The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

35 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Someone make an App that tracks his scoring, live updates. 

lol, have one of them dumb 10 am games on saturday and just wakes you up, instant shotgun.
EDIT: Although for most of them i would wake up and watch the canucks game but have a screwdriver or caeser

Edited by TNucks1
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/8/2020 at 2:34 PM, Gnarcore said:

Tanev compliments Hughes so well that it allows Quinn to do what he does much easier. That D pairing is a massive reason they had the success they did. Of course they want Tanev over Toffoli. 

Hughes made Schenn look like a top 4 too. I think you still have to explore the option to upgrade.  Edler Hughes Tanev Myers is not good enough.  There’s a #1 and three #4s... whom aren’t off of being 3rd pairing material. That’s the reality.  Save the money for potential upgrades, or go to youth in that role or this defence will hold this franchises potential back.  There’s too much cap caught up in declining assets as it is.  This is our chance to rid ourselves of some of the same imo. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 3:05 PM, Tre Mac said:

I would proceed with caution, lot's of players let thier teams down in these playoffs.  Virtanen isn't going to generate offense on the 4th line.

lol i dont think any one can even bure cant score on the 4th line.. man imagine if bure WAS On the forth line he would blow past everyone and score 10 plus goals in this day and age......

53 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Hughes made Schenn look like a top 4 too. I think you still have to explore the option to upgrade.  Edler Hughes Tanev Myers is not good enough.  There’s a #1 and three #4s... whom aren’t off of being 3rd pairing material. That’s the reality.  Save the money for potential upgrades, or go to youth in that role or this defence will hold this franchises potential back.  There’s too much cap caught up in declining assets as it is.  This is our chance to rid ourselves of some of the same imo. 

Schenn played his ass off trying to get back into the NHL that’s what that was more then anything. I agree the defence needs to be a lot better but subtracting Tanev to add someone doesn’t help enough to make a big impact. 

I’m personally in favour of developing some kids and hopefully they can become legit top 4, example: Joulevi. I don’t think it can be fixed right away. It’s probably gonna be a couple years till we see improvements on D. May as well give us a chance in the meantime by signing Tanev short term if possible. 3 years Max. Don’t forget Edler is off the books next year 

Its the Benn type signings I don’t wanna see. Let the kids start in the bottom 6 and work up 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

The bolded is just silly talk.

As for improving the D, I generally agree. But that's not likely coming by signing someone else via free agency vs Tanev. The only guy available, notably better than him, is Pietrangelo and there's a Dumb and Dumber gif waiting with our chances of that happening.

So how do you propose improving the D by not re-signing one of our better D?

That change is likely going to largely have to come from within.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

I guess we can’t always have 1st round hits all the time. 

It's not like it was some giant whiff either. Getting a regular NHL player out of any draft pick is still a win, and Jake was on pace for 20 goals that year. Given who was taken around him it's a fine pick.

• Cheers 1

I wish it could work for Jake.  I'm frustrated like many with his ability vs his effort.  I think a comparison of what Jake doesn't demonstrate was Boeser's quote during the playoffs, he said something along the lines of "I know I'm supposed to score and I'm not, but I'm trying to do whatever I can to help the team."  He was engaged in board battles, working hard to try and win the puck and get it to his teammates and retain control.  I didn't hear Jake say anything as profound about what he was trying to contribute, and I didn't see anything specific on the ice that showed me he was doing everything he could.  He had a few hits, but more often I'd see him heading at someone and then checking the glass beside them rather than hitting the actual player.  

I'm not sure if Jake needs a more hard butt coach or a more cerebral coach.  It would be interesting to see if Rod BrindA'mour would be able to draw out his potential, or would it be someone like Barry Trotz?  

If he comes into camp as out of shape as some of us think, it must be frustrating for his teammates. Unless he has an epiphany, that won't change by being traded as he will still be here with his buddies during the summer.  

If he stays, he'll be on a short leash as the message from the GM has to give him something to think about and maybe his parents can kick his butt.  If he's traded I doubt we'll get much back but I don't really care at this point.  Clear some cap, make room for someone who wants to put in the effort.  

• Cheers 1

Jake has an enticing package, which led to us drafting him. A shoulder injury and what seems to be a massive drop in his physical play has been very disappointing. But as Warhippy alluded to...if the guy was out partying in the Okanagan instead of training for the pending play in round then the guy just doesn't get what it takes to be a pro athlete. 6 seasons later if he hasn't gotten it he may never, not here with Vancouver anyway.

