The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I’m excited to see what Benning can do for the Canucks going forward

Rate this topic

CallAfterLife

we need picks in the higher rounds to have a better shot at getting quality future nhl players. No pick till round 3 this year, so very unlikely we see that 3rd round pick be on the team for 3 years minimum.

GM needs to cut some salary this off season, get creative and IMPROVE this team. We can't afford to already be taking steps back, we need to get better each and every year

8 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

we need picks in the higher rounds to have a better shot at getting quality future nhl players. No pick till round 3 this year, so very unlikely we see that 3rd round pick be on the team for 3 years minimum.

GM needs to cut some salary this off season, get creative and IMPROVE this team. We can't afford to already be taking steps back, we need to get better each and every year

That's why I think the Canucks could regress in these next few seasons. I think these next few years may be a bit challenging as Podkolzin and Juolevi etc adjust to the NHL. I don't think that's necessarily a terrible thing going forward because the Canucks will be competitive just as Benning and Aquilini's want but will still retain a draft pick in the bottom half of the first round. 

At the very least the Canucks still have all their draft picks after this year. 

I don't think the Canucks will be drafting in the top 10 again for a while so I'm quite interested to see what type of players Benning will take in the bottom half of the first. I'm hoping Benning will take the BPA regardless of how long the development time it takes. Way too many players in the top 10 are over rated just because they've physically matured and teams think they can play in the NHL sooner rather than later. This was essentially the problem with Virtanen. 

If Benning can continue to draft good players that either force him to make space for them or give him the option to trade them to fill another positional need on the team then the Canucks will be in such a good position going forward. 

If Benning could take Boeser at #23 then I have faith that he'll be able to pick another guy with similar talent and give the Canucks a lot of good problems to have. 

Edited by CallAfterLife
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Problem is, that'll require us giving up picks (and/or prospects) to get rid of salaries like Eriksson.  Even Benn will require a later round pick to unload given the present cap environment (nobody really wants to sign a $2 million dollar guy that was outplayed by a career minor leaguer like Fanta during the regular season).  Other GM's knowing we're in a cap crunch (still workable but it won't be easy) won't be doing us any favors either.

It's not all gloom & doom though.  Just the next year or two might get sticky.  Important thing is NOT to aquire any more deadweight.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I've noticed that in the later rounds, rather than picking well rounded players, Benning has been selecting players who rate well at 1 or 2 attributes.  He'll take smaller than average players for example like Rathbone, Madden and Lockwood.  He's also not afraid to select over age players like Tryamkin and Manukyan.  They're more of a long shot but have a higher pay off.

He's always looking at college free agents and undrafted players like MacEwen and Sautner.

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I've noticed that in the later rounds, rather than picking well rounded players, Benning has been selecting players who rate well at 1 or 2 attributes.  He'll take smaller than average players for example like Rathbone, Madden and Lockwood.  He's also not afraid to select over age players like Tryamkin and Manukyan.  They're more of a long shot but have a higher pay off.

He's always looking at college free agents and undrafted players like MacEwen and Sautner.

Sound strategy.  Go for the 'home run' type of selections in later rounds.  Even 'well rounded prospects' in later rounds will have some real flaws in the game at the time (else they would've been drafted earlier) to the point the chances of them being a NHLer isn't that great anyhow.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Notable RFAs I think they'll re-sign:

Motte

Gaudette

MacEwen

Notable UFAs I think they'll re-sign:

Leivo - cheap

Tanev - he'll be reasonable with his contract, his chemistry with Hughes

Fantenberg - cheap, played physical, solid Dman

Domingue - total pro in the bubble and cheap

Toffoli will be let go (too expensive)

Ferland - LTIR

Virtanen, Sutter, Roussel, Benn and Stecher will be traded, somehow

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - ??

