The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

8 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Really good (full) interview here https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/reach-deep/jim-benning-going-know-expect-now-experience-year/

Reading between the lines I think they're going to package him to move out money. Something I might have mentioned once or twice :P

But they've been patient with him for 6 years and his professionalism still comes into question sometimes. I'd definitely be good with this move.

This could be a smart move.

• Upvote 1

In the interview I mentioned above it also sounded like they're going to prioritize Markstrom and Tanev, and they hope to have enough space to keep Toffoli. I was hoping they'd choose Toffoli over Tanev.

I did want them to keep Tanev earlier in the season, but I started leaning more towards letting him walk as the season went along. I missed on this one.

Just now, Teemu Selänne said:

Wonder if a trade involving Virt & one of Carolina's younger D make sense: one of Haydn Fleury, Jake Bean or Brett Presce?

You aren't getting Pesce for Virtanen and IDK if they can protect him since they're gonna want to protect all their entire top 4 D core.

• Vintage 2

Just now, Teemu Selänne said:

Wonder if a trade involving Virt & one of Carolina's younger D make sense: one of Haydn Fleury, Jake Bean or Brett Presce?

Probably not.  LeBrun doesn't even think they want to move Pesce for Laine.  During the playoffs Carolina broadcasters could not stop talking of how reliable Fleury has become for their team.  Carolina is looking to move Gardiner on D, Niederreiter and Dzingel per Burnside.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

I been ready for a Jake move for years now. Would have been nice to target Jokiharju when his name was floating around. Targeting a young D prospect would be the most ideal move. Using Jake to move out a cap dump also isn't too bad of an idea. 

I wouldn't do that trade if I were Buffalo personally. Joki has good potential.

The kind of D you'd have to be looking for is a younger solidified top 6 D to a team that could protect Virtanen. I mentioned Zadorov but that would require us to move cap since he has a 3.2M qualifying offer.