The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Season Adjustments

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

On 9/8/2020 at 12:39 AM, aGENT said:

Marky will have to decide if he's ok with still good, but less than market value $ and term (and no protection) to stay on the team that was patient with him/gave him his chance, hired arguably the best goalie coach in the world to work with him, with team full of very solid young players , many of whom he's close to, with a very solid chance of being cup competitive for years. Or he can make a bit more coin elsewhere.

That's the motivation (or not).

So long as they secure a solid, veteran 1B and make good use of the cap savings elsewhere, I think they'd be fine with little worry of taking a step back.

Are you willing to skip next years play off just because you don't value great goaltending? That is the meani g of a step back if not Demko can fill up Markys shoes. 

In my view the goalie is the key to winning games. Then you can mold the defence from the goalie and so on... 

9 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Are you willing to skip next years play off just because you don't value great goaltending? That is the meani g of a step back if not Demko can fill up Markys shoes. 

In my view the goalie is the key to winning games. Then you can mold the defence from the goalie and so on... 

That's a lot of strawman and hyperbole for that early in the morning. Where did I say I don't value great goaltending exactly?

We don't exist in a perfect world. Between Marky possibly (and understandably) wanting to cash in, flat covid cap, the Seattle ED, etc, etc, we may simply have no choice in the matter.

That said, I'm hoping he's back but it has to make sense for the team in cap, term and possibly the ED (no NMC). There's a very real possibility that those things won't work for him/his agent. I was merely recognizing that potential reality and how we'd likely address it.

And no, I don't think a 1 year older, more experienced Demko and a very good, veteran 1B , both under Clarke's tutelage, would spell the end of the world for our goaltending or hence our playoff aspirations.

• Cheers 1

On 9/5/2020 at 9:49 PM, DeNiro said:

I know Markstrom is a leader in the room and it would be tough to let him walk, but I think you gotta go with Demko.

Markstrom has shown what he can be at his peak. A goalie that can steal you games and make spectacular saves. But also can be quite inconsistent at times. Maybe you can win a cup with him but the window is shorter and his cap hit wont help with improving other parts of the roster.

Demko on the other hand is just starting to show his potential. Yes it’s a small sample size  but they’ve been watching this guy develop for 6 years now and he’s shown he can be a big game goalie. I don’t think you can give up on that potential. Especially considering you can get him locked in long term now for a much lower cap hit. He also seems to be quite popular in the room too. 

Tough decision for sure and I don’t envy Benning for having to make it.

This decision is one of Benning's making

And no matter what fans think the  cap is irrelevant, other successful teams have had to make hard choices, the only difference is the level of success those teams had.

IMO they have to let all the FA's walk, players can be replaced. This team has been losing 50 games a year for most to the last 5 years so another one is no big deal.

Plans, if there are any at all, have to look 2 or 3 years into the future at least financially, something like 30% for the top players, 12.5% for the bottom level.

The arena was filled when they lost 50 games, that shows satisfaction and contentment. No fans now, all that extra money from the gate is gone, not reduced, gone.

This team cannot spend to the cap now because the lower Canadian dollar hurts the bottom line, a bottom line that was cushioned with sellouts.

Let Tanev, Markstrom, Fantenberg and Toffoli (saves over 15 million in cap hits) go, resign Jake, Motte, Gaudette, MacEwen.

Bring up Lind, Gadovitch (see if he can play), Rathfferty, Rathbone.

Get to the TDL and move Sutter, Pearson and Rousell with retention.

At the Seattle expansion;

Protect;

Pettersson

Hughes

Horvat

Virtanen

Demko

Gaudette

Myers

Miller

Boeser

That is not a bad core of players.

This allows for a trade of a decent prospect for a late draft pick or a good A prospect (needing protection) for and B prospect not needing protection

None of this considers other possible trades and those ramifications. I would try to trade Boeser, not because he is a bad player, quite the opposite, but that contract has to move or the team is locked into, better than Boeser or we think you are worse. Besides, I would want a top pick and player/prospect in return allowing for more player movement, i mean sitting out those guaranteed clause contract guys in favor of young up and coming guys, making a better team. There are lots of teams that would pony up for Boeser, could you imagine another Miller or Benn coming back.

• Cheers 1

On 9/8/2020 at 8:27 AM, debluvscanucks said:

I think we could easily get something like a 4th for Sutter, if we retain. A hair over $2m x only 1 year Sutter is a good value player with low term risk. Package him with say Rafferty and retain and you might actually get something of half decent value. 

Eriksson however would likely cost one of: Virtanen, Demko, or our (lottery protected) 2021 1st.

17 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

he's been wrong before. Particularly when he said, Vancouver's not winning the next 2, they literally win the next 2 and bounce the blues in 6. 

I don't even know how Ferraro has a job. He is wrong all the time and he can't even form a sentence without stuttering. I recall one game he was like they changed the rule so if you score on a delayed penalty it's still a penalty and he went on for like 2 minutes about this and then there was no penalty cause they scored he was dead silent then was like oh I guess this hasn't been approved yet.. still waiting on this approval 3-4 years later, lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

If Benning packages Demko with Eriksson to trade him I will lose my &^@#ing mind. 

