The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

23 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Would love to use Jake as part of a package to get Gallagher from Montreal, feel this would solidify our top 6 if we resign toffoli and find a way to shed cap elsewhere but for this up coming season his 3.75 million would be a nice addition to our top 6 

9 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I think it would take a loaded package to pry Gally from the Habs. He’s their heart and soul. However his contract is up for renewal at the end of next season ;)

Funny story; back when Gallagher was playing his final season for the Giants, myself and my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) waited outside the dressing room to have him autograph her Gallagher jersey. He was such a good guy, always grinning. Anyway, I mentioned to him that when the day arrives when he becomes a free agent that I hope he comes home.

Who knows, it just might happen. 

Preliminary talks for a new contract in Montreal are underway.  Gallagher liked what he saw in the RTP and thinks he can win in Montreal. I’ll be shocked if he isn’t re-signed. 

I think Chris Tierny has to be a guy JB looks at. Not sure about how strong he really is defensively but a big-ish 3rd line center who could slot in to replace Sutter, 30-40 point scorer, would be quite a nice return for say Virtanen + Stecher.

Virtanen for Tierny straight up isn't a bad idea, if they wanted a sweetener throw in a late pick.

Otherwise we go medium-size package with Virt + Stecher for Tierny + 4/5th round pick

Or ideally big re-shuffle, and say Eriksson + Virtanen + Stecher (10M cap space cleared but Virtanen and Stecher help their rebuild) for Tierny and late pick or slight cap dump

We re-sign Tierny for 3-4M, 3-4 yrs

The extra cap shedded should be enough to sign everyone else. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/8/2020 at 5:43 PM, Teemu Selänne said:

Yeah, Pesce would never be a 1-for-1 for Virt ,definitely. I wonder if Jake Bean would be considered? He had an amazing year in the AHL last year but Carolina is already quite deep in left defensemen.

Jake Bean is considered one of the top D prospects at the moment in the top 20 overall too.   If CAR likes JV it would be a very good swap for us.    CAR won’t have to protect Hamilton the same way we won’t have to protect anyone we have on expiring contracts (Edler).   So maybe they’d do it - if they are high on JV. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/13/2020 at 2:28 PM, NorthWestNuck said:

Jake is not the cause of the headache. Fans cause their own headaches focusing on where he was drafted instead of what he is, which is a solid 3rd liner who can move up and produce in a pinch and is decent (not spectacular) in his own zone, can get in on the forecheck quickly, and one of the best on our team for drawing penalties.

Virtanens problem may be that he sees his potential the way many fans do and overrates himself. If that’s the case and he’s looking for a big pay day, then cut him loose. But as an inconsistent scorer he was on pace for 20 playing mostly on the 3rd line. That’s worth a small boost in pay.

The coaching staff must dedicate an disproportionate amount of time to working with Jake or they wouldn't be doing their jobs. Problem is Jake is that kid at the back of the class who doesn't get it and doesn't want to put in the work. So no matter how much you try to help him he is just waiting for the lunch bell to ring so he can smoke weed w his buddies. 

IMO Motte just took his job on the 3rd line. With Podkolzin coming we can't be throwing 2+ m at Jake to waste on the 4th line. If there is value to be had in return weather its moving a bad contract or returning a pick it's addition by subtraction at this point. 

For the record I have defended Jake for years I'm just done. This playoffs showed the player he is and he's a cream puff who could have been a game changer if he showed up for work.

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Jake Bean is considered one of the top D prospects at the moment in the top 20 overall too.   If CAR likes JV it would be a very good swap for us.    CAR won’t have to protect Hamilton the same way we won’t have to protect anyone we have on expiring contracts (Edler).   So maybe they’d do it - if they are high on JV. 

Good point, I didn't even think about expansion. Also Bean is on a final year before becoming RFA - with Slavin, Skjei, Gardiner, and like Fleury being qualified he'll probably struggle to crack the line-up and one of him, Gardiner or Fleury would have to be moved, it might make sense to move him while he is value is a bit higher -he might lose some if he's in a 7th D role. I guess it also depends if the NHL is going to have expanded rosters next season cuz of COVID..which would be a strong reason for CAR to keep Bean next year I think.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

There's the fact that he isn't sized like a smurf (even though he plays like one), so Marc Bergevin won't have any interest in him. :lol:

The fact that he’s a bottom 6 forward and Gallagher is a top line player is the reason Bergevin would have no interest in him. Virtanen would be an add on to a much better piece in any deal for Gallagher. 

On 9/16/2020 at 1:43 PM, VforVirtanen said:

Taking notes and taking names for excommunication from the Church of V once Shotgun signs a new affordable contract with the Canucks and pots in another 20 goals next season.

Thank you.

These boards can always use another flavour - something original.

(please don't put me on the list!)

• Haha 1

Shotgun Jake is going to sign a team-friendly contract and be very good value for the foreseeable future.  (IMO of course.)

JB's comments are just posturing (again, imo) as he has to squeeze every negotiation for every loose buck to massage the team through the next two years.

Crazy adjustments coming due to Covid, shortened season, bubble playoffs, cap flattening, escrow, all forms of revenue disappearing, AHL not playing, people getting sick and dying, old contracts locked into new realities, etc., etc.

For me, I am excited to see how everyone navigates their way through all this, and how the Nux can come out on top.

We have great team spirit and character, many players now want to play for our team (Hello Jared "It is what it is" McCann), and hopefully this translates to savings on every contract and negotiation.

The team was giving Jake the cold shoulder a bit until he got up to speed in the Play-Ins, but I think that was tough love (e.g. from Horvat, "C'mon Jake, move your &^@#in' ass!" and Jake's whining about nobody liking him and just skating around him every time and making him look bad, or some such like).

