The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Season Adjustments

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

Rafferty, Juolevi, MacEwan make the team.  

Best buds Toffoli and Pearson re signed OR go get Josh Anderson

Motte re-signed.  

Im on the fence about Gaudette/Virtanen/Stetcher.  I think they are good players, but could be trade pieces to help the team improve the bottom 6/get some cap relief.  

Close your eyes and flip a coin on Demko/Markstrom.

4 hours ago, Conscience said:

Pearson Boeser Toffoli are all too similar slow players.  2/3 is enough 

I ship Boeser out for a physical dman and resign toffoli for less than Brocks 7mil.

We really need a dominant 3rd line center, someone who can can be trusted against top lines. 

Would Derek Grant work as I believe he is a UFA?

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Sad to say but I think either Markstrom or Demko has played their last game as a Canuck.

I don’t see any scenario where Markstrom accepts a deal without a NMC. In which case you either let him walk or trade Demko now.

As soon as Markstrom signs with a NMC there’s no way any team gives us full value for Demko as we would be handcuffed.

So they better have a clear idea who their guy is. Letting Demko go for nothing is not an option. It’s trade him now or let Marsktrom walk, I don’t see there being any in between.

Personally, as much as I love and respect what a warrior Marky is, and the MVP he is this year, I let him walk. 

It opens cap space and solves the ED problem. 

I was confident Demko would be more than fine even before the last 3 games. 

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

It is the same model.

Not really.   Boston was different then Vegas in a lot of ways.   They didn’t have the same speed (Boston) and Lehner is nothing like Thomas was despite the shut-outs - he was barely challenged.  

Our 2011 team would have blown Vegas out of the water, Boston was tougher by a large margin then Vegas is now.

Call it then we expansion model.   Hope Dallas picks them apart. 

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

Personally, as much as I love and respect what a warrior Marky is, and the MVP he is this year, I let him walk. 

I was fully in the Markstrom camp too but also saw the few that reasoned we’d be better off with a cheap 1b and Demko moving forward due to the cap issue.  Demko made me a believer.   The most unreal performance I’ve seen since Hasek was playing.   Best goalie performance I’ve seen since Roy in 93 and Ranford in 90.   I’d include 2011 Thomas but won’t go there.   The pros out weigh the cons now.   I’d also let Markstrom walk as it all but gaurantees we wont be playing against one of them in Seattle.   Frees up cap space... and he’s the right age for the core. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Conscience said:

Pearson Boeser Toffoli are all too similar slow players.  2/3 is enough 

I ship Boeser out for a physical dman and resign toffoli for less than Brocks 7mil.

We really need a dominant 3rd line center, someone who can can be trusted against top lines. 

How is 5.75 7 million?  BB isn’t slow - don’t be daft.   If he’s slow so is Horvat, comparable skaters.   He was one of our best forwards against Vegas, Pearson and TT we’re invisible and kittens with the contact.   

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I was fully in the Markstrom camp too but also saw the few that reasoned we’d be better off with a cheap 1b and Demko moving forward due to the cap issue.  Demko made me a believer.   The most unreal performance I’ve seen since Hasek was playing.   Best goalie performance I’ve seen since Roy in 93 and Ranford in 90.   I’d include 2011 Thomas but won’t go there.   The pros out weigh the cons now.   I’d also let Markstrom walk as it all but gaurantees we wont be playing against one of them in Seattle.   Frees up cap space... and he’s the right age for the core. 

And believe me, it's no disrespect to Marky. 

I actually mentioned this to a friend of mine a week before Demko played. 

The bottom line is, it's looking forward and makes good business sense. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

How is 5.75 7 million?  BB isn’t slow - don’t be daft.   If he’s slow so is Horvat, comparable skaters.   He was one of our best forwards against Vegas, Pearson and TT we’re invisible and kittens with the contact.   

Brocks next qualifying offer is 7.

