The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was Virtanen mismanaged here?

Rate this topic

Odd.

42 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Virtanen has to become more consistent, but I would suggest he is also still looking for his true identity, so it's hard to be consistent. He should evaluate what type of player he wants to be, work on the skills that get to it, and then stick with it.

How do you define "more consistent"?

The game is fluid, it changes/can change several times every shift

Is it analytics? What about the other players on the ice at the same time? Maybe, JUST maybe those players aren't matching up? Pettersson, Miller, Horvat, Boeser, I bet you can't count on two hands the number of shifts he got with them. Eriksson gets more, Pearson, Sutter.

Do you know how to see consistency? Look at Ferland's game, ALL over the place, Pearson's, up and down the wing and that' it, Those are just two easy examples, but what the hey, let's crucifiy the youngest, least paid, most goals, most hits

Why, because you heard something from Green or attributed to him? This media market has sucked up to coaches that gave them "leaks", Tortorella didn't so he got ran out of the arena by the media, really bad coach eh? going for another coach of the year and he is not happy because his team got bounced OUT of the playoffs

Watch the game, Jake has not been put in a position to succeed very often, who are his line mates?

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Remember, Virtanen was a property of Calgary Hitmen and the management didn't trust the Hitmen to develop him well as they were owned by the Flames and wanted the full control of his development.  They had to wait until they sees no other choice due to NHL/CHL agreement and by the time he was 20, he finally developed properly but it was two years too long due to the complication by the situation.  He then had 4 years to develop into a good NHLers but he has proven that he was out of shape when he had ample of opportunities to train hard for the season and it seems that he took the Canucks for granted knowing that they are their prized prospect and could easily make millions on a bad team.  Now, he is reaping what he sowing with a good team and he could be an odd man out.  It is not the management fault.  The management and the players' relationship takes two way street and the management did their part, trying to develop him and it's also onus on Jake's part to do his part and he failed them.   That is not a good rapport relationship between them both.  It's better to cut him loose to show the team that they mean what they said, get in shape for training camp and you will get the role that you wanted.  If Virtanen is out of shape by the time training camp starts, then cut him loose by the trades.

I've been a Jake supporter since the beginning, but at some point management has to realize that he can't be ready for even one training camp at the beginning of a season, nor for training camp for a series that WILL GET US INTO THE PLAYOFFS. The emphasis is added for good reason. If Jake can't get up for playoffs, when the entire rest of his team is, then he never will. (Maybe he will with another team, but he won't with us.) 

Ship him out for his own good. And for our good. I'm sure Green et al will be happy to not have to continue developing a player each year like that, only to not see things sink in time and time again. 

Jake is a classic example of a young person squandering a golden opportunity. It's a total shame. 

• Cheers 3

People keep wanting to give Jake excuses but I hate to say it, JB sees what's going on and wasn't too impressed in his post-season press conference. Yes, he put up a nice 20-goal-pace, 40-point-pace regular season but was pretty invisible for most of the playoffs despite getting some quality minutes on our top line.

I do wonder if JB gives him one last chance to prove himself - a bridge contract - or tries to trade his rights. Personally, as much as I have displayed how much I think it was a stupid pick compared to Nylander at the time, he is on the cusp of breaking out next season and could score a good 20+ goals for us so I'd be inclined to give him one last chance. One bridge contract, one year deal, 2-2.25M deal, show us what you've got or you're out.

The thing is, he still has some value being so young and might be quite tempting to package or trade for a prospect defenceman as we look in the future to try and replace Eddy and Tanev. I hope JB gives him one more year's worth of a chance but he's not going to get anymore than that. We drafted him for physicality and since the McDavid pre-season hit ages ago there's been almost nothing.

14 hours ago, Rush17 said:

All that putting Jake in the NHL early was sell tickets and give him a sense of entitlement. 

14 hours ago, Rush17 said:

He has been given every opportunity. It's on Jake I agree.

are you not contradicting yourself here?

If, as you say, he was "put" in the NHL to sell tickets, and "given" the sense of entitlement, and "given" every opportunity, is that not all on the team?

And has Jake ever been "given the opportunity" to find "His" game?

Jake has been a square peg in a round hole his entire career, how is that "given" the opportunity?

