The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Season Adjustments

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

Agree that the bottom six needs a make over. The only player in the bottom six that should stay long term is Motte. Time to move on from one of Sutter or Beagle (more preferably Sutter). I wouldn't move Gaudette just yet but it has to be made clear to him that he need to do major work to his game if he wants to be a main stay and driver on the third line. Virt experiment is over. He either should be traded for whatever we can get or be paid like a fourth liner. I will reserve opinion on Mac cause he didn't really play much. Roussell can go to open up space for Lind or Mac.

Defense also gonna require a overhaul. Benn shoudl be traded bit with only one more year on his contract, it is not that much of an issue. Fanta should be retained if possible. Stecher, bless his heart, should be let go. He just doesn't have the size for the playoffs and be paid for what he will be asking and we probably need his spot to give to Juolevi or Rathbone. Edler is here to stay until next season and frankly he is still out number 2 D. Now the question here is Tanev. He is great at what he does but at the same time we need more physicality and speed from the top 4. May have to let him go and spend his cap somewhere else. 

Top 6 for the most part is not gonna do much movement until Pod or Hog gets in. We probably want an upgrade on Pearson but he is serviceable for now. Tofu should be retained if possible to solidify the top six. Boeser on the other hand should be looked at what we can get for him. If he can bring back a big fast top 4 d, it might not be a bad idea to trade him. He was not the problem but he sure can be the solution in a trade. 

Goalies. Try to bring Marky back but the line in the sand is NMC. He he is adamant on a nmc or full ntc, than let him go and sign a goalie like Holtby to share the net with demko next season. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Speed, size, playmakers and puck movers in the bottom six and defense is what is needed. Agree completely about blowing up the bottom six. I actually thought Beagle was fairly useless so I have to disagree there. Motte and Macewen are the only bottom six players I'd keep, the rest don't skate well enough. Jake skates fine but I'd agree it's time to move on. Our lack of foot speed and size was painfully obvious against Vegas.

1 minute ago, FlyLow_ said:

Speed, size, playmakers and puck movers in the bottom six and defense is what is needed. Agree completely about blowing up the bottom six. I actually thought Beagle was fairly useless so I have to disagree there. Motte and Macewen are the only bottom six players I'd keep, the rest don't skate well enough. Jake skates fine but I'd agree it's time to move on. Our lack of foot speed and size was painfully obvious against Vegas.

We still need one of Sutter or Beagle for the pk but we definitely don't need both of them. Gaudette is still young so wouldn't move away from him just yet unless a team over pays or is willing to take Erickson with him. 

6 minutes ago, Screw said:

I think the comming expansion will provide opportunity for the Canucks.  I think Hughes is exempt.  I would only protect OJ and Myers from the current defense.  

There are more than a few teams that would need to expose quality defensemen.   I can see a chance to add a top 3 defenseman if JB plays his cards right.

Lol protection for the expansion draft is easy for the D. Like you said Myers, OJ, and whomever replaces Tanev or Tanev (we have to protect 3 anyways). Edlers contact expires at end of next season so no need to protect him.

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Lol protection for the expansion draft is easy for the D. Like you said Myers, OJ, and whomever replaces Tanev or Tanev (we have to protect 3 anyways). Edlers contact expires at end of next season so no need to protect him.

Exactly,  other teams not so much.  Some teams will need to expose a defenseman that could easily slot in the Canucks top 3 and be protected.

50 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Something similar to the hogdson and kassian trade, two prospects that underachieved and its a gamble on who wins the trade 

Sad to say but I think either Markstrom or Demko has played their last game as a Canuck.

I don’t see any scenario where Markstrom accepts a deal without a NMC. In which case you either let him walk or trade Demko now.

As soon as Markstrom signs with a NMC there’s no way any team gives us full value for Demko as we would be handcuffed.

So they better have a clear idea who their guy is. Letting Demko go for nothing is not an option. It’s trade him now or let Marsktrom walk, I don’t see there being any in between.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sad to say but I think either Markstrom or Demko has played their last game as a Canuck.

