The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Season Adjustments

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

14 minutes ago, Googlie said:

How do we get that Dman, though.  Were not drafting, just exposing.  Would you be willing to give up a Rathbone or Podz to get him, cos that's what another team would ask for (and possibly a draft pick sweetener as well)

It wasn't the defense that sunk us - it was the offense. We were shut out 4 times in the 7 games we lost

no it was actually the defence that stunk. If you cant make a play to get out of your own zone your not going to get many offensive chances. Half the time they were even failing to flip it out of the zone which is their strength sad to say. Trying to skate it out they would have to circle back into their own zone and then get caught by the forcheck.

Lather, rinse, repeat as Beiksa said.

Juolevi replacing Benn will be an upgrade. Stetcher is okay but likely comes down to cost in which case maybe Rafferty, Brisebois or Rathbone (unlikely next year although I have always been high on him) steps in.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Try and keep Tofolli, Markstrom, Tanev and Fantenberg.

Find a way out of Eriksson (difficult)

See if Sutter can be moved

Ferland remains on LTIR for the duration of his contract

Trade or buy out Benn

Trade or buyout Baertschi 

Sign Domingue for 1 year, 950k (reliable but cheap nackup)

Give Virtanen a 1 year 1.5 million, show me contract 

Sign Stecher at 2.75 for 2 years

Motte 2 - 2.25

Gaudette for 1 year, 1.25 million

MacEwan for 925k, one way

Let Leivo walk

• Cheers 1

Some really tough decisions coming up and the best part of a long run is a shorter off season (hopefully)

My wish list.

Sutter, Roussel, Benn - Traded

Toffoli re-signed 

Marky re-signed to 1 year deal

Upgrade Defence

The trades are self explanatory, we need cap space and these players look to be replaceable internally. 

Toffoli solidifies the top 6 and should come at an affordable cap hit.

Time and time again we've seen the advantage of having 2 capable goalies.  Having the tandem of Marky and Demko would be scary good.   I don't think Marky would sign a 1 year deal but he's a team guy and I have a feeling he's willing to work with the team to stay put.  What that looks like remains to be seen and if we have to let him walk and go with Demko I have no problem with that.

Upgrading the D could be solved internally as well and I feel is the most intriguing part of the team for next season.  

Juolevi - Finally healthy and could be the biggest addition to the Defence.  Great skating, excellent first pass and known for his cerebral game.  Let's not forget the kid is also a winner.

Rathbone - Slick skater, plays a heavy game and has a rocket of a shot.  Could potentially play the right side as a lefty.

Rafferty - Utica's top scoring Dman.  Great vision and can put up points but is his defensive game good enough for the show.

Tryamkin - The biggest question mark.  Will he come back and where is his game at.  

UFA/Trade 

Exciting times ahead!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Agree that the bottom six needs a make over. The only player in the bottom six that should stay long term is Motte. Time to move on from one of Sutter or Beagle (more preferably Sutter). I wouldn't move Gaudette just yet but it has to be made clear to him that he need to do major work to his game if he wants to be a main stay and driver on the third line. Virt experiment is over. He either should be traded for whatever we can get or be paid like a fourth liner. I will reserve opinion on Mac cause he didn't really play much. Roussell can go to open up space for Lind or Mac.

Defense also gonna require a overhaul. Benn shoudl be traded bit with only one more year on his contract, it is not that much of an issue. Fanta should be retained if possible. Stecher, bless his heart, should be let go. He just doesn't have the size for the playoffs and be paid for what he will be asking and we probably need his spot to give to Juolevi or Rathbone. Edler is here to stay until next season and frankly he is still out number 2 D. Now the question here is Tanev. He is great at what he does but at the same time we need more physicality and speed from the top 4. May have to let him go and spend his cap somewhere else. 

Top 6 for the most part is not gonna do much movement until Pod or Hog gets in. We probably want an upgrade on Pearson but he is serviceable for now. Tofu should be retained if possible to solidify the top six. Boeser on the other hand should be looked at what we can get for him. If he can bring back a big fast top 4 d, it might not be a bad idea to trade him. He was not the problem but he sure can be the solution in a trade. 

Goalies. Try to bring Marky back but the line in the sand is NMC. He he is adamant on a nmc or full ntc, than let him go and sign a goalie like Holtby to share the net with demko next season. 

i love the way u laid it out.

Motte and gaud should  be the only one's staying from bottom six.

seen enough of virtanen, im sure he gone by start of next season

Troy has all the heart , but we need size. We need a mobile defensive dman over him, some like parayko but less expensive.

I would keep tanev thou. Huge hole to fill if he leaves.

I honestly have seen enuf of boeser as well. i dont think he ever gona get more than 30 goals or 60 points in a season. Laine would fit very well on the right side of petey. 

pearson is done. He sucked badly in vegas series.

ferland is done too.