He said there’s no way he’d trade 1st or 2nd round picks to move players so I highly doubt he’d trade Demko who has more value. 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

I disagree with some of the posts.

virtanen.  I thought he was ok.  He threw his weight around a little.   He scored in the Vegas series.  He created some chaos.  He fought.  Threw some good hits.  He will keep getting better these next few years

gaudette.  He has the wheels.  Just needs a few years.  Cheap too.  He is just going to get better.

agree motte should stay.

Mcewan- will improve.   So young u have to give him a chance

what u need is a young bottom 6.  With speed.  Even if they don’t score a ton they can at least get to pucks and not get gemmed in their zone constantly....  And the goals will come if they play a forechecking pressure game

The team needs to find the bottom 6 from the draft.  No money for overpaying FA in the bottom 6 anymore....  We got to get rid of the ones we have 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I don't even know how Ferraro has a job. He is wrong all the time and he can't even form a sentence without stuttering. I recall one game he was like they changed the rule so if you score on a delayed penalty it's still a penalty and he went on for like 2 minutes about this and then there was no penalty cause they scored he was dead silent then was like oh I guess this hasn't been approved yet.. still waiting on this approval 3-4 years later, lol

Too funny lol!

I recall him flaming us at the draft for the Miller trade and saying Canucks had no direction. He then lost all credibility in my eyes when a few days later on the radio he said that he felt that Detroit was further along in their rebuild than Vancouver. 

He usually sounds like one of those jaded cranky old Canucks fans that seems to resent the team. 

Will Aquilini allow Benning to spend to the cap?

If the new season starts in December, will fans be allowed in the building?

I would not bet on that.

Sponsors would be bailing out left and right.

TV revenue alone doesn't come close to financing this Organisation

There will be losses next season, How much will Aquilini be willing to absorb?

The ceiling is $81.5M, the floor is $60.2M

The question may not be how much can we improve next season

It may be how much can we save from this season?

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, peaches5 said:

If Benning packages Demko with Eriksson to trade him I will lose my &^@#ing mind. 

If JB is dead set on Marky, I can see them trading Demko to Detroit.

Demko + LE (negative value).

for 

2nd 2020 draft pick. (DET has 3 x 2nd round draft picks...they can give one up).

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

If JB is dead set on Marky, I can see them trading Demko to Detroit.

Demko + LE (negative value).

for 

2nd 2020 draft pick. (DET has 3 x 2nd round draft picks...they can give one up).

That’s is awful and benning should be fired on the spot for doing it 

• Cheers 2

Just now, peaches5 said:

That’s is awful and benning should be fired on the spot for doing it 

I would prefer to keep Demko and trade Marky rights.  By letting Marky go, that's an equivalent cap savings of at least $5M.  Less if you factor in signing a backup goalie ($1-2M range).  So that's shedding some cap right there.   Downside is still need to ride out LE contract. 

Would not be surprised if Canucks have an internal cap.  No gate revenues,  reduced games, etc.

It might be better off not re-signing any UFAs to manage the salary cap.  Walk away from RFAs that make too much or qualifying offer is too high.  Go with the guys we already have on the payroll (ie. LE and Baer).  Not ideal but serviceable.  Bring in rookies to keep cap down (OJ, Rafferty, Lind, Hoglander, etc).  Look to scoop players from teams in cap hall (ie, like Miller trade).

We will definitely take a step back by going this route.  Be a playoff wildcard spot again. 

21 minutes ago, BPA said:

I would prefer to keep Demko and trade Marky rights.  By letting Marky go, that's an equivalent cap savings of at least $5M.  Less if you factor in signing a backup goalie ($1-2M range).  So that's shedding some cap right there.   Downside is still need to ride out LE contract. 

I think capwise going with Demko/Vet makes much more sense.. Demko Just proved that this team is not going to win unless changes are made to improve their defense and overall team speed. They were completely dominated by Vegas. This team isn't a little development away from being able to knock off Vegas. 3 years or so from now when this team should be a top contender in the west Markstrom will be pushing 34 and honestly with his style of play where he scrabbles and gets out of position I don't think he is going to be able to be effective for much longer after that.

The thing with JB is he iso candid that you can read into what he doesn't say. What I find concerning is he says Markstrom this Markstrom that. Markstrom is our guy blah blah. Trade Rumours for Boeser comes out he is laughs and says no way we trade him etc etc. Demko he is like yea we like how he develop we are happy with that.. there is no like he is our future. We want him to be here a long time.. It's like the plan is to trade him and go with Markstrom and that has been the plan all along and Demko raised his value this playoffs and he is prob thinking like oh great!

You know Markstrom is getting his contract from JB. There is like a 99% chance it contains the NMC. With his comments its like you know he is getting signed... I would think it will be 6m or right around there and the discussion is likely about term. I like Markstrom but he isn't an established starter and what we saw in the playoffs didn't impress me in fact it was concerning to me. Markstrom's glove was completely exposed.

Edited by peaches5

Sell high? I love Demko, but I'd be willing to part with him if it gets us a stud d-man somehow. Like maybe straight up in a trade, or to get rid of the Eriksson contract so that we have the space for that d-man.

Yeah, bottom 6 needs a makeover... way too expensive for what they bring. I hope we can replace at least some of them internally with young guys coming up.

How many of these vets can be moved to Utica with a $1M cap reduction for each (Sutter, LE, Roussel)?....bring up the young guys who are ready to make the next step to see what they can do in the NHL. Do this at the beginning of the season....gotta a feeling we would be pleasantly surprised.