I don’t see any scenario where Markstrom accepts a deal without a NMC. In which case you either let him walk or trade Demko now.

As soon as Markstrom signs with a NMC there’s no way any team gives us full value for Demko as we would be handcuffed.

So they better have a clear idea who their guy is. Letting Demko go for nothing is not an option. It’s trade him now or let Marsktrom walk, I don’t see there being any in between.

Damn Seattle. Already starting to hate them before they even have a player signed. :P

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Damn Seattle. Already starting to hate them before they even have a player signed. :P

I mean maybe there’s a slight chance Markstrom is okay with the idea of playing in Seattle if it comes to it. And he accepts the challenge of having to prove he’s the guy over Demko.

I just don’t see with the leverage he has him accepting a deal without a NMC though. Guaranteed he could get one on the open market. And also choose the team he wants to go to.

Edited by DeNiro

2 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

What a season/play offs it was, one for the books and certainly one to be proud of! 

Now we have to time to think about how to take that next step and what we can learn from losing to the knights where goaltending was everything and shots on goal were nothing 

I would like to blow up the bottom six, we need secondary scoring to help out, the only ones that should be in the bottom six next season is motte, beagle and macEwen(I thought he should have been in Vegas series). I believe the virtanen experiment is over and guadette is just not what is needed. 

We do now have a goalie controversy but I believe we do need to lock marky up and make a decision later on. 

finally, we had every chance to win the game with our power play opportunities and came out with barley a shot on goal, it’s time to move on from Newell brown and get some freshness on the pp

what would you like to see. 

Guadette just finished his 2nd season with 33 points in 59 games.  It usually takes 3-4 years until they become a good NHL player.  He will be a scoring 3rd line center in future.   They need to draft fast, big, gritty players who can score a bit in the later rounds, develop them into bottom six players.  Big Mac is already one of them.

• Vintage 3

2 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

What a season/play offs it was, one for the books and certainly one to be proud of! 

Now we have to time to think about how to take that next step and what we can learn from losing to the knights where goaltending was everything and shots on goal were nothing 

I would like to blow up the bottom six, we need secondary scoring to help out, the only ones that should be in the bottom six next season is motte, beagle and macEwen(I thought he should have been in Vegas series). I believe the virtanen experiment is over and guadette is just not what is needed. 

We do now have a goalie controversy but I believe we do need to lock marky up and make a decision later on. 

finally, we had every chance to win the game with our power play opportunities and came out with barley a shot on goal, it’s time to move on from Newell brown and get some freshness on the pp

what would you like to see. 

i don't see how you just *blow up* the bottom 6.. we are cap strapped team knows it they are not gonna just take players and contract off of u. we don't even have enough to sign our goalie + toffoli and 2 of our defenseman. ridding virtanen and gaudette ain't gonna help with the cap situation.

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Big decisions for JB to make for sure.

Interesting that Hawks won 3 cups with 3 different goalies.  

I know Markstrom is a leader in the room and it would be tough to let him walk, but I think you gotta go with Demko.

Markstrom has shown what he can be at his peak. A goalie that can steal you games and make spectacular saves. But also can be quite inconsistent at times. Maybe you can win a cup with him but the window is shorter and his cap hit wont help with improving other parts of the roster.

Demko on the other hand is just starting to show his potential. Yes it’s a small sample size  but they’ve been watching this guy develop for 6 years now and he’s shown he can be a big game goalie. I don’t think you can give up on that potential. Especially considering you can get him locked in long term now for a much lower cap hit. He also seems to be quite popular in the room too. 

Tough decision for sure and I don’t envy Benning for having to make it.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Screw said:

Exactly,  other teams not so much.  Some teams will need to expose a defenseman that could easily slot in the Canucks top 3 and be protected.

How do we get that Dman, though.  Were not drafting, just exposing.  Would you be willing to give up a Rathbone or Podz to get him, cos that's what another team would ask for (and possibly a draft pick sweetener as well)

It wasn't the defense that sunk us - it was the offense. We were shut out 4 times in the 7 games we lost