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

How do we get that Dman, though.  Were not drafting, just exposing.  Would you be willing to give up a Rathbone or Podz to get him, cos that's what another team would ask for (and possibly a draft pick sweetener as well)

It wasn't the defense that sunk us - it was the offense. We were shut out 4 times in the 7 games we lost

When teams are forced to expose a player and lose him to expansion or recoup value via trade then it alters the market.  You may be right in terms of cost in a regular scenario.  I am specifically looking at the situation created during this comming expansion.

• Cheers 1

Seeing as how we had no answer for the VGK forecheck. 

We badly need some more puck moving defenseman. They double teamed Hughes cause they know he's the only guy who's a legit puck-mover. Our current Defense played admirably but are very lacking in foot speed and it showed. I'd like to see what we have in Juolevi and Rathbone. Juolevi makes a great first pass and Rathbone has speed and can rush the puck. If these guys pan out it would help immensely against a team like VGK. Instead of getting hemmed in by their forecheck we would be countering with an odd man rush the other way cause they're so aggressive. When VGK was beaten in 5 games by Washington they gave up a ton of odd man rushes. 

Bottom 6

I'm not ready to move on from Virtanen quite yet, his improvement this season is intriguing, although he doesn't play a heavy game like i'd wish he would. 

Motte is a keeper lock him up! 

Podkolzin is going to be a game changer for us, a puck hound with size that will cause chaos around the crease. 

Other than that we just need to keep developing our prospects and surround them with quality support players. I firmly believe this will be the core that will win us our first cup. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hard to score when the D can’t move the pucks up to the forwards efficiently.

Pretty hard to generate anything when every pass you get is being chipped to you off the glass or being intercepted before it gets to you.

Moving the puck quickly up the ice from our own zone is exactly the reason we lost. The D needs at least two high end puck movers before we can contend.

Or... or... a defensive strategy to match the players the GM brings in.

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Or... or... a defensive strategy to match the players the GM brings in.

The team has to have an identity though. 

Having D men who collapse and block shots and can’t move the puck proficiently to the forwards who want to hit the neutral zone with speed doesn’t work.

Quinn Hughes is the only player we currently have that can do that consistently. He can’t play 60 minutes a night though.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

What a season/play offs it was, one for the books and certainly one to be proud of! 

Now we have to time to think about how to take that next step and what we can learn from losing to the knights where goaltending was everything and shots on goal were nothing 

I would like to blow up the bottom six, we need secondary scoring to help out, the only ones that should be in the bottom six next season is motte, beagle and macEwen(I thought he should have been in Vegas series). I believe the virtanen experiment is over and guadette is just not what is needed. 

We do now have a goalie controversy but I believe we do need to lock marky up and make a decision later on. 

finally, we had every chance to win the game with our power play opportunities and came out with barley a shot on goal, it’s time to move on from Newell brown and get some freshness on the pp

what would you like to see. 

I agree with everything you said. 

For me Motte, and Beagle stay. Sutter Gaudette, Virtanen, Roussel, Ferland, Eriksson and Markstrom can go

I would like to target Branden Tanev for third line LW,  Cody Eakin for third line C, and Luke Kunin for second line RW 

Im not sure if we have the pieces to make it work or if the logistics make sense but these guy are a big improvement to what we had.

All these guys can skate, crash and bang and do well in playoff hockey. 

I also think we need to transition prospects into the line up so we have enough money to pay Hughes and Pettersson. Also Motte deserves more money

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Kunin

Tanev Eakin Toffoli 

Motte Beagle MacEwan 

Hoglander 

Hughes Tanev 

Edler Stetcher

Fantenberg Myers

Rafferty 

Demko 

Dipietro 

Edit - put Myers back in the line up

Edited by kenhodgejr

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

I agree with everything you said. 

For me Motte, and Beagle stay. Sutter Gaudette, Virtanen, Roussel, Ferland, Eriksson and Myers Markstrom can go

I would like to target Branden Tanev for third line LW,  Cody Eakin for third line C, and Luke Kunin for second line RW 

Im not sure if we have the pieces to make it work or if the logistics make sense but these guy are a big improvement to what we had.

All these guys can skate, crash and bang and do well in playoff hockey. 

I also think we need to transition prospects into the line up so we have enough money to pay Hughes and Pettersson. Also Motte deserves more money

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Kunin

Tanev Eakin Toffoli 

Motte Beagle MacEwan 

Hughes Tanev 

Edler Stetcher

Fantenberg Rafferty 

Juolevi Rathbone

Demko 

Dipietro 

What Myers was fine and is the only physical D we have in the backend.

Otherwise yeah sounds like a plan.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The team has to have an identity though. 