Is he a goon? No. Is he a scorer? No. is he fast? Yes. Has he had the opportunity to round out his defensive game, (like Kesler and Burrows)? No. Was he featured by management as a buddy of Beibs? yes,(seriously, what were they thinking?) he was at a very young age. Has he been chastised publicly by the captaincy? yes, twice.

It may well be time to cut bait on Jake Virtanen, but Management has a long list of mistakes along the way.

It may well be that Jake never understands what is expected of him in Vancouver

Look at some of the players from Jakes draft class, Hayden Fleury (drafted right after Jake), Travis Sanhiem(also from Calgary) they took a more traditional route of Jr, AHL before coming to the big leagues. Only Larkin and Pasta were drafted after the top 3 that look like they should have gone much higher, otherwise there is a whole lot of comparable players to Virtanen. Many of Jake's contemporaries have been traded .

Other than size and skating, I do not see anything in Jake's make up that suggest he should have been rushed to the NHL and skipped 5 more years (2 in Jr and 3 in the A) of developement.

When he gets to his next team, then it will be time to say its all on Jake.

On 9/9/2020 at 11:45 AM, gurn said:

That is a huge exaggeration. 2 guys picked before him have done very little, in not 18 year old Sam Bennet and Michael Dal Colle.

With 7 others from the first round being basically unheard from since the draft.

Then in the second round, lots have never made it, before the 45 pick.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2014e.html

IIRC, the Jake debate got big because of the two players drafted after him. Ehlers was coming off 104 points in 63 games in the Q and Nylander was playing as much as 20 minutes a night as a 17 year-old in the SHL against grown men. Even without hindsight, the Jake pick was controversial at the time. 

Jake is oozing with talent has has been privy to excellent coaching in Vancouver and Utica. The problem is his low hockey iq and will to buy in to the team philosophy. 

I really like the guy and have been rooting for him all along and this year he would have got 20 goals but this team plays as a team and not as individuals. This doesn't bode well for Jake.

25 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

on a $1.25M salary cap hit contract to boot.

if the price is right, he's a fine member of the team despites his shortcomings imo unless there is some real cultural/attitude issue we are unaware of and he doesn't mesh in the room

If JV is what he is... a 3rd liner that can score 15+ goals, then we should keep him even with his short comings.

$2M x 4yrs.

Edited by BPA
  • Cheers 2

I am a big believer in Buying LOW and Selling High..

Right now Jake's value is reduced.... not the time to sell.

Sign him and see how next year goes....  Hopefully he has a better year...  If you still think he is not a great team guy... then trade him at the deadline. Get more value than moving him at this time. Inflate his value next season... by playing him up the lineup more often.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 12:56 PM, Lazurus said:

How do you define "more consistent"?

The game is fluid, it changes/can change several times every shift

Is it analytics? What about the other players on the ice at the same time? Maybe, JUST maybe those players aren't matching up? Pettersson, Miller, Horvat, Boeser, I bet you can't count on two hands the number of shifts he got with them. Eriksson gets more, Pearson, Sutter.

Do you know how to see consistency? Look at Ferland's game, ALL over the place, Pearson's, up and down the wing and that' it, Those are just two easy examples, but what the hey, let's crucifiy the youngest, least paid, most goals, most hits

Why, because you heard something from Green or attributed to him? This media market has sucked up to coaches that gave them "leaks", Tortorella didn't so he got ran out of the arena by the media, really bad coach eh? going for another coach of the year and he is not happy because his team got bounced OUT of the playoffs

Watch the game, Jake has not been put in a position to succeed very often, who are his line mates?

Personally don't think it matters as much who his linemates are. 

Jakes game is him using his speed, power and shot, not his line mates. Like Kesler did. Could never find a linemates for that guy either because of the way he played.

Jake will take off, either when he re figures that out or when he gets a coach who will allow him to play that way. 

He has the ability to take things into his own hands.  It's either coaching, or confidence imo. 

If it's the coaches system then he doesn't seem able to adjust. 

Why do we keep getting so many posts about this guy? How many years of ice time do some fans need to see to realize that Jake is a fringe 3rd liner and nothing more? He has had far too many opportunities and it is clearly evident that he is nothing more than what we’ve seen. Please stop :picard: