The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks End of Season Media Availability @ Noon

Rate this topic

Rush17

That was actually better then what I expected...  I mean Benning was pretty open on his thought process. 

Benning has reiterated something that he mentioned during the season:  they will be looking to get a 2nd round pick back through a trade.  Stecher and Jake are prime time candidates to get traded to someone like Ottawa that has 7 picks in this draft in the first two rounds. 

16 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Can't see it being Gaudette given how thin we are at centre ice.

Stech and Jake are the two young guys that feel like they will likely be casualties of the cap crunch.

Petey, Miller, Horvat, Sutter, Beagle, Motte. There's six others already on the roster that play center. Although I agree Jake is more likely to be moved than Gauds, either could be expendable.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Petey, Miller, Horvat, Sutter, Beagle, Motte. There's six others already on the roster that play center. Although I agree Jake is more likely to be moved than Gauds, either could be expendable.

I think Jake is as good as gone this off-season. I'd love to keep him around, but moving him allows us to slide Gaudette to RW, while recouping a pick along the way

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Did someone ask Green why he horse-whipped 19 pack mules across the Sahara, while leaving several sleepy camels back at the oasis?!

That's pretty easy. Those playing at 80% are still 50% better than the other options. :lol:

JB's got to be careful now, there's a lot of bubble players who might have big breakout seasons. Virtanen and Gaudette are young, fast skaters who could break out and have 50+ point seasons, or they could completely flop.

That being said Toffoli is a guaranteed producer.

Hard decisions, he will be crucified no matter what he does because he'll have to cut someone and everyone's doing well.

• Vintage 3

47 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I love that they're addressing being outshot because they expected it...planned for it.  Eliminate high danger plays and try to keep them outside.  It seems that Dallas took that from our playbook too.

So people who just think they were "all over us" (they were at times)....they were ready for the onslaught.  It wasn't just "OMGOMG" panic.  They had a plan in place to address it...even if it's not the best overall plan.  

Of course they did. You could see it in the positioning of players. You could even see it when the battle went into the corner and a Myers stayed back and got some air then went back at it.

Too many watch hockey but don't see it. Vegas was beatable,

• Vintage 2

two most interesting things to me:

Jake not living up to expectations, and no 1st rounder in play to dump salary. 

Curious stuff right there. I'm guessing Jake is on the market for sure, and we likely won't be moving out any big salaries. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He's either gone.. Or they are using this to drive his contract value down. :lol:

Maybe it helps in both directions. 

Jake needs a change of scenery. Green has been his pro head coach his entire career basically and still can't get through to him. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

two most interesting things to me:

Jake not living up to expectations, and no 1st rounder in play to dump salary. 

Curious stuff right there. I'm guessing Jake is on the market for sure, and we likely won't be moving out any big salaries. 

Hopefully for a young D. One to play with Quinn? 

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Hopefully for a young D. One to play with Quinn? 

thats certainly what I'd like to see. I suppose we could be looking at a Jake + prospect to move Loui or Sutter? would any of the bottom feeders want that? dunno. 

14 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I guess the myth of Jake being built for the playoffs was just that. A myth and not reality. It's true that a player like Jake should be built for the playoffs, but that requires someone with higher hockey iq and desire to compete and win.  I think Jake like Shane O'Brien is just content to be in the NHL, so he can party and chase women. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Can't see it being Gaudette given how thin we are at centre ice.

Stech and Jake are the two young guys that feel like they will likely be casualties of the cap crunch.

Jake was a disappointing for sure but for a guy who is supposed to be an offensive threat, Gaudette really didn't add any of that this playoffs.

• Like 1