But I 100% agree with you, Brock is part of our core and his skating will only get better like Bo.

Move on from Jake though, I think Toffoli wasnt playing 100%. Pearson I'd be happy to keep but there could be better options out there.

Elders age showed these playoffs, smart plays but at times way behind the play.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

What a season/play offs it was, one for the books and certainly one to be proud of! 

Now we have to time to think about how to take that next step and what we can learn from losing to the knights where goaltending was everything and shots on goal were nothing 

I would like to blow up the bottom six, we need secondary scoring to help out, the only ones that should be in the bottom six next season is motte, beagle and macEwen(I thought he should have been in Vegas series). I believe the virtanen experiment is over and guadette is just not what is needed. 

We do now have a goalie controversy but I believe we do need to lock marky up and make a decision later on. 

finally, we had every chance to win the game with our power play opportunities and came out with barley a shot on goal, it’s time to move on from Newell brown and get some freshness on the pp

what would you like to see. 

Definites

Petey

Hughes

Bo

Tanev

Edler

Motte

Demko

Marky

Miller

Virtanen

Fantenburg

Beagle

On the Fence

Myers

Sutter

Gaud

Mac

Pearson

TT

Trade Bait

Boeser

Stetcher

Pearson 

Benn

Roussel

Leivo

Unknown

OJ

Rafferty

Ferland

Castoff (but likely on the roster)

LE

4 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

except dmko struggled when Marky was hurt.  You can't make the decision based on three games after a 6 month layoff.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

except dmko struggled when Marky was hurt.  You can't make the decision based on three games after a 6 month layoff.

Except it was his first full season so logic suggests he was going to get better.

Based off everything guys say about him his work ethic and compete level is very high. Mix that with his work with Clarke and you would think he’s only scratching the surface of what he can become.

• Vintage 1

Boeser has to be used as trade bait.  He has hustle, but hes not a good skater, hes not that great a stick handler and he makes way too many turnovers.  We can't afford to pay a player 5 million just because he sometimes has a good shot.  The good thing is, Vancouver media has hyped him up so much the past 2-3 seasons that we might actually get something valuable for him.  In a year or two, Podkolzin will be able to take his spot anyway

Im hearing Domi is available.  If thats the case, id try to swap him for Boeser.   

Petey has Miller.  Bo needs someone like Domi. 

Jake scored 18 goals playing mostly 3rd and 4th line minutes.  As frustrating as he might make some fans, there is no way Benning or Green are giving up an a young18 goal scorer with limited minutes, making close to nothing, 

We need Mackewan, maybe Lind, and definitely Joulevi to make big jumps next year.  

Id sign Marky and try to use Demko as a big trade chip to get either a goal scoring right winger or a top 2 or 3 dman. 

• Upvote 1

Top six:

A bit faster and a few more goals: Let Pearsson and Toffoli go, they are to slow; sign Hall and call back Baertschi (wrong side, I know, but we pay him anyway) as a stopgap until Podkolzin arrives in April.

Bottom six:

Keep the kids, Motte, Gaudette, Macewen, Virtanen. And Beagle. Replace Sutter, Erikkson and Roussel with just one but really good vet who has size, grit and speed.

D:

Let Benn walk and Tanev, if he wants. Keep the rest, including Stecher and Juolevi. Promote one or two kids.

Send a crazy good offer for Roman Josi to Nashville.

G:

Keep em both.

In: Hall, Josi and 1 Vet

Out: Toffoli, Pearsson, Sutter, Roussel, Erikkson, Ferland, Benn, Tanev

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Ferland/Roussel Gaudette MacEwan

Lind Beagle Motte

Edler Barrie

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Stecher

Holtby
Demko

More puck movement on the back end. Only way we’re going to have success with the forwards we have.

Sign Holtby to a short term deal that allows him to be exposed to Seattle.

Insert Podkolzin, Hoglander, and Tryamkin when they’re available.

Edited by DeNiro