The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

Benning says Tuch is a year older but they were actually drafted the same year.  Tuch was born in May while Virtanen in August 1996.  

Tuch started the season on LTIR and just couldn't catch a break on the injury front - he was in and out the lineup and again finished the season on LTIR.  Probably explains why his regular season production was so unimpressive vs the post-season where he was finally back healthy.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I wouldn't do that trade if I were Buffalo personally. Joki has good potential.

The kind of D you'd have to be looking for is a younger solidified top 6 D to a team that could protect Virtanen. I mentioned Zadorov but that would require us to move cap since he has a 3.2M qualifying offer.

I meant before he moved to Buffalo, there was talk Chicago was moving one of their young Ds and Jokiharju was the guy I figured would be the most likely to move. Would have been nice to make a move for him at that time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Probably not.  LeBrun doesn't even think they want to move Pesce for Laine.  During the playoffs Carolina broadcasters could not stop talking of how reliable Fleury has become for their team.  Carolina is looking to move Gardiner on D, Niederreiter and Dzingel per Burnside.

I don't think they'd be able to protect Jake too. Have to protect Stall and the 3 big forwards and probably want to protect their entire top 4 after they re-sign Hamilton. I can see Carolina doing a 4f/4d. Trading someone like Bean for a younger forward with good potential that doesn't need protection would be their better move. Could be hard for them to keep Fleury though.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

In the interview I mentioned above it also sounded like they're going to prioritize Markstrom and Tanev, and they hope to have enough space to keep Toffoli. I was hoping they'd choose Toffoli over Tanev.

I did want them to keep Tanev earlier in the season, but I started leaning more towards letting him walk as the season went along. I missed on this one.

the free agent market is pretty thin on RHD tho, at least in our price range, so there's some logic to trying to sign Tanev over TT. I'm not sure people are going to be beating down Toffoli's door to give him much over 5 mil so I think we can risk waiting a bit there.

Jake... yeah its time. Who knows what the deal might be but Jim did mention he's already received calls from GMs this AM so fingers crossed he can work some magic here. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Probably not.  LeBrun doesn't even think they want to move Pesce for Laine.  During the playoffs Carolina broadcasters could not stop talking of how reliable Fleury has become for their team.  Carolina is looking to move Gardiner on D, Niederreiter and Dzingel per Burnside.

Yeah, Pesce would never be a 1-for-1 for Virt ,definitely. I wonder if Jake Bean would be considered? He had an amazing year in the AHL last year but Carolina is already quite deep in left defensemen.

• Cheers 2

Just now, N7Nucks said:

I meant before he moved to Buffalo, there was talk Chicago was moving one of their young Ds and Jokiharju was the guy I figured would be the most likely to move. Would have been nice to make a move for him at that time.

Oh I see. Yeah would have been nice.

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

the free agent market is pretty thin on RHD tho, at least in our price range, so there's some logic to trying to sign Tanev over TT. I'm not sure people are going to be beating down Toffoli's door to give him much over 5 mil so I think we can risk waiting a bit there.

Jake... yeah its time. Who knows what the deal might be but Jim did mention he's already received calls from GMs this AM so fingers crossed he can work some magic here. 

Yeah, I hope the Canucks re-sign Tanev. He's been great with Hughes, which is risky to break up, and there's no easy replacement. There's probably gonna be a bidding war for the most logical FA replacement in Hamonic.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Tanev compliments Hughes so well that it allows Quinn to do what he does much easier. That D pairing is a massive reason they had the success they did. Of course they want Tanev over Toffoli. 

All Hughes needs is someone reliable defensively which Tanev definitely is. But they could have upgraded there in the physicality department too. Harmonic seems like he'd be a very good fit on paper (granted) and he'll likely be just as affordable as Tanev. Good leader too. Edler would be great as well since Hughes is comfortable on the right side. Plenty of other options.

Toffoli is a 2-time Cup winner and played an important role in those runs. JB also mentions in his interview that he was great with Petey and helped him along a lot. I don't know why you're coming in with the "of course they're going to choose Tanev".

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Upvote 1

I'm on team Benning but I don't know if it was all that smart to admit that "[he] expected Jake to do more for us". It not only throws him under the bus but also gives away leverage in a trade scenario.