Leivo - Gaudette - MacEwen

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

Lind

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Fantenberg - Rafferty

Juolevi

• Vintage 1

It seems to me the success (or failure) of draft picks in the lower rounds can be the difference in the overall success of a team. Just like the difference in winning teams seem to be the performance of their third and fourth line players, later round picks can make a difference in the long term. Not saying one is necessarily related to the other, simply that the lower the picks, and the lines on which players toil, the greater difference they can make to a team.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

I agree I think he will do well. People need to realize though we needed the vets to get out of the play-in vs Minny and they have been immensely helpful to our youth and culture. Now that we have experienced youth and culture we can start to move "some" of the veterans out but it may cost assets. We as a fanbase need to accept we are going to lose some prospects or picks likely to do it. Think of those assets being spent as part of the investment into our core. With that said..

We may need to keep a couple veterans around to help maintain the culture. Eddie and Tanev would be ideal candidates but if Tanev goes we may need to keep a Sutter or Roussel. I didn't realize how important Sutter was to our kids until we saw him comforting Quinn on the bench vs Vegas when he was getting down on himself. He is a piece we can probably hang on to and re-sign on the cheap - he'd be worth keeping imo. Maybe they can agree to an extension this summer or perhaps we wait so he isn't expansion eligible as a UFA. 

Either way folks. We have come a hell of a long way. That feeling of beating Minny gave us all chills and hope for the future. We can thank Jim for his drafting and the veterans he brought in to be a stabilizing force to support the kids. Now we need to focus on turning gears from being a good team to become a great one. That is going to cost assets to acquire pieces and its going to cost assets to  move players out. Podkolzin,  Lind,  and Hoglander  all look to have top 9 potential. 

Now we just need to fill out our bottom six and add a good transitional D or 2. We have Juolevi and Rathbone who might be able to help. But we could use a RHD who has been transitioning skills then Tanev for Quinn. Edler is que the same summer as Quinn and Petey. Maybe he will take a supreme discount to finish his career here on a high note!

Great assessment.

Benning hasn't ignored leadership and culture on this team and understands it's importance.  As you say, players like Sutter are valued for this reason and what they can do for the younger players.  Also, former cup winners have tremendous value.....Beagle, Pearson, Toffoli.  We saw this clearly in the playoffs.

This season was a great one for this club to face do or die series and we saw the resolve and never say die of some of these players.  When pressed further that ever before, the great ones find a way.  Petey very much had a coming of age playoffs.  It is evaluation for all and some were successful while others have shown an indifferent response to adversity.  We certainly know now where improvements have to be made and I agree with you.  Bottom 6, puck moving D but there is a lot of work to do and I think that it may take more than 1 year to fill these holes especially under a flat cap.  The good news is that Benning is a tireless worker and will add players throughout the year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Notable RFAs I think they'll re-sign:

Motte

Gaudette

MacEwen

Notable UFAs I think they'll re-sign:

Leivo - cheap

Tanev - he'll be reasonable with his contract, his chemistry with Hughes

Fantenberg - cheap, played physical, solid Dman

Domingue - total pro in the bubble and cheap

Toffoli will be let go (too expensive)

Ferland - LTIR

Virtanen, Sutter, Roussel, Benn and Stecher will be traded, somehow

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - ??

Leivo - Gaudette - MacEwen

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

Lind

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Fantenberg - Rafferty

Juolevi

You actually have quite a bit of cap space there. You let Markstrom and Toffoli walk. And you dumped over 10 million in trades lol

The cap situation still isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. We have the assets to afford to ship out Eriksson or some other dead money. I also don't think it will take as much as people think to move Eriksson or other dead money. We might lose a prospect doing it, but as long as their name isn't Podkolzin, Juolevi, Woo or Hoglander, I think the price is worth paying (Juolevi and woo mostly because were thin on d prospects, not necessarily because elite)

I've proposed before Eriksson + Virtanen and a 2nd probably gets it done if you deal em to a rebuilding squad. That's actually a really nice package for a rebuilding team that isn't concerned about cap for the next couple years. And we save $8m right there.

Edited by Yung1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You actually have quite a bit of cap space there. You let Markstrom and Toffoli walk. And you dumped over 10 million in trades lol

I forgot to include re-signing Markstrom lol 

With Eriksson's $6,000,000, the penalties, and Markstrom and Tanev getting raises, can they afford to re-sign Toffoli and bring in better bottom 6 players? 

