The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

To word this more correctly, the team got healthy, he was moved to the bottom 6, then his offense dried up. Unlike Goldy he never gets regular top 6 looks except that month and a half stint where we were decimated with injuries. When injuries hit he was producing really well. But we got healthy and Green moved him down. Then he started scoring less. Which isn't unusual since literally nobody in the bottom 6 produces and Jake isn't the type of player to make offense all on his own. But nobody ever mentions any other player in the bottom 6 doing literally nothing offensively except Jake.

It is another way to say it, but it isn’t true... his offence dried up, as a result we was moved to the bottom 6.  THEN Boeser eventually came back.

Eriksson was playing above him in the lineup many times.

Virtanen had been playing badly for almost 20 game.  Boeser only got back just before the season was cut short.  We had exactly one top six forward and Virtanen wasn’t considered the 2nd one.

On 9/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, BPA said:

Would rather develop JV into Motte 2.0.   Would have the wheels to aggressively forecheck and hound the puck.

But...alas.  Don't think it's in JV make up to be that kind of player.

I agree... it takes smarts (anticipation and picking your spots) and JV seems to lack in hockey IQ.

16 hours ago, 70seven said:

No.  I’d try and trade from strength to add a RHD upgrade. And yes, waiting for the right piece is better than committing to the wrong one. 

Sure... But Virtanen isn't returning anyone currently better than Tanev. Younger maybe, with potential maybe, but not currently better.

And listening to Benning, it's perhaps more likely he's either moved to recoup picks or to dump say Erriksson. Either way, I'm not seeing an 'upgrade' on Tanev.

Plus I don't think anyone is taking about giving Tanev a 6 year deal if it's the term commitment you're concerned about. I'd imagine Benning will be pushing for a 2-4 year deal.

What we might be able to muster is an upgrade on Stecher (and look to move Troy's rights for picks... As much as I love the kid) by focusing on D who are expansion risks with teams who lack F's worth protecting (ie: the oft mentioned Zadorov).

But again, given Benning's comments, this seems less likely and we're back to improving from within as guys like Juolevi, Rathbone and Woo come on to the team.

On 9/9/2020 at 5:36 PM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Keep in mind though, it'll be important to be able to bring in young players on ELC's year after year. In 3-5 years from now, not only will Petey and Hughes be well into their mammoth sized contracts, but players like Horvat, Boeser and maybe Miller will be due for raises. Part of the "circle of life".

Just you wait... Hoglander, who we only drafted last summer, will be thrust into a top-9 role as soon as the next season starts - and will be on a 3 year ELC, might I add. It'll be of vital importance to try and and add least one 1st/2nd round pick every year, and not having a 1st AND a 2nd for this draft leaves a huge hole.

I would happily trade Virtanen for a 2nd. We don't need to trade for a top-4 I don't think... guys like Juolevi and Rathbone will soon change that perception.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he keeps our streak of Calder finalists going.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Sure... But Virtanen isn't returning anyone currently better than Tanev. Younger maybe, with potential maybe, but not currently better.

And listening to Benning, it's perhaps more likely he's either moved to recoup picks or to dump say Erriksson. Either way, I'm not seeing an 'upgrade' on Tanev.

Plus I don't think anyone is taking about giving Tanev a 6 year deal if it's the term commitment you're concerned about. I'd imagine Benning will be pushing for a 2-4 year deal.

What we might be able to muster is an upgrade on Stecher (and look to move Troy's rights for picks... As much as I love the kid) by focusing on D who are expansion risks with teams who lack F's worth protecting (ie: the oft mentioned Zadorov).

But again, given Benning's comments, this seems less likely and we're back to improving from within as guys like Juolevi, Rathbone and Woo come on to the team.

If LE with his 2yr 6M cap hit can be moved with just adding JV...then sign me up.

But preferably, I would hope LE just retires. :)

• Haha 1

No way Virtanen gets a 1st. After 5 years of NHL experience he has a career high of 18 goals. Not great.

And if we at CDC are hearing about Jake showing up to camps (yes, with an s) out of shape, and going out to nightclubs during a pandemic, and driving while taking selfie video - then every other GM in the league knows about it too. The question is whether another GM is willing to take a chance and try to reign Jake in and turn him into a good pro. He has the tools, but is selfish and immature. Wasn't Evander Kane kind of like this earlier in his career?

