The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Kris Letang expects to be traded from Pittsburgh

Kris Letang never wants to play for another NHL team. He thinks he will, though.

In the days following the Penguins’ loss in the Stanley Cup playoffs qualifying round last month, shortly after sharing with team officials his desire to retire a Penguin, Letang told several teammates he expected to be traded this offseason.

Interviews with more than a dozen team and league sources revealed that Letang, the most accomplished defenseman in Penguins history, is at a crossroads similar to the one teammate Evgeni Malkin found himself at after the 2018-19 season. While Malkin always has brushed off any indication he could be traded, Letang has taken it seriously since first learning of reports and speculation in the 2012-13 season.

In recent conversations, Rutherford has asked opposing GMs if they were “interested in Letang,” according to multiple league sources, who cautioned the Penguins’ GM wasn’t trying to trade Letang as much as “feeling out what value Letang would have.”

“Honestly, it doesn’t sound like they know what the market is for Letang,” one league source said. “Jim was fishing. That’s not exactly trying to trade the guy. But the word’s out that Jim wants to know what he could get from one of the teams Letang could go to.”

Full article: https://theathletic.com/2049879/2020/09/08/kris-letang-trade-rumors-pittsburgh-penguins-offseason-plans-2020/

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

An oft-injured, expensive, small(ish) D, that's well into the career back-9?

THAT's gotta be tempting!

Multiple-time cup-winning #1, right-handed defenseman with 80 career playoff points, assistant captain, a manageable amount of term on his contract, paced for 59 points last year including 20 goals (paced for 20 goals and 70 points the year before), 6'0/205 pounds.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

$7,250,000 for 2 more years with a NMC. How are they going to trade him?

He is pretty expensive, but he's still got game and brings championship pedigree. An upgrade from Tanev anyway, who's only 2 years younger. 

15 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Little think called the cap wants a word. Throw in Eriksson and I am game.

Jim can figure it out :lol: a touch old for us i bet. but he would be a hell of an add. He is hurt more often than healthy tho so probably not a wise idea.

Most teams that could use him are likely on his list of teams he wouldn't go to, such as Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa.  Toronto would be interested but Pittsburgh would have to take a bad contract back in Nylander, which doesn't make sense for them.  Islanders would probably make the most sense after they lock up Barzal.

5 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

He's still effective when healthy and adds valuable experience. 

Could be valuable to a team trying to win now.

Just imagine what Hughes could do with Letang’s knowledge.

A Twilight Hall of Famer passing the torch to the next Hall of Famer, and on the way, picking up another Cup?

7EBA4CEE-8C26-4CBE-A6D6-C5900DAB1643.jpeg

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

I have always wondered how Penguin remains competitive with a lineup of no name defensemen.... Now they are trading away their best defensemen.. What are they left with...? 

Still think Maatta was a mistake to trade.  This is why I don't want to move OJ.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Cuz they're both named Olli

Because Maatta was given as a comparable when OJ was drafted. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/olli-juolevi-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/

Very sturdily built D-man that leans into his hits, competes hard, and possesses elite-level vision and hockey sense. Looks stronger game-by-game and adapts very quickly to his surroundings and situations. Scouts liken Olli Juolevi to Olli Maatta of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Both are fluid skaters and have deep-rooted understandings of their position. Both have tremendous skill and talent, and both will go far in their careers.

Curtis Joe, Elite Prospects

They played for the same junior team so it was fairly easy to do a comparison of the two players.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Because Maatta was given as a comparable when OJ was drafted. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/olli-juolevi-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/

Hide contents

Very sturdily built D-man that leans into his hits, competes hard, and possesses elite-level vision and hockey sense. Looks stronger game-by-game and adapts very quickly to his surroundings and situations. Scouts liken Olli Juolevi to Olli Maatta of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Both are fluid skaters and have deep-rooted understandings of their position. Both have tremendous skill and talent, and both will go far in their careers.

Curtis Joe, Elite Prospects

They played for the same junior team so it was fairly easy to do a comparison of the two players.

I know I was just kidding. I think OJ is gonna be a good upgrade next year, esp. after watching all the brutal d-end breakouts against Vegas.

• Haha 1