18 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

The cap situation still isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. We have the assets to afford to ship out Eriksson or some other dead money. I also don't think it will take as much as people think to move Eriksson or other dead money. We might lose a prospect doing it, but as long as their name isn't Podkolzin, Juolevi, Woo or Hoglander, I think the price is worth paying (Juolevi and woo mostly because were thin on d prospects, not necessarily because elite)

I've proposed before Eriksson + Virtanen and a 2nd probably gets it done if you deal em to a rebuilding squad. That's actually a really nice package for a rebuilding team that isn't concerned about cap for the next couple years. And we save $8m right there.

This.

And we may not even NEED to move Eriksson if we whittle away enough cap in other areas. Even if they don't offer much in trade return, we have moveable players that will gain us cap space.

Sutter for instance is likely FAR more moveable after these playoffs. Even with 50% retention, there's a couple mil. Roussel is easily moveable.  $3m. Benn is moveable. $2m. Buyout/retain on Sven. $1.6m. Virtanen can easily be moved/packaged. +/-$2m. And if we do indeed go with Demko and a veteran 1B over Marky, that's likely another $2m-$4m.

That's like $12-$14m right there. If we also bite the bullet and pay a first (or Virtanen etc) to move Eriksson, that's +/- $20m.

Yeah some raises, salary coming back and replacements etc will eat some of that up but this is far from the dire hell many are claiming it is.

It's time to cut the fat and keep the good pieces.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I forgot to include re-signing Markstrom lol 

With Eriksson's $6,000,000, the penalties, and Markstrom and Tanev getting raises, can they afford to re-sign Toffoli and bring in better bottom 6 players? 

Well imo it’s probably Toffoli or Markstrom. I don’t see why they cant sign one of them. Tanev will probably resign with a modest raise. He wants to be here even if it a short term deal. His own words.

Id like to see if they can move 1 contract. I wouldn’t get crazy as each one has it price. I say keep Sutter as he’s a UFA next year. I wish it was LE they could move but more likely a guy like Roussel.

We actually have quite a bit of cap coming of next year. 17 million just off the top of my head. That will take care of Petey and Hughes for a while before they really get massive paydays

I agree with the OP some of these vets may need to be replaced with youth which I’m fully on board with rather then going out and getting someone. I think it’s going to be a couple years before we drastically improve. But if done right and the phenomenal young core we have we should then be a powerhouse for years to come

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Aside form Eriksson's terrible contract, I don't care much for Beagle's and Roussel's either.

They have the same contract:

$3,000,000 with modified NTC, and we still have them for 2 years

Beagle. Although overpaid is a player I wouldn’t bother moving. He’s a fairly important piece. He’s like a Tanev but a 4th line center. He won’t get credit or recognition from a lot of fans but moving him leaves a hole in our own end which we have enough of.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

This is kind of the point of the thread. JB has a long lasting track record of drafting outside of the first round.  It’s EDMs Achilles heel.    Also why long contending teams keep it going (TB since 2010, Boston too) ... good drafting means everything under the cap.   Don’t think we have too much to worry about given overall since JB took over we’ve drafted in the top third of the league after a level playing field is taken into account.    This is done by evaluating the best group of 21 and unders including prospect pools based on ADP (average draft position).   EDM is a minus 21.   TB wins it outright.  But Van is also top ten.   No need to worry about that end of things at all. 

• Cheers 2

We need to move on from Sutter, Beagle and Rousell to make way for youth and prepare the Cap for Pettersson and Hughes, both likely due around $10 mill each. Eriksson comes off the Cap in the end of 2022, Pettersson and Hughes get their new contract in 2021.

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

We need to move on from Sutter, Beagle and Rousell to make way for youth and prepare the Cap for Pettersson and Hughes, both likely due around $10 mill each. Eriksson comes off the Cap in the end of 2022, Pettersson and Hughes get their new contract in 2021.

Hughes will sign for whatever the Canucks decide, as he is ineligible for offer sheets. It maybe a long term big money deal or a short term bridge, but the Canucks hold the power.

• Cheers 1