If Jake signs such a contract, he will be a solid player on the third line, with the ability to move up and add to both the power play and penalty kill (do not ignore Jake's takeaways).

If Toffoli is true to his word, and willing to accept a lower contract to stay with us, then we save a bit more there and keep another valuable player.

Pearson is on record as saying something like, "if the team can find a way to sign Toffoli, he would be willing to take a cheaper contract (next year) too".

Markstrom may take a cheaper contract to stay, and the team can afford to pay JM enough to make Seattle think twice if we were to leave him unprotected.

If Seattle takes him anyway, we save his contract cost; if not, we get to keep Jacob and Thatcher.

It is time for Benning to play hardball and insist on at least a little bit of 'give-back' on every single contract to keep the team together and build on last season and our playoff successes.

I do not think it is time for him to be paying new UFAs high dough until we see how this transition period goes, what's available, and at what cost.

The minute these Stanley Cup Playoffs are concluded, the starter's gun will sound, and we are going to see an "offseason" like we have not seen before.

So many balls in the air, and some of them "Super-Sutter-Sized"*, some players holding huge bags of cash and some very good players signing much smaller contracts.

I hope Tampa wins the next 3 games and gets this out of the way (and thwarts Gaglardi, our owner's long-time rival).

But mostly so we can get on with this fantastic off season.

* Super-Sized Sutter Family Roots: The Willows of Weirdness: Big Balls Tribe?

20 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Shotgun Jake is going to sign a team-friendly contract and be very good value for the foreseeable future.  (IMO of course.)

JB's comments are just posturing (again, imo) as he has to squeeze every negotiation for every loose buck to massage the team through the next two years.

Crazy adjustments coming due to Covid, shortened season, bubble playoffs, cap flattening, escrow, all forms of revenue disappearing, AHL not playing, people getting sick and dying, old contracts locked into new realities, etc., etc.

For me, I am excited to see how everyone navigates their way through all this, and how the Nux can come out on top.

We have great team spirit and character, many players now want to play for our team (Hello Jared "It is what it is" McCann), and hopefully this translates to savings on every contract and negotiation.

The team was giving Jake the cold shoulder a bit until he got up to speed in the Play-Ins, but I think that was tough love (e.g. from Horvat, "C'mon Jake, move your &^@#in' ass!" and Jake's whining about nobody liking him and just skating around him every time and making him look bad, or some such like).

If Jake signs such a contract, he will be a solid player on the third line, with the ability to move up and add to both the power play and penalty kill (do not ignore Jake's takeaways).

If Toffoli is true to his word, and willing to accept a lower contract to stay with us, then we save a bit more there and keep another valuable player.

Pearson is on record as saying something like, "if the team can find a way to sign Toffoli, he would be willing to take a cheaper contract (next year) too".

Markstrom may take a cheaper contract to stay, and the team can afford to pay JM enough to make Seattle think twice if we were to leave him unprotected.

If Seattle takes him anyway, we save his contract cost; if not, we get to keep Jacob and Thatcher.

It is time for Benning to play hardball and insist on at least a little bit of 'give-back' on every single contract to keep the team together and build on last season and our playoff successes.

I do not think it is time for him to be paying new UFAs high dough until we see how this transition period goes, what's available, and at what cost.

The minute these Stanley Cup Playoffs are concluded, the starter's gun will sound, and we are going to see an "offseason" like we have not seen before.

So many balls in the air, and some of them "Super-Sutter-Sized"*, some players holding huge bags of cash and some very good players signing much smaller contracts.

I hope Tampa wins the next 3 games and gets this out of the way (and thwarts Gaglardi, our owner's long-time rival).

But mostly so we can get on with this fantastic off season.

* Super-Sized Sutter Family Roots: The Willows of Weirdness: Big Balls Tribe?

I don't think it's a negotiating ploy on JB part

I don't recall him doing this before ?

I just think Benning and the players would like to move on as he has been too much of a distraction and JB doesn't want to get handcuffed with a contract in arbitration that he would have no control over, so unless JV signs for less (I know contract states a raise of a minimum certain %, but that was before covid and a flat cap for the unforeseeable future, has NHL addressed this?) I think they will pass on JV.

Timing sucks to lose an asset like Jake without anything in return, but trading without a signed contract won't get you much in return 

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

what comments?  are you taking one part out of context? and reading too much into that part?

I'd be interested in looking at the actual quote - in it's entirety - not one line extracted from a larger commentary.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

what comments?  are you taking one part out of context? and reading too much into that part?

I'd be interested in looking at the actual quote - in it's entirety - not one line extracted from a larger commentary.

About a week or so ago, JB apparently said something like he was not impressed with Jake's playoff performance.

Others ran with it for a while and I was just trying to further it's journey to the curb.

I personally see nothing in it except that JB made somewhat similar comments that amounted to lauding Demko, which in turn seemed to have certain implications for Markstrom.

I think he will, and I hope he does, hold onto both Jake and Jacob.

As for the actual Jake quote, I think it may have been in that video with Green and Benning after we were eliminated (but I'm not going to look it up, lol).

Nice to see you back ON, and full of beans too, I might add.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

From the Province:

“I thought he worked and competed hard in the playoffs. He scored that big goal for us in Game 6. To be perfectly honest with you, though, I was expecting more from Jake in the playoffs,” Benning said on Sportsnet 650 on Tuesday afternoon. “He can skate, he’s strong. He can get to the net. He’s a guy we’re going to have to talk about here going forward. We’ve been patient with him in his development, but he’s a guy I was expecting to produce more for us.”

I listened to the interview and I thought it was intended more as saying that they can get more out of him going forward. They expect more from him. Not that they were giving up on him.

• Cheers 1