The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ryan Reaves suspended 1 game

Rate this topic

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

If they really want to get rid of predatory hits to the head they have to start punishing the intent over the resulting injury. 

I honestly think they did.

Reaves was trying to knock Motte into next week, but I don't think he was targeting the head.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I honestly think they did.

Reaves was trying to knock Motte into next week, but I don't think he was targeting the head.

Yeah, I guess that is what they must have decided. That it wasn't predatory and didn't purposely target Motte's dome.

However, as Burkie said that night the only point of contact was the head.

I'm just not a fan of punishment based on injury, but that's how it has always been.

If Motte's neck was broken, I wonder what the punishment would have been?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, b3. said:

Aaron Rome is livid right now.

I remember after the Rome suspension.....the next season, we were told that it was the beginning of a "new standard" for suspensions handed down for head shots....(Don't get me started on how stupid it is enforcing a new standard in game 103 of the season <_<)

....and for the first part of the 2012 season, that was the case. There were several long suspensions levied for head shots.....until multiple GMs complained to the league and like the cowards they are, Daly and Bettman caved and told the DoPS to tone it down....

Aaron Rome was a scapegoat and what was supposed to have been the start of something, became an embarrassing outlier....

I have no doubt that if the criteria employed in determining AR's suspension had been maintained to this day, Reaves would be sitting for at least 4 games....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, D-Money said:

:lol:

Motte walked off, and came back a short while later in the game. Horton got carried off on a stretcher, and didn’t play the rest of the series.

Horton had it coming watching his pass like that. Hit was barely late and definitely not a 4 game suspension in that era. Colin Campbell representin! 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Its what I expected.  given it is playoffs (I don't agree with the standard, but it is what it is), it wasnt going to be more than a game, and honestly I thought it was 50-50 whether he got anything since it was called on the ice.

Glad he got something.  just too bad it didnt cost his team the game