The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was Virtanen mismanaged here?

Rate this topic

Odd.

It may have been a pipe dream, but I was expecting Virtanen to play like his 2015-2016 physical self in these playoffs, back when he would hit anything that moved every chance he got and always took the puck to the net. All he does now is that dump and chase and go off for a quick shift, running around not accomplishing much. 

I always get this feeling that Virtanen was mismanaged throughout his time here. Whether it be him starting a year earlier before he was really ready, those 2 years in Utica, and/or being used as a 4th line depth player. I feel like his development has stifled. I get this feeling he's being held back, whether it be the result of Green and his coaching system, or just not being a fit entirely with the makeup of this team.

I've always wonder and will continue to wonder with what seems to be Virtanen's final days in Van, what if Virtanen played in a system like the  Vegas Knights, perhaps Boston, the Caps or the Blues. Physical, north-south style teams that play a heavy game and seem to play without any limits. I feel like Virtanen would strive in those types of environments, or maybe it's just a load of BS. 

It's hard not to root for the guy, he's got a very rare blend of speed and size. Again has the toolbox, just needs someone to help him use it correctly. Unfortunately, he won't learn it here.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Many organizations would have traded or gave up on him by now. Jake dug himself a hole. The Canucks gave him every opportunity in the world to succeed. 

Sucks cause I still like the player and he has the tools fans salivate over 

Edited by Devron44
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

He was rushed to the NHL and went through a bad shoulder injury, but those things should have only hurt his skill/physicality. Virtanen's problem is between the ears.

He has been on people's radars since he was about 10-11 years old. He spent nearly a decade being the best player on his team. Some kids can be focused on getting better as opposed to worrying about who is best, but I don't know that Virtanen has that type of personality. He seems a bit immature, not too bright, and not too focused. There is a major gap between what he wants and what he's willing to do. A change of scenery might do him good. I can see video coaches, assistant coaches, trainers, etc. getting fed up with Virtanen because he has the attention span that he had about a decade ago. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Odd. said:

It may have been a pipe dream, but I was expecting Virtanen to play like his 2015-2016 physical self in these playoffs, back when he would hit anything that moved every chance he got and always took the puck to the net. All he does now is that dump and chase and go off for a quick shift, running around not accomplishing much. 

I always get this feeling that Virtanen was mismanaged throughout his time here. Whether it be him starting a year earlier before he was really ready, those 2 years in Utica, and/or being used as a 4th line depth player. I feel like his development has stifled. I get this feeling he's being held back, whether it be the result of Green and his coaching system, or just not being a fit entirely with the makeup of this team.

I've always wonder and will continue to wonder with what seems to be Virtanen's final days in Van, what if Virtanen played in a system like the  Vegas Knights, perhaps Boston, the Caps or the Blues. Physical, north-south style teams that play a heavy game and seem to play without any limits. I feel like Virtanen would strive in those types of environments, or maybe it's just a load of BS. 

It's hard not to root for the guy, he's got a very rare blend of speed and size. Again has the toolbox, just needs someone to help him use it correctly. Unfortunately, he won't learn it here.

Omgoodness    I made a post about this a long time ago and got accused of bashing the coach. 

TG has a system that Jake does not fit into.  I'm not sure if that means he is  mismanaged necessarily but he doesn't fit here. Yet he was still on pace for 21 goals. When you consider his minutes that's actually pretty good. 

Mark my words if you like, but if/when he gets traded, like you said, to the right team you will hear bitching and whining like never before on this site.

He tried to play his same style as junior in his first year but he was a little reckless. Since then I believe he has been coached to change his style of play and I believe he is unable to do so. Go watch clips of his junior career.... He doesn't play the same way now. 

So I agree with your post I'm just not sure if calling it mismanaged is the right term as that seems to Blame the coach when you can't really expect the coach to change his systems to suit one player.  

As for Jakes abilities in this league I am a believer . 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

I think his confidence was lost when he hit Polak with a huge (maybe dirty hit) and not only got suspended for it, but got called out by the leaders of the team Henrik and Desjardins instead of getting support.

WJC and 1st season Jake had swagger and loved to hit, thats why its was so furstrating to see him pass on hits against Vegas and the St.Louis because we know he has it in him. 

After hearing JB's interview today, i have no doubt Jake wont be back.

If another team still sees potential in him maybe we can anchor Eriksson with him in a trade lol. 

• Thanks 1

The thing that is troubling is that he himself must hear the rumblings. He might even hear it  more because he has friends and family here. So you'd THINK that he'd be extra motivated at some point to grow up and go all in. The latest was getting in trouble going out to clubs during COVID, then coming in out of shape, being scratched for the first games.  All of that SHOULD light a fire under any player. Especially going into the playoffs.  The perfect opportunity to counter all the haters and show everyone how you've matured and are committed.  Heck even he'd have gotten in trouble for being out of position because he'd been dishing out so  many hits, I'd welcome that. Or crashed the net once too often and gotten a suspension.  SOMETHING to indicate he was at least putting up a fight to keep his job here. 

I don't get it. He could also rake in millions more $ for himself.  I think he's like a lot of guys I've known, punching in and out at work, not really caring about the job, because your real life is outside of work.  He's just not that dedicated to learning the game any more than is necessary to scrape by in the NHL, which is still in the millions of dollars.  I just hope some sucker GM will bite on him. Right now, I'd offer him up free + LE. 

• Thanks 1