The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I feel Pearson would nab Zadorov more so than Virtanen personally. Pearson would be an upgrade for their 2nd line and the Avs were interested in Toffoli at the Deadline and there's been a lot of speculation that they might go after him in FA. Adding Tofu with Pearson would be a smart move.

With Virtanen they'd have to worry about arbitration. Avs have shown they're willing to take chances on forwards though(Nichushkin) so maybe Virtanen could interest them.

We don't trade Virtanen unless we are re-signing Toffoli.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

It's not like it was some giant whiff either. Getting a regular NHL player out of any draft pick is still a win, and Jake was on pace for 20 goals that year. Given who was taken around him it's a fine pick.

I maintain the fact that Jake is not a hit whatsoever. 
He was drafted 6th overall and struggles as a third liner (he has had plenty of opportunities, I would say too many).

He was also misjudged as a physical presence. Skinny Pete throws his weight around more than this guy! What you call a win, I call a loss.

I also don’t understand your comment about those drafted around him, if you want to play hindsight, you lose that argument as well;  Pasternak, Nylander, Ehlers, Tuch, DeAngelo and other star players were drafted afterwards. Lol

Edited by grandmaster
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, guntrix said:

Have you ever been offered a 6-year probationary period at work? Because that’s exactly what you’re saying here.

Jake was 18 when he got drafted. He’s now 24. When does it stop being too early? 30? 

He just had a career year and before the covid shutdown, he was playing in the top 6 consistently.

Seems silly to me to give up on him so early because we lost in a game 7 to the best team in the league.

I think many fans are making emotional decisions right now.

Jake has a good contract and he was definitely NOT the problem with our playoff exit.

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

So you're solution is to go into next year with Myers, Stecher and... Rafferty? Then wait to see if there's maybe a better UFA next year. 

That doesn't look at all like improvement to me.

No.  I’d try and trade from strength to add a RHD upgrade. And yes, waiting for the right piece is better than committing to the wrong one. 

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Also, it has to be an offer that makes sense to trade Jake. He is still a cap friendly player with potential. Frustrating potential, but it's there. 

Not any more. He needs to be re-signed and will command a hefty raise after scoring 18 goals in a shortened season.

3 hours ago, Tystick said:

He just had a career year and before the covid shutdown, he was playing in the top 6 consistently.

Seems silly to me to give up on him so early because we lost in a game 7 to the best team in the league.

Jake has a good contract and he was definitely NOT the problem with our playoff exit.

Even when we had injuries in the playoffs he was relegated to bottom 6 with a few shifts in the top 6, instead we had LE in the top 6 providing oh so much offense too.....

5 hours ago, Tystick said:

That isn’t true.  Before the season shut down he was performing terribly, had scored only 3 goals in his last 18 games.  He had been relegated to the bottom

6, and was playing 12-15 minutes a game.
He had also been pulled off the 2nd unit PP in favour of a returning Boeser.

6 hours ago, grandmaster said:

He was drafted 6th overall and struggles as a third liner (he has had plenty of opportunities, I would say too many).

He was also misjudged as a physical presence. Skinny Pete throws his weight around more than this guy! What you call a win, I call a loss.

I also don’t understand your comment about those drafted around him, if you want to play hindsight, you lose that argument as well;  Pasternak, Nylander, Ehlers, Tuch, DeAngelo and other star players were drafted afterwards. Lol

I'd rather have Jake than Nylander.  For all Jake's issues, he didn't quit on his teammates or refuse to even attempt to play defense.  He also doesn't have such a monstrosity of a contract that he's a negative value.  I'll take Virtanen over a gutless coward who's a cancer in the room any day.

7 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Then go cry to the Flamers and Islanders too.

Geez, it's not like the Canucks are the only ones who whiffed on a pick. 

Some of you people I wonder if you're really true fans. Seems like most of the time, all you people do is look for something to whine about.

Pretty pathetic. 

51 minutes ago, Provost said:

That isn’t true.  Before the season shut down he was performing terribly, had scored only 3 goals in his last 18 games.  He had been relegated to the bottom

I remember him playing all around the lineup, but there was a stretch where he was playing consistently in the top 6.

The entire team was playing terrible at the time. We were trending out of the playoffs.

41 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Then go cry to the Flamers and Islanders too.

Geez, it's not like the Canucks are the only ones who whiffed on a pick. 

Some of you people I wonder if you're really true fans. Seems like most of the time, all you people do is look for something to whine about.

Pretty pathetic. 

I was the one who said you can’t always have a first round hit! 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather have Jake than Nylander.  For all Jake's issues, he didn't quit on his teammates or refuse to even attempt to play defense.  He also doesn't have such a monstrosity of a contract that he's a negative value.  I'll take Virtanen over a gutless coward who's a cancer in the room any day.

Don’t know much about Nylander but it was a counter to the point that the picks after Jake were all duds...I’ll take ur word Re Nylander being a coward.

8 hours ago, grandmaster said:

If I could use every emoticon I would!  So you get a heart, and a beer, annnnndddd a huggy bear, maybe a tad of an upvote and a whole lotta right!!

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 8:30 PM, aznmonk said:

lol i dont think any one can even bure cant score on the 4th line.. man imagine if bure WAS On the forth line he would blow past everyone and score 10 plus goals in this day and age......

Bure will score on the 4th line. He will score no matter who he plays with. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

To word this more correctly, the team got healthy, he was moved to the bottom 6, then his offense dried up. Unlike Goldy he never gets regular top 6 looks except that month and a half stint where we were decimated with injuries. When injuries hit he was producing really well. But we got healthy and Green moved him down. Then he started scoring less. Which isn't unusual since literally nobody in the bottom 6 produces and Jake isn't the type of player to make offense all on his own. But nobody ever mentions any other player in the bottom 6 doing literally nothing offensively except Jake.

Edited by N7Nucks

8 hours ago, Tystick said:

I remember him playing all around the lineup, but there was a stretch where he was playing consistently in the top 6.

The entire team was playing terrible at the time. We were trending out of the playoffs.

Green had Jake on the PP2 during the playoffs which says something about Green's perception of Virtanen. Either the injury problem was more serious than let on (playing wounded) or Green thinks Jake has upside. Not as if Green didn't have other options for the PP2.