The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Season Adjustments

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

I'd like to see the team add another veteran shutdown center.

My principal target would be Brad Richardson.

Horde these guys.  Add another 54% faceoff guy to this group.  Make the bottom six that much more of a versatile and dominant shutdown group.

Save cap in the process (Richardson would be a short term, low cost cap signing). 

Move wingers.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Horde these guys.  Add another 54% faceoff guy to this group.  Make the bottom six that much more of a versatile and dominant shutdown group.

Save cap in the process (Richardson would be a short term, low cost cap signing). 

Move wingers.

if we could somehow move Sutter's full salary I'm all for that. 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

you don't need to move Sutter to do that.  keep Sutter.  pair them together.

yeah I just saw your Rous suggestion. Beagle, Sutter, Motte, Richardson as the principals in the bottom 6 certainly gives me confidence in closing out games. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/10/2020 at 7:19 AM, Mackcanuck said:

Will Aquilini allow Benning to spend to the cap?

If the new season starts in December, will fans be allowed in the building?

I would not bet on that.

Sponsors would be bailing out left and right.

TV revenue alone doesn't come close to financing this Organisation

There will be losses next season, How much will Aquilini be willing to absorb?

The ceiling is $81.5M, the floor is $60.2M

The question may not be how much can we improve next season

It may be how much can we save from this season?

Yea the real question is how are his other businesses doing? Cash flow needs to come from some where.

Might have to hack salary. Pitt starting early.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:19 AM, Mackcanuck said:

Will Aquilini allow Benning to spend to the cap?

If the new season starts in December, will fans be allowed in the building?

I would not bet on that.

Sponsors would be bailing out left and right.

TV revenue alone doesn't come close to financing this Organisation

There will be losses next season, How much will Aquilini be willing to absorb?

The ceiling is $81.5M, the floor is $60.2M

The question may not be how much can we improve next season

It may be how much can we save from this season?

You raise a good point.  When Covid-20 hits us in the fall (which has already started, then you can kiss "fans in the stands" good-bye.   My crystal ball says no fans in the stands next year = lower revenue = cost cutting!

On 9/7/2020 at 10:18 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

I’m also against the idea of moving two consecutive 1st rounders (hence my Virtanen suggestion before moving Eriksson or Sutter with the 2021 1st.   I think the Kasperi Kapanen trade isn’t a good comparable to Jake, and so I feel that Jake for a first is definitely doable.  

I agree with you about Hoglander.   Next year might be a bit difficult.    I agree with you on Fanta but I think Juolevi is ready to make the jump, and finding a taker for Benn might be difficult.   Would definitely be on board with Fanta signing on for another year if we could move Benn however.   

I also don’t like the idea of moving sweeteners around which is why I’m hesitant to just causally throw in guys like Rafferty, Rathbone, etc. to get rid of someone like Sutter.  

I think the 2021 1st as a sweetener however would catch some attention.   However, I think we definitely need to be in on the 2020 1st however in order to do that.  Two years in a row with missed 1sts is bad business.

JT Miller > 2020 1st

Defense group needs a big upgrade or this team will be blitzed by top contenders in the playoffs every year just like Vegas this year.

Benning has been on the job for 6 seasons now and his two best D-men during that entire time (before Hughes' breakout this season) were inherited from the previous regime. Although Tanev and Edler are still valuable veterans, they're slowing down and it won't be long until they'll need to be replaced completely. Benning needs to pull something out of the bag here and show he can construct a championship calibre D-core. The jury is still out on Myers and the Sbisas, Bartkowskis and Gudbransons aren't going to cut it.

Cap-wise, not sure how it's going to happen. Already don't have enough money to bring back the same lineup we just lost with, so don't know where they're going to find the money to bring in an additional impact player or two. Dumping the Sutters and Beagles would both create cap space and revamp the bottom-6 (win-win) but that's easier said than done.

