The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal][Chat] Markstrom or Demko or Both ?

What would you like the Canucks to do ?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I posted in a thread that demko would take over the net and was ridiculed by some because they felt there was no upgrade to Markstrom, he was the best.

Well, even if it was an injury Demko got the net and Green would have been insane to put Markstrom back in considering Demko's performance.

Markstrom or Demko?

Here is another aspect.

If all the players needing new deals accept just a 10% increase, I believe that is a qualifying offer that comes to an additional 10.6 mil just to keep the status quo, that would be 10.6 mil on top of the existing 86+mil cap hit. 10.6 mil only represents a 10% increase of expiring contracts.

Letting Markstrom go saves not only his raise but the contract, 4.4 mil in one player, letting Toffoli go saves 5,3 mil, so with two players alone the gets the team close to 10 mil.

They still need to tighten the belt but not at the cost of more of the future.

These vets showed what they have left and they are guaranteed to be around for another couple of years, they didn't necessarily hurt the team, but they didn't add to much to either.

17 minutes ago, rawkdrummer said:

Sign Markstrom but protect Demko from the expansion draft.

Markstrom will have to be protected because his demand is for a NMC contract of course they could give him an Eriksson contract, that was immovable withut the clauses.

But then they have to trade one of them, pretty sure Demko doesn't want to be a life back up to Markstrom and that gives other teams and advantage in negotiating a trade.

Anything good for the Canucks is even better for Seattle

Edited by Lazurus

I'd keep Demko at this point. Markstrom will likely command a 6M to 6.5M deal. Considering flat cap this year, likely only a small raise (at best) next year, we have too many commitments and too little room. If the cap was going up by 4-5M, we could keep both. But, the team is now close to a finished product, and wherever a $$ or two can be saved to sign, say, a top 4 RHD or some quality 2 way player to enhance the third line, the better. 

I know Markie has said he wants to stay here, but if some team waves >$6M at him, he'd be foolish to not jump. It would be the only time he could ever command those numbers. Demko has seemingly proved he can be a #1 in this league, especially after the playoffs this year.

Best comparison(situation) I can think of offhand, would be TBay a few yrs back. They let Bishop go & went with the younger guy, in Vasilevsky.

I think we should do the same thing. This isn't JUST basing things on 3 games. We've been grooming this gt since 2014.

& these 3 starts have been historically EPIC(J Plante level). If they could, would prob lock Thatcher in(asap) to something like Hellebuck's deal.

Markstrom has huge talent. But the composure TD exhibited was otherworldly. We neeed a second alien back there.

Due to COVID(& coming ED) can't dither. Let Jacob go nab the huge payday he's earned.

Keep Demko and let Markstrom walk or trade his rights to a team like Chicago that needs a goalie and would be looking to sign Markstrom when he becomes a UFA. 
It does not make sense to sign Markstrom to a 5 or 6 year deal at $5-$6 million cap hit when Demko is here and can play just as good for a fraction and just need to find him an experienced back up like Corey Crawford or Thomas Greiss or if the Canucks get lucky Brayden Holtby doesn’t get many long term deals and is willing to do a 2 or 3 year contract for like $5 million to play on a good team and play for a cup then that would be a steal but that is a what if scenario. 

1 hour ago, rawkdrummer said:

Sign Markstrom but protect Demko from the expansion draft.

You can only protect 1 goalie and the cost to be paid to protect both would be extreme. Especially given they will be our biggest rival. The deal would have to blow them away to accept it.

I know it's a small sample size, but the past 3 games Demko has shown he can elevate his game to a different level. 

We have one of, if not the best goaltending coach in Ian Clark and with his mentorship i think Demko will only get better. His age also fits in our long term plan to become a contender. 

If i had to chose im going with Demko. I don't know if we could do a sign and trade for Marky but we need to get something for him at least. 

• Like 1

Given our cap situation and given what we’ve seen from Demko, we need to take a calculated risk here and move on from Markstrom.

