The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Free agent opinions to re-sign or not

I would offer Markstrom 4 mill x 4 years take it or trade his rights for WHY.

Use Demko and Domingue for the season and leave Domingue out for the expansion draft cause you still have Depietro.

Put Ferland on LTIR. 

Offer Tanev 4 mill x 4 years. and Stecher 2-2.5 mill. x 3 years

Offer Toffoli 4.5 mill x 2 years. Motte 1.75 x 2 yrs. 

Boeser gets traded at the deadline unless he returns to form.

Let leivo and the rest of the ufa's walk.

Once avail. offer Tryamkin 2 mill x 1 year(show me contract)

sign 2 players with meanstreak/size for the 4th line. we need someone with more of the a$$hole quotient to make the other team pay on the forecheck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

• -SN- changed the title to Free agent opinions to re-sign or not
20 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

Use Demko and Domingue for the season and leave Domingue out for the expansion draft cause you still have Depietro.

Put Ferland on LTIR. 

sign 2 players with meanstreak/size for the 4th line. we need someone with more of the a$$hole quotient to make the other team pay on the forecheck. 

Agreed major parts of your statement, except the following:

1. Let Marky walk;

2.  Tanev's offer is too long, prefer 2 years. We have lots of youngers coming up.

• Wat 1

21 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Markstrom won't be accepting a 4M deal. He can easily get 6M out in the free market. So goodbye markstrom. I rather have him play for a diff team than seattle 

Toff is prob gonna cost you 5M. 

if markstrom won't play ball.....trade his rights to an eastern team for, say a 4-6th round pick

Toff hasn't done enough in the playoffs to prove he deserves 5, in my opinion

11 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Agreed major parts of your statement, except the following:

1. Let Marky walk;

2.  Tanev's offer is too long, prefer 2 years. We have lots of youngers coming up.

I'd agree to Tanev at only 2 years. 

ask loui to retire or give him the kovalchuk hand shake and let him find another team

benn I would either buy out or add in a trade that helps both teams

me I would try to keep markstrom and demko but give demko 40 games, end of year trade one

I would trade also Sutter as you could get something for him, plus trade felund and maybe pearson for an upgrade

let Leivo , go fantenberg as a throw in as we have jolevi coming up

sign tanev to 3 to 4 years as yes we have people coming up but will take time for a rh d man

then we have money and again I agree if boesser or toffoli drop in play end of season trade one and bring someone up

Let Marky walk. Demko is a starter, he's younger, and is the same age as the rest of the core. Markstrom is 30. Let a team like Toronto or Chicago or Detroit give him the big bucks. Sign a guy like Thomas Greiss for 2 years as Demko's 1B. Greiss would be the perfect backup for Demko. And Greiss isn't going to be re-signed in New York with Sorokin and Varlamov under contract next year. Sign Greiss for 2 years, 3 mill. Makes him expansion eligible. Domingue could be re-signed and serve as DiPetro's mentor in Utica. I would also love to pry MATISS KIVLENIEKS out of CBJ and have him be Demko's backup but that's too much inexperience in net for the Canucks to be comfortable with, I know it, but a Demko/Kivlenieks duo would be excellent and likely end up being an exciting tandem for the next couple of years.

Re-sign Stecher. Re-sign Leivo. Re-sign Motte. Re-sign Fantenberg. Those contracts won't be expensive and they're all key depth pieces.

Re-sign Tanev. Then re-sign Toffoli, if you can.

Trade RFA rights of Virtanen. Would Montreal be interested? They have 3 second round picks this year. Could trade Virtanen for a 2nd round pick with Montreal. With guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Lind coming -- Virtanen is replaceable and the coaching staff seem to be at there wits end with him -- don't see Virtanen's fit over the next 3 years. Best to try and trade back into the 2nd round of this year's draft.

If you can -- trade one of Sutter, Baertschi, or Benn -- hopefully for little to no salary in return. I think Sutter's playoff performance probably gets a buyer. We may have to buyout Baertschi, though, Columbus did have some interest in Baertschi. Could trade Baer for a prospect with CBJ (and probably have to retain salary). Pittsburgh is another option for Baer as they look to restructure there lineup and shed salary too... they like the buy low candidates. Baer is buy low. Benn could be an option to send to Toronto or a team looking to restructure there D-core. Sutter is harder to pin down and probably doesn't get moved if you can move Baer and Benn instead. If you can't move Baer and Benn, you move Sutter. Ideally all three go.

You replace Sutter with a cheaper Vet option -- or finally giving a guy like Bailey or MacEwen regular NHL minutes. Benn gets replaced by either Juolevi or Rafferty. As I said earlier, re-sign Fantenberg to maintain some veteran presence in the 7th and 8th man sphere. Juolevi deserves legitimate NHL games next season. Give him between 20-60 NHL games next year. It's time.

Loui sticks around. Probably gets sent to Utica next year. I don't see it ending well but I don't see him willingly losing his money. His contract becomes more moveable next year when he's got a year left and the salary is low. Could see a surprise trade where he's moved this summer if a team is trying to get to the cap floor without actually spending extra money but I'm not sure which team that would be quite yet.

Ferland gets LTIR. Sucks to say but for his safety long term, Ferland has to be sat out. He hasn't been able to play more than a handful of games in nearly a year. Not a good sign. Frees up some cash.

Keep Boeser. No giving up on Boeser. No giving up on the Lotto line. It's a stupid rumor and it's stupid to think he'll be traded. Also, from what I've read, trading Boeser will only upset Petey and there's no reason to upset your star player. Boeser and Petey are clearly best buds. No need to make any rash decisions quite yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grumpyone said:

Put Ferland on LTIR. 

Markstrom will be at least 5.3 million X  3 yrs-- Demko is ready to move up

Tanev  UFA? very  injury prone, plays solid game 31 December will want 4.5 X 4 yrs

Taffoli  4 yrs X 4.8 re sign and then Package Boeser for # 2 D man

Lievo - 2 yrs X 1.7 - 6'2  gritty solid guy can move up in top 6 with injuries

MacEwen 6'3 gritty -- One way contract 2 X 1.2 million

Virtanen - 2 X 1.8 million Solid bright future -- time to trade for #3 D man -- Don't trade Jake cheap--Bright future..

Motte  2 yrs X 1.4 million PK - 4th line guy

Stetcher  2X 2.2 or trade in package - Rafferty is ready for #5D spot - Juolevi

Fantenberg - 29  UFA - solid will walk.. 

I would Like this Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Baer, Benn, Ferland (LTIR), Markstrom Out

Markstrom( Rights), Eriksson, Olli Julevi  for 4th round any team. No retaining in Eriksson contract. 

Sutter, Baer and Benn to Ott for 4th round pick

Beagle, Roussel to NJ for 4th round pick 

Shed cap space. We wont get much 

Sign Toffoli 2 year 4 million

Sign Hoffman 5 year 6.5 Million

Sign Mikeal Granlund 1 Year 4 million

Sign Matt Martin 1 year 2 Million

Sign Tanev 3 year 5.5 Million

Miller Petey Boeser 

Hoffman Horvat Toffoli

Pearson Granlund Virtanen

Motte Gaudette Martin 

Hughes Tanev

Edler Myers

Fantenberg Stecher 

Demko 

?

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Free agent opinions to re-sign or not