I have full faith in our young top players (EP, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat) to come back even better and hungrier next year, but they need help.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:27 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Having to trade assets to get rid of cap dumps coming out of a rebuild without making it deep into the playoffs.

It's as if cap management during a rebuild/a non-competing phase is important. whodathunkit

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Move wingers.

The guy we let go for nothing so we could rush McCann and Virtanen into the NHL? lol

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Defense group needs a big upgrade or this team will be blitzed by top contenders in the playoffs every year just like Vegas this year.

Benning has been on the job for 6 seasons now and his two best D-men during that entire time (before Hughes' breakout this season) were inherited from the previous regime. Although Tanev and Edler are still valuable veterans, they're slowing down and it won't be long until they'll need to be replaced completely. Benning needs to pull something out of the bag here and show he can construct a championship calibre D-core. The jury is still out on Myers and the Sbisas, Bartkowskis and Gudbransons aren't going to cut it.

Cap-wise, not sure how it's going to happen. Already don't have enough money to bring back the same lineup we just lost with, so don't know where they're going to find the money to bring in an additional impact player or two. Dumping the Sutters and Beagles would both create cap space and revamp the bottom-6 (win-win) but that's easier said than done.

I have full faith in our young top players (EP, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat) to come back even better and hungrier next year, but they need help.

Having to trade assets to get rid of cap dumps coming out of a rebuild without making it deep into the playoffs.

It's as if cap management during a rebuild/a non-competing phase is important. whodathunkit

The guy we let go for nothing so we could rush McCann and Virtanen into the NHL? lol

With all due fairness to Benning and Co McCann was lights out that preseason and earned a spot on the roster and Virtanen was either go back to Jr and flounder for a season or gain some valuable NHL experience playing a sheltered role. You can’t criticize these moves because the Canucks at the time were on route to the league cellar and needed a boost to keep the fans invested. 

On 9/5/2020 at 1:00 PM, Screw said:

I think the comming expansion will provide opportunity for the Canucks.  I think Hughes is exempt.  I would only protect OJ and Myers from the current defense.  

There are more than a few teams that would need to expose quality defensemen.   I can see a chance to add a top 3 defenseman if JB plays his cards right.

Don't protect Myers, lets hope Seattle takes that 6m plug away from us so we can use that $ on someone better. $6m for next to no offensive production is just sad, guy has always been overrated in my opinion.

Only way we add a top 3D is if we trade Boeser and a high pick or top prospect. The scenario beaten to death is Boeser 1 for 1 for Dumba. Unsure if Minny does that, likely want another piece coming back as D are far more valuable than a winger

22 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Always liked Richardson when he was here

59 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Don't protect Myers, lets hope Seattle takes that 6m plug away from us so we can use that $ on someone better. $6m for next to no offensive production is just sad, guy has always been overrated in my opinion.

Only way we add a top 3D is if we trade Boeser and a high pick or top prospect. The scenario beaten to death is Boeser 1 for 1 for Dumba. Unsure if Minny does that, likely want another piece coming back as D are far more valuable than a winger

I disagree on both your points.   Myers has his flaws but he carries the puck well and can handle the NHL big men.

You need only scan the NHL defensive depth charts to see that certain teams will need to make a choice on moving a defenceman or exposure to Seattle. I argue that this alters the landscape.

17 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Seattle is very much into analytics.  They even used analytics as part of the process to hire their GM where they quantified his track record.  Contract efficiency was one aspect of the evaluation.  It's unlikely that they'd see Myers worth 6M especially now with a flat cap.

Minnesota is not looking to break up their top-4 Ds unless they get a top line centre in return - it's been reported by pretty much every insider.  It's also evident just looking at their roster and prospects.  Centre is their biggest weakness so moving one of their best trade chip to get a winger is not particularly logical.  Can't really see Boeser being a fit on the Wild either given how their roster is constructed.   They are slow and can't compensate for his lack of foot-speed.  They also don't have playmaking Cs to set him up while in Vancouver he gets to play with Pettersson.