The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Wildfire Smoke?

Roberts

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Pics are touched up to accurately reflect what it actually looks like.  That's pretty much what was coming at us.......big chunks of burned material falling like snow.  The wind has died down and things look a little brighter.  Going to be a long night.

I could be wrong but think I'm just down the hill aways from you. Stay safe, this is not good.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

On evac alert now

PXL_20210807_001207868.PANO~2.jpg

We are in Coldstream and on alert too.

Everything is coated in ash/soot from a short shower of black rain… can’t even see out of car Windows.  Big 3-5 inch pieces of burned branches and charcoal are falling all over the place where I am… thankfully cold and not still burning.

Gathered the extended family to “sleep” here the rest of the night and have the vehicles packed up.  Might head to Kelowna in the early morning hours before most folks are awake and just assess from a distance for a while.  

This is across from Sparkling Hills.

8681AE17-9620-415D-B91B-CE9234F6E9FD.jpeg

Edited by Provost
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Everything is coated in ash/soot from a short shower of black rain… can’t even see out of car Windows.  Big 3-5 inch pieces of burned branches and charcoal are falling all over the place where I am… thankfully cold and not still burning.

Gathered the extended family to “sleep” here the rest of the night and have the vehicles packed up.  Might head to Kelowna in the early morning hours before most folks are awake and just assess from a distance for a while.  

I live right below sparkling hills and watched it burn last night.  Thank God for some rain

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Provost said:

What a night

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

What a night

With the rain I felt comfortable having some sleep from 5-7, but we are completely packed with extended family under the same roof in case things went the other way last night.

Waiting for updates and expecting good news.  Wind has died down and the rain seems to ha e washed a lot of the embers and burnt debris from the sky.

30 minutes ago, Provost said:

With the rain I felt comfortable having some sleep from 5-7, but we are completely packed with extended family under the same roof in case things went the other way last night.

Waiting for updates and expecting good news.  Wind has died down and the rain seems to ha e washed a lot of the embers and burnt debris from the sky.

We are as well, car packed, boards on top.  I own a farm on swan lake too and have trailers ready for animals, vehicles ready to.  I thought, for sure, it was going to jump the lake last night and come across blue jay

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

We are as well, car packed, boards on top.  I own a farm on swan lake too and have trailers ready for animals, vehicles ready to.  I thought, for sure, it was going to jump the lake last night and come across blue jay

good luck to you stawns, sorry to hear what you're dealing with 

12 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

We must live close to each other. Wind ripped my screen door off yesterday afternoon.

20210806_173440.jpg

Never been so happy to see rain in my life.  Sounds like a full day of rain tomorrow.  This fire is so big and so rank it won't make alot of difference, but it won't hurt

Just now, stawns said:

Never been so happy to see rain in my life.  Sounds like a full day of rain tomorrow.  This fire is so big and so rank it won't make alot of difference, but it won't hurt

Yep. Rain should help keep the embers down which is the big worry right now.

• Vintage 2

18 hours ago, stawns said:

The white lake fire is still across ok lake, but the wind is howling here and directly at my farm from the fire.  We still have a hill between us and the lake, but it won't take much to jump the lake in this wind

PXL_20210806_211852218.jpg

PXL_20210806_211609202.jpg

Stay safe! This thing is very unpredictable. The size of the embers falling as far as Coldstream are massive

Over on the Kelowna side we are ok, but family and friends have been evacuated from Westside road. The skies were apocalyptic last night

Just now, Whorvat said:

Stay safe! This thing is very unpredictable. The size of the embers falling as far as Coldstream are massive

Over on the Kelowna side we are ok, but family and friends have been evacuated from Westside road. The skies were apocalyptic last night

You couldn't believe what the ash is like and the smell, ugh.......it's in your house, your car, your clothes, your hair.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Scary man. Never have we needed rain more than now. There was a bit last night but not nearly enough

Apparently all day tomorrow.  Even that won't make a difference and 40 degree days coming next week they say

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Apparently all day tomorrow.  Even that won't make a difference and 40 degree days coming next week they say

1-3mm forecast for tomorrow, that will not put much of a dent in anything unfortunately

This next week gets hotter everyday too.. need the winds to play in our favor

5 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.  I’ve long since moved down to the coast but it’s hard to watch the place of my youth threatened to such a degree.

we've been saying for 20 years,at least "how much longer can the north okanagan stay lucky".  We might have our answer this summer.  Right now, we're ok, the next week is going to be very stressful

• Sad 1