The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was Virtanen mismanaged here?

Rate this topic

Odd.

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He should have been sent back to Junior for another year, he needed it.

That said, I think that Jake might have a bit of a maturity issue and might do better being away from home. It might be best for his career.

You grow up pretty quick away from the comforts of home.

I think he'll be like Grabner.  Not a superstar but a good middle 6 winger that can pop in 20 goals.

• Cheers 2

He wasn't mismanaged. His stock began to go down in his final season in the WHL on the Hitmen and further dropped at the World Juniors. 

He hasnt lived up to draft status but if he signs a cheap contract and grinds it out on bottom 6, he can still be a valuable piece to a championship team. 

I think at this point, best case scenario ia a Raffi Torres type player. 

He too never reached his high draft status potential but learned to stay in the league by playing bottom 6.

Jake is definitely an NHLer. Question is whether he can ever become top 6.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

He got brought into the NHL to soon imo. Should have went back to Jr. If he had to earn it - he might not be so entitled. 

Draft + 1 year in Jr, Draft + 2 year in AHL,  then draft + 3 year in van.

Edited by Rush17

Well he was definitely brought up to the NHL too early, same can be said for McCann. Just bad moves at the time. 

Looking at Jake now, he can still be a good complementary player that can play through out your lineup. He doesn't need to do anything fancy, stick to a north south physical game, get opened and let the skilled players handle the puck. We need this type of player in our top 6 and it's a big reason we've been so patient with him.

But he has to take things seriously. I hope these playoffs made him realize the sacrifice it takes to succeed. His fate might depend on his exit interview for this season. I'm sure Benning wants to know where his head is at. Heck, Jake might even want a fresh start somewhere else.

JV is 24 years old and has played almost 300 NHL games.  He made the team at too young of an age but still plays like a boy amongst men.  

I think that management has expected more of him at this point.  He certainly has had many many chances and been shown all the patience in the world.  When he is on his game, he looks very good but even at this late date, he is off his game much more than he is on it.  And finally we got the chance to see him in the play offs and what?  Aside from a few good moments, he mostly laid an egg.  His play was disappointing when the majority of the team showed just the opposite.

Be that as it may, he is at the point in his career where the economics of the game is overtaking his play.  He has full arbitration rights and with a season that he scored 18-18-36 -4 will likely be awarded in the neighbourhood of $3M which is at least double what he's worth imo.  On a cap strapped team, I can't see him being qualified.  

Good luck in free agency Jake.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Now that Benning is hinting at moving Virtanen in an indirect way, Jake has probably made his long awaited pro wrestling face turn on the HF Canucks boards.

In all seriousness though, does anyone find it weird that people are this down on him despite the fact that he scored 18 goals this past season with limited minutes?

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, guntrix said:

It's a bit unfair to the team to say that Jake was mismanaged. I can't think of many players that have been given as many opportunities as the Canucks have given Virtanen over the past 5 years.

He has been given every opportunity. It's on Jake I agree.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah he was his own worst enemy but that doesn't mean he's a bust/has no hope.

Some players just take a little longer to 'see the light'.  

He needs a change of scenery.  My guess is when he sees it he'll flourish and the fire Benning crowd will make their way out of the wood works.

• Cheers 2

The only thing that was mismanaged was the scouting.   And even that wasn’t terrible.  Yakupov and Puljakarvi were busts.   JV isn’t a bust,  but expectations based on his draft position sure make him look that way.   Piles of juniors are PGP players and most don’t ever play a game in the NHL.   He’s never been a prolific scorer despite all the tools.   His marketability been a local kid might have had something to do with Vancouver picking him at 6.    Overall not the best draft either.   Also feel he never had to earn it as much as the rest do given that high draft slot.  Case in point go look at Kole Linds AHL stats and then JVs...

• Upvote 1

Jake gets traded this off season.  JB is looking to recover a pick or two. Jake has interest around the league due to his regular season so the price for him could be pretty decent.

JB is going to move him.  Saves giving out 3m of cap. I think the decision to trade Jake started when he came in out of shape again and the nightclub during covid added to it.  His lacklustre playoff performance capped it.  He is one guy who can generate a pick in return - listen to JB's interview.  That's my take on what he was saying.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

He got brought into the NHL to soon imo. Should have went back to Jr. If he had to earn it - he might not be so entitled. 

Draft + 1 year in Jr, Draft + 2 year in AHL,  then draft + 3 year in van.

Draft + 1 he was in junior. D+2 he was inelligible for the AHL, it was either junior or the NHL. He had stagnated in Junior because he was so much bigger and faster than the kids he was playing against. He needed to be challenged.

• Upvote 4