The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

40'ish point winger with elite speed, shot and good size (and whatever 'potential' he may yet possess) Yeah. 

Not an early/top 10 etc pick, but a late one, to a contender that might need a cheap, depth forward with upside. Absolutely.

I’d be thrilled for a 1st rounder. Or a package with Loui for a second/some depth 

Just now, aGENT said:

Oh, I think we'd need to add to get anything of value back if packaged with Eriksson.

Ya fair point. Might be pretty hard now that I’ve had more thought to it. No one is going to want to spend money with the lack of revenue in these times. I would imagine there’d be a lot of persuasion from the GM to Owner 

38 minutes ago, bbgunner said:

Ship Virtanen and Eriksson for a late 1st or early 2nd rounder pls, get it done :):):)!!!!

This could happen as one has to consider how valuable LE is to a cap floor team or a team with financially struggling ownership. It would clear up 8M in valuable cap space for us. 

Be interesting what JB will be able to do here.

You guys are dreaming if you think Virtanen will land us a 1st. He'll probably fetch a 3rd, maybe a late 2nd if we're lucky. The other general managers aren't stupid. They know we are hurting for cap space and can't afford him. We can't afford salary back. We have no leverage. 

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

I thought he was their 3rd best forward behind Stone and Patches. They’re said to have a little cap crunch themselves. With Fleury getting older and Lehner possibly leaving with Vegas not being able to match what about Demko for Tuch. Then use Virtanen to offload Eriksson anywhere. This is all under the assumption that they have Markstrom locked up to a great long term deal.

If they bring back Lehner they'll find a way to move Fleury after that picture - it would just create drama to keep both. 

Tuch is on a great contract and has too much upside.  He made quite the impact this post-season.  Wouldn't be surprised if Marchessault is on the trade block well before Tuch.

They are actually fine cap wise as they have no key players to extend.

Vegas found some very cheap players who weren't regulars before the post-season.  Whitecloud did not even have 30 NHL games before the playoffs - he leads their PK in ice time in the post-season and will only cost 725K for the next 2 season.  Tuch's linemate Roy had 35 NHL games before the post-season and is already extended at 750K for 2 years.  His other linemate Cousins is a 1x 1M player that will need an extension but he's not going to cost much.  

10 hours ago, Screw said:

I'd try to put something together with Carolina.  Jake Bean? 

Benning just came out and say Virtanen did not do as well as expected.  Other GMs noticed that too.  Especially when watching the direct difference with Tuch who was drafted the same year.  

Carolina are looking to move cap elsewhere - Gardiner, Niederreiter and Dzingel are on the trade block per Burnside.  

Bean was 13th overall and on an ELC.   He's also expansion exempt and just had a very solid season in the AHL.  He probably has too much value to be available in a trade for a non impact player.  Dundon seems to be a meddling owner.  Other GMs have complained about him leaking to the press.  He talks of efficiency.  Trading Bean for an inconsistent 3rd liner who failed to make an impact in the post-season is not very logical.  

Edited by mll
He's not expansion exempt

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

This could happen as one has to consider how valuable LE is to a cap floor team or a team with financially struggling ownership. It would clear up 8M in valuable cap space for us. 

Be interesting what JB will be able to do here.

There are no teams that need help to get to the cap floor.

Teams with struggling ownership don’t want to take money back for no reason.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

They don't even want to move Pesce for Laine per LeBrun. 

A reason might be because Laine will be due a hefty raise in a couple of years and Carolina has never been known to spend big. Virtanen and Gaudette would be good middle six acquistions who would help round their team out. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

A reason might be because Laine will be due a hefty raise in a couple of years and Carolina has never been known to spend big. Virtanen and Gaudette would be good middle six acquistions who would help round their team out. 

LeBrun:  "Now, I can tell you right now the Canes do not want to deal Pesce. They love his contract. I mean, love it."

He is signed at 4.025M for another 4 years.   Gaudette and Virtanen are probably going to cost combined as much as Pesce and have nowhere near the same impact.   

• Thanks 1