The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is purely speculation based on what came out from the media availability today.

My prediction is that

-Jake,

-One of Benn or Stecher

-Leivo

-Sutter

-Fantenberg

-Domingue :(:(:(:(:(

-Baertschi

are all gone.  Eriksson won’t be moveable this year, and Ferland will get LTIR’d.

Next season:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Motte-Gaudette-MacEwen

Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson 

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Benn

Rafferty

Markstrom

Demko

Benning mentioned that no picks will be moved and so I suspect that guys like Rafferty, Lind, Rathbone, and Juolevi could potentially be used as sweeteners to move guys like Sutter and Eriksson.

Based on Benning’s interview, I think Benning wants to do whatever he can to be “all in” next season.

No way Boeser, Toffoli, Tanev, and Markstrom are walking.

3 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

I’m thinking this is the exact team and market that Jake needs to go. Eastern team with little interest fan-wise compared to a hockey mad market here. Trade Jake to a Carolina or Florida team for a D prospect and maybe he will “get it” there and if he does, he won’t burn us as bad if he played out in the west. But we have given Jake a fair shake. The Guy isn’t a kid anymore so if he hasn’t gotten it, will he ever? Anyways I agree man, trade him to the Canes for one of their war chest of defencemen. 

Yeppp, I agree - I think teams like NYR or LAK would be wary of him, but teams like Carolina would be more willing. The Canes had little offense in this year's playoffs outside of Aho and Svech before he got hurt. I could see them trading a D for a 40 point, big winger who has potential to score more like Jake.

• Cheers 1

The only reason I would be happy if Jake moved, would be for his own psyche. Many van media and some fans love to point the finger at him. In another market, his 'antics' wouldn't even be in the spotlight. And if he is gone, another player will be scrutinized, simply for the fact some van media can't help it.

I hope he comes back next year and finds that consistency and energy needed to be a force with his skill set. But coach green, PLEASE give the guy a longer look in the top 6; it would only benefit everyone involved. His stats would improve and whether JB, decides to keep him or move on, it would up his value if a trade were the route JB takes or he finds that confidence and embraces that role within the team (Tuch style).

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

My prediction is that

-Jake,

-One of Benn or Stecher

-Leivo

-Sutter

-Fantenberg

-Baertschi

are all gone.  Eriksson won’t be moveable this year, and Ferland will get LTIR’d.

Next season:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Motte-Gaudette-MacEwen

Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson 

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Benn

Rafferty

Markstrom

Demko

Benning mentioned that no picks will be moved and so I suspect that guys like Rafferty, Lind, Rathbone, and Juolevi could potentially be used as sweeteners to move guys like Sutter and Eriksson.

Based on Benning’s interview, I think Benning wants to do whatever he can to be “all in” next season.

the only place Sutter can go with that cap hit is Robidas Island

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Benning also sounded extremely certain in the interview that Juolevi would with the Canucks full-time next season.

That’s the impression I got as well.

I wonder if Rafferty and Rathbone are enticing enough sweetener.  

I would be upset if we lost Rathbone as part of a sweetener, but wouldn’t be too bothered if Rafferty was used.   

-Rafferty or Lind + Baertschi (zero retention) for a 6th or 7th rounder

-Rathbone, Juolevi, or Virtanen + Sutter (zero retention) for a 6th or 7th rounder

-Mario Lemieux or Guy Lafleur + Eriksson (zero retention) for a 6th or 7th rounder

Is my guess for what it would take to move the above this off season if we’re not using draft picks.

• Haha 3

Agree that Jake to the canes makes a lot of sense for everybody involved.

Don't agree that Jake's excused for not impacting the game unless he gets top 6 minutes. It's not all about scoring and it's up to each player to have an impact on the game with whatever ice time available.

Also after these playoffs I no longer believe Jake will ever be a top 6 winger, I thought he showed lots of limitations when the level was raised, mostly caused by his slow processing of the game.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

the only place Sutter can go with that cap hit is Robidas Island

It’s one of the reasons why I still suspect that Benning’s hand will be forced and that he will ultimately have to move his 2021 1st to move either Eriksson or Sutter ( likely Sutter as I don’t think Eriksson is moveable in this off season).  Virtanen will be used to get a low 2020 1st.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

In the interview I mentioned above it also sounded like they're going to prioritize Markstrom and Tanev, and they hope to have enough space to keep Toffoli. I was hoping they'd choose Toffoli over Tanev.

I did want them to keep Tanev earlier in the season, but I started leaning more towards letting him walk as the season went along. I missed on this one.

For how good he is supposed to be at defence he gave an awful lot of pucks away and made a lot of bad mistakes in the playoffs. I would hope we could better but realistically we probably can't

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

The Tuch comparison is funny, cause Tuch was being played 15-16+ minutes with much better linemates. Jake's deployment was anywhere from 8 minutes to 15. But very rarely ever above 14-15. How is he supposed to have an impact playing fewer minutes with lesser linemates? I dunno, he wasn't great but he wasn't bad. Move him for Lias Andersson or a really solid D prospect. I'd like to see Jake on a team with a really good coach just to see if my faith in him was wrong all these years.

Tuch played mostly with Cousins and Roy.    

Roy had only played 35 NHL games over 3 seasons before this post-season.  Cousins is a 27 year old on a 1-year 1M contract.  

Green plays his top guys significantly more than Vegas which leaves less TOI for the bottom-6.  Tuch averaged 15:09 the series vs 12:41 for Virtanen.  

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

The problem is with Tanev is are you willing to give him a 4 or 5 year deal at 5 million? Because he wants both the term and money. Hughes can play with just about anybody. Remember when Hughes looked great with Luke Schenn? Hughes needs a reliable D but that can also help move the puck. Biggest problem I noticed VS Vegas and STL is Tanev's inability to move the puck. Countless times he coughed puck up/lost board battles and couldn't get puck out. I'm not paying Tanev 5x5. He can't break the cycle, Tryamkin can! 

We couldn't get the puck out of our own zone for more than ten minutes, at least once, in each of the last 3 games.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

“I thought he worked and competed hard in the playoffs. He scored that big goal for us in Game 6. To be perfectly honest with you, though, I was expecting more from Jake in the playoffs,” Benning said on Sportsnet 650 on Tuesday afternoon. “He can skate, he’s strong. He can get to the net. He’s a guy we’re going to have to talk about here going forward. We’ve been patient with him in his development, but he’s a guy I was expecting to produce more for us.”

Not what you say if you're actually trying to move a guy.  Sounds like salary negotiation through the media to me.  Could backfire but Benning undoubtedly has his reasons.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

My prediction is that

-Jake,

-One of Benn or Stecher

-Leivo

-Sutter

-Fantenberg

-Baertschi

Next season:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Motte-Gaudette-MacEwen

Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson 

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Benn

Rafferty

Markstrom

Demko

wait why domginue. Cant we keep him in the AHL?