likely option is to resign Toffoli and trade boeser for D. I know that is a controversial topic around here but it is an option if Toffoli re-signs. If Markstrom walks and we trade Boeser that actually allows us to take on 9M in salary, either through trade or UFA.

Basically I think a lot depends on what Toffoli's intentions are and what he can be re-signed for. I am assuming he will be signed at a similar rate to what he is currently making.

Benning has shown he'll do whatever moves he can to make this team a competitor. So keeping Marky and using Demko more clearly is the best goalie option from a pure talent pov. Not sure you'd find many better tandems for next season. 

But having said that, I can see a world where Demko+veteran goalie is good enough. 

Its really up to Marky and his agent. If he gets a ridiculous offer from Calgary or Toronto then its out of our hands, we can't re-sign Marky at any cost. 

I think Jim will try to keep them both for next year and then let Seattle do whatever Seattle does. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Would love to see both, especially if there's a # of condensed bubble series next year, I think the Canucks are going to need two really good goalies to survive that and a deep playoff run.  Markstrom seems like a very key part of the team culture so it would suck to see him go.

Saying that - the salary cap exists. And if he's asking for 6M on a multi-year term (this is probably his only lifetime chance to do so!), I don't know if it makes sense for the Canucks' future. I think going with Demko and signing a vet on 1 year deal or 2 year with a cheap second year (5.5M first year, 3M second year, etc.), like Corey Crawford, Thomas Greiss, Braden Holtby or Robin Lehner could be an OK alternative.

It'll be curious to see how COVID impacts people's decisions, and I hope they can fit Marky while improving the team.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Would love to see both, especially if there's a # of condensed bubble series next year, I think the Canucks are going to need two really good goalies to survive that and a deep playoff run.  Markstrom seems like a very key part of the team culture so it would suck to see him go.

Saying that - the salary cap exists. And if he's asking for 6M on a multi-year term (this is probably his only lifetime chance to do so!), I don't know if it makes sense for the Canucks' future. I think going with Demko and signing a vet on 1 year deal or 2 year with a cheap second year (5.5M first year, 3M second year, etc.), like Corey Crawford, Thomas Greiss, Braden Holtby or Robin Lehner could be an OK alternative.

It'll be curious to see how COVID impacts people's decisions, and I hope they can fit Marky while improving the team.

If Marky is willing to sign for under 6mil AAV then things look great for next year. Keep them both and then there will be a market for one of them prior to the expansion draft.

If Marky wants well north of 6 mil, then you just have to say thanks and wish him the best. 

There will be markets for Marky, he'll have to decide if Calgary, Carolina, etc. are where he wants to be. 

43 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

From my very elementary calculation of next year's cap space, we are at 77.4million (only 4.1mil of cap space) this is without signing Tanev, Toffoli and Stretcher too. Markstrom re-ups at 6mil. Virtanen and Gaudette 2mil a piece, but they may take us to arbitrary. Our defense will be dismal. Didn't even include bonuses. 

Benning has to move Loui. After the performance this team just put in I'd say its a near lock we'll be trading the 2021 1st rounder to move him. 

• Vintage 1

I wonder if Marky would take a short term contract that expires the year Seattle chooses him. In that case couldn't we expose him, and Seattle might pass up on a pending FA? or maybe sign him 1 year longer so he only has 1 year left when they choose.

regardless, Demko is the right age to grow with the group. He's the core guy when we win the cup.

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

If Marky is willing to sign for under 6mil AAV then things look great for next year. Keep them both and then there will be a market for one of them prior to the expansion draft.

If Marky wants well north of 6 mil, then you just have to say thanks and wish him the best. 

There will be markets for Marky, he'll have to decide if Calgary, Carolina, etc. are where he wants to be. 

I agree. I'm sure Markyy is balancing between his fit with this team + players (really strong!) and what will be his biggest opportunity to make cash money. Hoping he wants to stick around but couldn't blame him if he wants to get his payday either.

3 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I agree. I'm sure Markyy is balancing between his fit with this team + players (really strong!) and what will be his biggest opportunity to make cash money. Hoping he wants to stick around but couldn't blame him if he wants to get his payday either.

thats it exactly. I wouldn't begrudge him going for $, these guys have a short earning window and good for him if TO overpays him. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

incorrect we have more space than that we were cap compliant this yr tanev toffoli stecher markstrom virtanen and gaudette cap hits add up to around 16 mill  until they all resign they are off the books  plus ferland will either be on long term injury reserve or retire  we have more space than u think thats before anyone gets traded 

Would prefer both but doubtful that it could happen.

If we lose Marky sign a veteran goalie for 2 years. Crawford>Khudobin/Griess. Prefer Crawford because he has a ton of experience and pedigree and could rub off Demko the right way like Marky with Ryan Miller.

Play both goalies 35+ games. 1A/1B situation, keep them both fresh.

• Cheers 1

hopefully marky will sign a one yr deal  and share net with demko next yr  with no no trade clause   that way we trade one at deadline or at end of yr before seattle expansion  uf hes not open to that. benning can either resign him and trade demko for max value   sabres ottawa  sharks wings all have top ten picks  and all need a good goalie   i think teams would over pay for what he did in last 3 games  perhaps we could draft  that elusive right handed dman we are missing 

2 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Only 3 real options..

I'm curious to see what Canuck nation thinks. Demko has incredible value right now after only a 3 game sample size. His numbers at every level are extraordinarily good.

Do we let Marky walk and try to sign Tanev and Toffoli ? Do we trade Demko while he value is through the roof for a younger defenseman and start grooming Dipietro ? Keep both goalies and swing a deal with Seattle ?

What do you guys say!

I would keep Demko and walk from Markstrom, but I’m also wondering if it would be possible to get Markstrom to agree to a sign and trade so that we receive assets?   Probably not possible unfortunately.