That said, I wouldn't be giving Virtanen away, I would want a decent piece back. We can't ignore his 20 goal pace and ability to play in top 6. Unfortunately I'm just not sure his friend circle in town here is the most conducive to being a professional athlete.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Yeah, I hope the Canucks re-sign Tanev. He's been great with Hughes, which is risky to break up, and there's no easy replacement. There's probably gonna be a bidding war for the most logical FA replacement in Hamonic.

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I'd rather overpay Tanev than Hamonic, I can't stand him, and Tanev and Huggy already have good chemistry. Better to leave that alone if we're choosing between the two. 

Tryamkin might be a good option once he comes over. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I'm not saying it isn't logical. I was just hoping they went the other way. But that's just me. It's not a bad decision either way. Also:

3 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

All Hughes needs is someone reliable defensively which Tanev definitely is. But they could have upgraded there in the physicality department too. Harmonic seems like he'd be a very good fit on paper (granted) and he'll likely be just as affordable as Tanev. Good leader too. Edler would be great as well since Hughes is comfortable on the right side. Plenty of other options.

Toffoli is a 2-time Cup winner and played an important role in those runs. JB also mentions in his interview that he was great with Petey and helped him along a lot.

That was my reasoning to another poster.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

I'd rather overpay Tanev than Hamonic, I can't stand him, and Tanev and Huggy already have good chemistry. Better to leave that alone if we're choosing between the two. 

I agree. I don't hate Hamonic but I prefer Tanev plus I agree you don't risk breaking up chemistry in a case where two players are nearly equal. Plus, Tanev had more points this playoffs than Hamonic has in the playoffs his whole career.

• Cheers 2

“I thought he worked and competed hard in the playoffs. He scored that big goal for us in Game 6. To be perfectly honest with you, though, I was expecting more from Jake in the playoffs,” Benning said on Sportsnet 650 on Tuesday afternoon. “He can skate, he’s strong. He can get to the net. He’s a guy we’re going to have to talk about here going forward. We’ve been patient with him in his development, but he’s a guy I was expecting to produce more for us.”

Benning then made a comparison with another speedy winger who has size and hands: Vegas’s Alex Tuch — same age as Virtanen, taken 12 spots behind Virtanen in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft at No. 18 overall — who stood out like a lightning bolt nearly every time he was on the ice for the Golden Knights against the Canucks.

“As we’ve seen against Vegas, Tuch … had an impact on the series because of his speed and size.”

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I'm on team Benning but I don't know if it was all that smart to admit that "[he] expected Jake to do more for us". It not only throws him under the bus but also gives away leverage in a trade scenario.

That said, I wouldn't be giving Virtanen away, I would want a decent piece back. We can't ignore his 20 goal pace and ability to play in top 6. Unfortunately I'm just not sure his friend circle in town here is the most conducive to being a professional athlete.

That was my initial thought as well. But then I thought maybe trades don't work out or fall through or for whatever reason Jake ends up back here next year. Maybe it'll light a fire under his ass. I'm not making an excuse I still think it's not the best thing to say in a market like this one but just offering one possible explanation.

Honestly I think JB is still a little raw from the loss because there were a couple of answers in the interview and the media availability that I wasn't sure where he's going with them.

The Tuch comparison is funny, cause Tuch was being played 15-16+ minutes with much better linemates. Jake's deployment was anywhere from 8 minutes to 15. But very rarely ever above 14-15. How is he supposed to have an impact playing fewer minutes with lesser linemates? I dunno, he wasn't great but he wasn't bad. Move him for Lias Andersson or a really solid D prospect. I'd like to see Jake on a team with a really good coach just to see if my faith in him was wrong all these years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Wonder if a trade involving Virt & one of Carolina's younger D make sense: one of Haydn Fleury, Jake Bean or Brett Presce?

I’m thinking this is the exact team and market that Jake needs to go. Eastern team with little interest fan-wise compared to a hockey mad market here. Trade Jake to a Carolina or Florida team for a D prospect and maybe he will “get it” there and if he does, he won’t burn us as bad if he played out in the west. But we have given Jake a fair shake. The Guy isn’t a kid anymore so if he hasn’t gotten it, will he ever? Anyways I agree man, trade him to the Canes for one of their war chest of defencemen. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1