Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

14 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Tbh that wasn't a stupid contract. Louie was still a solid goal scorer and him and the Sedins had a lot of chemistry playing for team Sweden with a lot of success

Yea it turned out badly, but cant fault JB for a move that made so much sense. Sendins wanted to bring Vancouver a cup and at that time Louie made the most sense. $&!# happens sometimes 

You’re right. More of a bad joke on my part with that edit, and hindsight is always 2020. At the time maybe not the best move they could have made but not a bad one as per the reasons you point out. But I do stand by the first part of my post with respect to the current situation.

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Funny...I posted a "LE + Virtanen for future considerations" trade proposal a few months back and get absolutely torched for it - now everyone would do that deal in a heartbeat!

People are dreaming if that is all they think it will take to absorb 2 years @6m per... Asking would be Podz and 2021 1st/Hogz. jake is a reclamation project for a team that thinks his speed can help them and maybe mesh into their top 6. His value is a late 1st or maybe a 2nd a prospect or cheap contract player in return

• Hydration 2

15 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Tbh that wasn't a stupid contract. Louie was still a solid goal scorer and him and the Sedins had a lot of chemistry playing for team Sweden with a lot of success

Yea it turned out badly, but cant fault JB for a move that made so much sense. Sendins wanted to bring Vancouver a cup and at that time Louie made the most sense. $&!# happens sometimes 

I thought it was bad from day 1. I'm not always right but I was then.

They should have rebuilt instead of signing him and hanging on. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Chris12345 said:

I agree, but at the same time it would be disrespectful to the Sedins to not atleast attempt to try and make us competitive. I stand by JB on the decision to sign him

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

I agree, but at the same time it would be disrespectful to the Sedins to not atleast attempt to try and make us competitive. I stand by JB on the decision to sign him

That's an interesting angle.

In theory you could tell them you are rebuilding and ask them if they would prefer a trade?

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

That's an interesting angle.

In theory you could tell them you are rebuilding and ask them if they would prefer a trade?

If anyone else I agree, but Sedins to Vancouver is like Kobe for the Lakers. They deserved the right to retire with the team even if a rebuild was delayed imo

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

If anyone else I agree, but Sedins to Vancouver is like Kobe for the Lakers. They deserved the right to retire with the team even if a rebuild was delayed imo

Its a nice sentimental thing sure, but they are pro athletes and made millions. I mean the greatest hockey player ever got traded and he won multiple cups....Sedins got to 1. I like the Sedins, but they are on a very high level for some here, which is fine each to there own. I hope this new era can hoist the Cup for all of Canuck fans!

26 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

You would be one of the few!

Many many people on these boards were super excited by the Eriksson signing.

You have to go 5 pages deep to find the first hint of negativity on Loui's player page.

We all have the benefit of hindsight now, but the overwhelming response from fans at the time was that Loui was going to be a great fit with the Sedins, would score 25+ goals a season, and would be productive up until the end of his contract at age 36.

• Hydration 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

You would be one of the few!

Many many people on these boards were super excited by the Eriksson signing.

It was horrible from the start for me too! This team need to save cap room and take advantage of teams wanting to dump salary and should have added additional 1st and 2nd round picks along the way. Live and learn....not likely as EVERY GM messes up, this team just needed to be rebuilt in the Torts era like he suggested. Oh well we are where we are now and hopefully we can dump some bad contracts to sign meaningful players to help us next year and beyond

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Funny...I posted a "LE + Virtanen for future considerations" trade proposal a few months back and get absolutely torched for it - now everyone would do that deal in a heartbeat!

It was bad then it is bad now. Nobody is taking Eriksson just to pick up Virtanen. 

7 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Brett Pesce is being overrated by Canuck fans.  Look at his career stats.  He is maybe a number 4-5 d man. Limited offensive upside.  I’d prefer Brandon Montour.  

I’m assuming you haven’t seen him play.. for starters, he’s a defensive dman. You don’t measure Tanev’s worth to the team by the amount of points he puts up. 

• Hydration 2

41 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It was bad then it is bad now. Nobody is taking Eriksson just to pick up Virtanen. 

His actual dollar cost vs cap hit is quite low.. he makes like a million bucks next year from a team yet his cap hit is 6M USD. 

A team looking to stay at the cap floor without spending to the cap floor. could get some serious value for Eriksson. It could save an owner 5M in their pocket for the next few years. That is like free money if your a floor team.

7 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Guess I am as big a fan of the twins as there are but not even I think the rebuild should have been delayed.

They definitely deserved to retire as Canucks though, and just to be clear, the delay of the rebuild was on the organization, not on them.

22 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

The problem was it was a stupid contract tho. It made sense to bring LE in to play with the Sedins but why 6 years? The Sedins had two years left on their deals. Why did we need Loui here another 4 years after that? I understand he wanted term probably but we could have given him 4x7. Again, I don't blame Benning for bringing Eriksson here, he had great chemistry with the twins. It was just the term that didn't make any sense. Said that from day 1.

Edited by Outsiders

Virtanen for Pierre Oliver Joseph 

Who says no?  

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Virtanen for Pierre Oliver Joseph 

Who says no?  

I think we can get more than that. Virtanen is still a very useful player, frustrating - yet useful. 

Edited by mll