The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I was impressed by Tuch in the series.  Same age as Jake.  Vegas locked him up for 7 years at $4.75 starting this season.  He's going to be a real bargain later in his contract.  I think there's every liklihood that he becomes a solid 2C in the future.

I thought he was their 3rd best forward behind Stone and Patches. They’re said to have a little cap crunch themselves. With Fleury getting older and Lehner possibly leaving with Vegas not being able to match what about Demko for Tuch. Then use Virtanen to offload Eriksson anywhere. This is all under the assumption that they have Markstrom locked up to a great long term deal.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

For all the people suggesting that Benning trade Virtanen for any players (i.e., shiny toys) from other teams, there are 3 points you should consider very carefully:

1. The Canucks have a dire need to shed salary from their roster, especially if they want to resign 2 or 3 of their own UFAs (not to mention any others);

2. The Canucks do not have a 1st or 2nd round draft pick in this year's draft; and,

3.  Benning has made it know that he would like to trade to reacquire one or both of those picks.

It shouldn't be hard to put two and two together to predict the centre piece return in any trade involving Virtanen.

Picks are valuable. Getting a 2nd rounder for Jake doesn't really seem worth it. But it is true we could use some recouping of draft picks here. 

40 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

For all the people suggesting that Benning trade Virtanen for any players (i.e., shiny toys) from other teams, there are 3 points you should consider very carefully:

1. The Canucks have a dire need to shed salary from their roster, especially if they want to resign 2 or 3 of their own UFAs (not to mention any others);

2. The Canucks do not have a 1st or 2nd round draft pick in this year's draft; and,

3.  Benning has made it know that he would like to trade to reacquire one or both of those picks.

It shouldn't be hard to put two and two together to predict the centre piece return in any trade involving Virtanen.

right the sopranos GIF by Testing 1, 2, 3

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I thought he was their 3rd best forward behind Stone and Patches. They’re said to have a little cap crunch themselves. With Fleury getting older and Lehner possibly leaving with Vegas not being able to match what about Demko for Tuch. Then use Virtanen to offload Eriksson anywhere. This is all under the assumption that they have Markstrom locked up to a great long term deal.

pretty sure they just signed him 7 year 4.75 mil deal, if im remembering right.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

pretty sure they just signed him 7 year 4.75 mil deal, if im remembering right.

Yes they did and it’s a fantastic contract! Could be a consistent 50+ point player with a chance at some even better years throughout this contract. With what Demko did in that series McPhee might like the idea of Demko as the Knights goalie of the future. Alex Tuch prorated just had a 33 point season! Now I believe that’s just from opportunity and how deep Vegas’ roster is. Maybe McPhee wants to deal from a position of strength.

I’ve never heard Benning make a statement about a player like this before.

Thats one ticked off JB. Must feel like crap when you pour time and development into a player for years and don’t get the results your looking for. 

JVs been one of my favourite players. I just wanted him to be more consistent. Forget the points. Just go out and cause a ruckus if you ain’t putting points on the board. 

Anyways I know we are thinking he’s gone but it could be one last kick in the ass for Jake too. Time will tell but most likely saw the last of Jake in a Nucks uniform 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Picks are valuable. Getting a 2nd rounder for Jake doesn't really seem worth it. But it is true we could use some recouping of draft picks here. 

An early 2nd in this draft probably has a better chance of being an impact player for the Canucks than Jake.  Benning's not one to fall for the sunk cost fallacy though.

6 hours ago, Bell said:

To all the Jake haters, sounds like you are going to get your wish.  He wasn't great in the playoffs but in two years we are going to wish we never shipped him out.

5 hours ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

He has all the tools to flourish in this league, but needs a change of scenery. He’s a young guy with too many distractions living in his hometown. He’ll break out with another team for sure. 

This. This is not dissimilar to the Kassian situation (minus the substance abuse issues). Jake may yet blossom, but it's gotten to the point is not going to happen here IMO.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Bell said:

To all the Jake haters, sounds like you are going to get your wish.  He wasn't great in the playoffs but in two years we are going to wish we never shipped him out.

Don't hate the guy, hope he does figure things out but it won't happen here with him surrounded by his friends.  We can't afford to spend the kind of cap space needed to keep him in the hopes of this year finally being the one where he decides to grow up.  Jake's an elite player from the neck down.

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

I hope not. I still like Jake and feel he can still improve.

However, he needs to play in the top 6 more. At the end of the day, he is a skilled game-breaking player and putting him into a grinding roll is like putting a square peg into a round hole.

He’s gotta earn it!!!!  My god even Pavel Bure played on the 4th line when he first came out. 

9 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I’ve never heard Benning make a statement about a player like this before.

Thats one ticked off JB. Must feel like crap when you pour time and development into a player for years and don’t get the results your looking for. 

JVs been one of my favourite players. I just wanted him to be more consistent. Forget the points. Just go out and cause a ruckus if you ain’t putting points on the board. 

Anyways I know we are thinking he’s gone but it could be one last kick in the ass for Jake too. Time will tell but most likely saw the last of Jake in a Nucks uniform 

Green is kinder than Benning.  Talks about consistency

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Do you think Jake is worth a 1st at this point?

40'ish point winger with elite speed, shot and good size (and whatever 'potential' he may yet possess) Yeah. 

Not an early/top 10 etc pick, but a late one, to a contender that might need a cheap, depth forward with upside. Absolutely.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Do you think Jake is worth a 1st at this point?

He may be.
If not, then packaged the right way...

Ottawa has 3 1st rounders

New York Rangers have 2 1st rounders

Anaheim has 2

New Jersey has 2

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

He may be.
If not, then packaged the right way...

Ottawa has 3 1st rounders

New York Rangers have 2 1st rounders

Anaheim has 2

New Jersey has 2

Worst case he can be used to get rid of LE, which should clear up enough cap space for the rest of the team.

• Vintage 1