Wish the former #6 overall pick would have panned out better, be interesting to see what JB is able to acquire if they choose to trade him...

Best of luck on a new team Jake, seems like a change of scenery might be what you need...out of the spot light of being the hometown hero might be what he needs.

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Jake has an enticing package, which led to us drafting him. A shoulder injury and what seems to be a massive drop in his physical play has been very disappointing. But as Warhippy alluded to...if the guy was out partying in the Okanagan instead of training for the pending play in round then the guy just doesn't get what it takes to be a pro athlete. 6 seasons later if he hasn't gotten it he may never, not here with Vancouver anyway.

Wish the former #6 overall pick would have panned out better, be interesting to see what JB is able to acquire if they choose to trade him...

Best of luck on a new team Jake, seems like a change of scenery might be what you need...out of the spot light of being the hometown hero might be what he needs.

I was never a fan of Jake and I was heavy on the team drafting Ehlers or Nylander (more Ehlers, the guy was electric in Halifax) I wasn't really all that impressed with Jake in junior, he was basically bullying players with his size. Thats fine and dandy against kids, but not against men in the NHL. You don't see that snarl, that bully that people used to see him play as in junior. Its like being the big dog in High School and when you get to your first year in college, you're not big hot shot as you thought you were. I just don't think his commitment level is there, and we gave him 6 seasons to prove it, which I think is plenty. Ottawa would be a nice fit on a line with him flanking Brady Tkachuk. Funny, for a big guy like Jake, from what Ive seen, his best games have come when the games have been run and gun which is ironic since he's so big, you'd think he's a fit for a heavy matchup like they have here in the West.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

The bolded is just silly talk.

As for improving the D, I generally agree. But that's not likely coming by signing someone else via free agency vs Tanev. The only guy available, notably better than him, is Pietrangelo and there's a Dumb and Dumber gif waiting with our chances of that happening.

So how do you propose improving the D by not re-signing one of our better D?

That change is likely going to largely have to come from within.

UFA...  ya never know.  I’d be more inclined to trade a forward asset for the upgrade on D and use available cap to find help for the forwards. 

bottom line for me....  this d core isn’t close to championship material.  I’d rather wait a full year for better UFAs/trade opportunities/internal development than commit to Tanev for more than 1 season. 

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I was never a fan of Jake and I was heavy on the team drafting Ehlers or Nylander (more Ehlers, the guy was electric in Halifax) I wasn't really all that impressed with Jake in junior, he was basically bullying players with his size. Thats fine and dandy against kids, but not against men in the NHL. You don't see that snarl, that bully that people used to see him play as in junior. Its like being the big dog in High School and when you get to your first year in college, you're not big hot shot as you thought you were. I just don't think his commitment level is there, and we gave him 6 seasons to prove it, which I think is plenty. Ottawa would be a nice fit on a line with him flanking Brady Tkachuk. Funny, for a big guy like Jake, from what Ive seen, his best games have come when the games have been run and gun which is ironic since he's so big, you'd think he's a fit for a heavy matchup like they have here in the West.

Agreed, I was hoping we would go with the more skilled player at the time as well, just like the OJ pick when Tkachuk was available..but I know we were thin on D prospects so it kind of made sense just hard to pass on an agitating tough F with skill.

Maybe a hockey trade for Jake. A team like the Bruins would be a good fit for Jake. If we can't re-sign TT a player like Debrusk would be a good fit. The Bruins may not want to pay him the 4 million plus he will be due after this year, Bruins will probably need a goalie after next year as well. Maybe Jake and Demko for DeBrusk makes sense. 

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

UFA...  ya never know.  I’d be more inclined to trade a forward asset for the upgrade on D and use available cap to find help for the forwards. 

bottom line for me....  this d core isn’t close to championship material.  I’d rather wait a full year for better UFAs/trade opportunities/internal development than commit to Tanev for more than 1 season. 

So you're solution is to go into next year with Myers, Stecher and... Rafferty? Then wait to see if there's maybe a better UFA next year. 

That doesn't look at all like improvement to me.

10 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

:bigblush:

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

If there's a way for Benning to pry Zadorov from Colorado...wow. That would be impressive.

I feel Pearson would nab Zadorov more so than Virtanen personally. Pearson would be an upgrade for their 2nd line and the Avs were interested in Toffoli at the Deadline and there's been a lot of speculation that they might go after him in FA. Adding Tofu with Pearson would be a smart move.

With Virtanen they'd have to worry about arbitration. Avs have shown they're willing to take chances on forwards though(Nichushkin) so maybe Virtanen could interest them.