1) Let Markstrom walk

2) Sign a 1A vet goalie like Thomas Greiss and go into the season with the expectation that Demko will play 60% of the games.  If Demko proves worthy of handling a bigger load and plays at the caliber that we saw him these past two games, give him more games.

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:
  • id trade Demko  to sharks sens wings or sabres for a top 10 pick his value will never be higher  draft a right d stud  offer Markstrom 5 yr deal 6.5 mill if not let him walk

I could get on board with this, depending on what our overall cap strategy is.   

8 hours ago, canuktravella said:

incorrect we have more space than that we were cap compliant this yr tanev toffoli stecher markstrom virtanen and gaudette cap hits add up to around 16 mill  until they all resign they are off the books  plus ferland will either be on long term injury reserve or retire  we have more space than u think thats before anyone gets traded 

eriksson might retire or get the kovalchuk hand shake and find another team which would give us more, plus a trade or two would get us what we want

Choosing Demko over Markstrom might not alleviate our cap challenges as much as we think:  

Many of us have been pondering the idea of moving on from Markstrom so that we can proceed forward with the younger and cheaper Demko as a way of alleviating our short term cap issues.    Demko however, like Pettersson and Hughes, will be an RFA next season.  In other words, if Demko lights it up next season, the Canucks could be looking at not just two huge extensions (Petey and Hughes), but three huge extensions.

Oh - and if Juolevi, Rathbone, or :::insert young Canucks dman:::: isn’t ready to step up and replace Edler, letting Edler walk away for free could be a huge hit to our defense (my hope is that Tryamkin returns to us at the end of next season).  

In other words - the Canucks best play might still be in using Demko as a sweetener to rid themselves of a bad contract.   Demko has proven himself in these playoffs and he likely will be a big enough sweetener to get rid of the Eriksson contract now.   

37 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Choosing Demko over Markstrom might not alleviate our cap challenges as much as we think:  

Many of us have been pondering the idea of moving on from Markstrom so that we can proceed forward with the younger and cheaper Demko as a way of alleviating our short term cap issues.    Demko however, like Pettersson and Hughes, will be an RFA next season.  In other words, if Demko lights it up next season, the Canucks could be looking at not just two huge extensions (Petey and Hughes), but three huge extensions.

Oh - and if Juolevi, Rathbone, or :::insert young Canucks dman:::: isn’t ready to step up and replace Edler, letting Edler walk away for free could be a huge hit to our defense (my hope is that Tryamkin returns to us at the end of next season).  

In other words - the Canucks best play might still be in using Demko as a sweetener to rid themselves of a bad contract.   Demko has proven himself in these playoffs and he likely will be a big enough sweetener to get rid of the Eriksson contract now.   

we arent trading demko to get rid of eriksson wed  waive him before that happens demko can get a top 10 draft pick with his play  this week

Crazy thought that doesn't deserve it's own thread.

-- Let marky walk  (Sad, would like to keep him) 

-- Trade:  Sutter and Rousell to Vegas for Marc-A-F

or:

Sutter and Jake to Vegas for Marc-A-F.

Reasons:

-- Fleury has 7 million left for the next two years, but he doesn't have to be expansion draft protected, gives Demko another year of development.

-- Marky is going to get 5.5+/year,  

-- Sutter is 4.3 for one more year

--Roussel is 3x2

-- Jake will get 2+

Reasons for us:

That is 7 million coming in for a goalie that is good and could split starts with Demko and be exposed during expansion

-- We have 11-13 million leaving including the Marky savings  (Sutter - Jake - Marky = 11-12 while Sutter-roussel- Marky = 13 out)

-- Resign Toffoli, resign Levo

Reasons for Vegas:

-- they fix their back-stabbed goalie issue, replacing a 2 year bad contract (MAF) with a 1 year bad contract (Sutter)

-- Its a wash cap wise for them.

• Like 1