Anyway, I'm not sure Jake's value is very high I'm afraid. I think he will most likely be the added piece to trading Sutter, or something like that.   

35 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

of what?

I've watched the kid his entire NHL career, and I can't think of any time he was a "force". 

Absolutely. For the blind fandom I will give you a few dozen shifts. If the Canucks re-sign TT I would gladly put Jakes monies toward TT cap wise and hopefully find a trade partner for Jake. A high second or Lias Ansersson would do. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DarthMelvin said:

I think if we lose Jake, It's a huge gain for another team that can actually coach the kid.  He is a force. 

A force of what? Virtanen has the capability to skate past defensemen and score a highlight reel goal, but he seemingly couldn’t bring it consistently enough.  His physical play was sporadic as well. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

of what?

I've watched the kid his entire NHL career, and I can't think of any time he was a "force". 

If you say this then you are either a liar...or every game you watched...you spent it b!tchin on CDC.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Absolutely. For the blind fandom I will give you a few dozen shifts. If the Canucks re-sign TT I would gladly put Jakes monies toward TT cap wise and hopefully find a trade partner for Jake. A high second or Lias Ansersson would do. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A force of what? Virtanen has the capability to skate past defensemen and score a highlight reel goal, but he seemingly couldn’t bring it consistently enough.  His physical play was sporadic as well. 

Agreed, the kid is no Crosby. But your posts are of high expectations of a kid with a chip on his shoulder.  You see that chip every time he is on the ice. We need to bottle that up and have him use it wisely. 

And like you say...there needs to be consistence. I just hoped for more from him. The grit is there,  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

If you say this then you are either a liar...or every game you watched...you spent it b!tchin on CDC.

Agreed, the kid is no Crosby. But your posts are of high expectations of a kid with a chip on his shoulder.  You see that chip every time he is on the ice. We need to bottle that up and have him use it wisely. 

And like you say...there needs to be consistence. I just hoped for more from him. The grit is there,  

Talent is there. But having coached high level hockey and had two kids in the system, it's always up to the player to make the most of the opportunity in front of them. They control a few things, their own training, professionalism, and on ice performance. These discussions taking place concerning Jake are on no one's shoulders but his own. He's been disappointing and it starts and ends with himself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

hips don't lie Melvyn, and Jake never used his. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

No way Virtanen gets a 1st. After 5 years of NHL experience he has a career high of 18 goals. Not great.

And if we at CDC are hearing about Jake showing up to camps (yes, with an s) out of shape, and going out to nightclubs during a pandemic, and driving while taking selfie video - then every other GM in the league knows about it too. The question is whether another GM is willing to take a chance and try to reign Jake in and turn him into a good pro. He has the tools, but is selfish and immature. Wasn't Evander Kane kind of like this earlier in his career?

Anyway, I'm not sure Jake's value is very high I'm afraid. I think he will most likely be the added piece to trading Sutter, or something like that.   

Yes.   And i'd take Evander on the Canucks in a heartbeat now

6 hours ago, BPA said:

If LE with his 2yr 6M cap hit can be moved with just adding JV...then sign me up.

But preferably, I would hope LE just retires. :)

If JB could get a team to take LE and all it would cost is adding JV with no salary retained, then he would be GM of the century!

Edit: scratch that he cant be GM of the century as he signed that stupid contract in the first place ;P

Edited by Ronaldoescobar
  • Haha 1

On 9/8/2020 at 3:04 PM, Bell said:

To all the Jake haters, sounds like you are going to get your wish.  He wasn't great in the playoffs but in two years we are going to wish we never shipped him out.

I've always been team Jake and have used those same words in the past. Sadly the one thing you can't teach is IQ. It's been six years and it's time to admit we were wrong. He's a tweener who may have a couple of decent seasons if he's put next to Petey but he's not gonna be the next Neely and once Podz and Hogs join the team he will be even more irrelevant. He's turning into a Kassian without the physicality. And if he does visit Oz and get a brain while also suddenly developing work ethic and consistency, I wish him the best of luck and will have wished he did it here in the last six years. 

• Cheers 2