Having D men who collapse and block shots and can’t move the puck proficiently to the forwards who want to hit the neutral zone with speed doesn’t work.

Quinn Hughes is the only player we currently have that can do that consistently. He can’t play 60 minutes a night though.

You can say that, sure, but wadr, that’s a pretty casual take, not to say you’re wrong, but maybe looking too much at one aspect of the big picture. I agree you need skill Dmen to move the puck, but that’s not my point. 

Two things can be true at the same time.

As in, what you said in your post, and the other bit that you didn’t, which is coaching to what you have to work with. Don’t just pin this on the (quality of) players. 

My point was that our coaching of the defensive structure, popularly knows as by Dzone exits and transition, needs to fit the players the GM supplies the roster with. If not, that’s on the GM. 

Consider that it’s not just the quality or skill of our Dmen being why the puck seemed to never leave our zone for minutes at a time, but also the coaching philosophy and structure of the Canucks coaching staff.

The Canucks set records this year on that front. - Not because Fanta can’t pass the puck tape-to-tape, but because of systems being tactically preyed upon until the peewee style play of flipping the puck out of the Dzone was deemed an appropriate response from the coaching staff. Do you think that was the players’ decision to execute, or the coaches’? 

Interestingly, nobody is talking about that liability; for all the praise JB has received for managing this playoff run, I’ve not read much questioning his management of the blue line beyond criticism of a lack of quality puck carriers. JB has to look at what went so poorly that his 5 million dollar Dmen were “flipping” the puck up and into 50/50 plays at center ice. He is responsible for that product, no matter how you slice it. Rather than blame the Dmen for being absolutely dominated in their own end, maybe try looking at the game from another 100 feet up, where you’ll notice the exposed structure and it’s place in the record books. 

FWIW, I’d imagine that Vegas would have hunted down, intimidated and destroyed the typical finesse Dman you are requesting, regardless, and Fanta and Benn would have been in as replacement parts anyways. It was that kind of a run for the Dcore. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

17 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

What Myers was fine and is the only physical D we have in the backend.

Otherwise yeah sounds like a plan.

Ya i was on the fence about Myers because of the penalties he took. Also seemed to get caught taking long shifts. However his size adds a much needed element on the back end.  I think Rafferty has a lot to offer and wanted to see him get a chance next season. Also I like Stetcher and Tanev and was hoping they would stay. Maybe Rafferty is the extra defence man 

Forwards

Toffoli - sign as long as it doesn’t exceed 5.5. I think he’s too good of a fit on Petey’s wing to let him walk. 

Leivo - I’m hoping he comes back. A perfect third liner in my mind. I’m sure we can sign him for a very low cap hit as well. 

Virtanen - It’s difficult to say what the market value would be for him, but if we could package him and a B prospect for a fast, big #3 defensemen then I’d be all for that. Virt has so many weapons but his low hockey IQ (by NHL standards) and his frustrating beyond belief inconsistency in effort, make me feel that it’s time to move on. I don’t think these playoffs did much to help his value, but hopefully his 18 goal shortened season is still fresh enough in other teams’ minds. 

Sutter - man if there can any takers for him out there, then we take it and run. Just too slow, and so often looks completely winded when back checking (head down and gasping all while moving relatively slowly). I commend his effort, but I think Father Time is catching up to him. 

Defensemen 

Tanev - being banged up so often he will undoubtedly want term probably over dollars. If Benning can work some negotiating magic and sign him to a very reasonable contract then I’d love to see him stick around for a couple more seasons. He compliments Hughes so well that I’d hate to see him leave. Also, he’s just such a warrior. 

Fantenburg - a solid 7 D option. I’m sure we can resign him to a 1-2 year contract for pretty cheap. 

Stetcher - I love this kid’s heart, but if he could be use a piece in a trade to either unload Sutter for a usable piece coming back the other way, or packaged with Virtanen to get a true #3 d man, then I’m all for it. 

Juolevi / Rathbone / Rafferty - time to give these guys some lengthy looks. Time for some fresh blood and more speed on our backend. 

Goalies

Demko - our goalie of the future and probably even present

Markstrom - Resign him only if a NMC doesn’t apply to the expansion draft. We absolutely cannot lose Demko in that draft. 

All in all, I feel that we need more speed and tenacity sprinkled throughout our line up. If we could have an entire bottom six with the heart of a lion like Motte then I’d be happy. I love that “high motor” guys is what we targeted in the last few drafts because those types of guys, and a lot of them, are exactly what every team needs to win. Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone and even the forgotten man Woo are exactly those types of players and I’m estatic that they’re all property of the Canucks. With the high end youth we currently have and those prospects coming up, I think we’ll be dangerous for years to come. 

• Upvote 1