Sign in to follow this  
Teemu Selänne

[Rumour] Kris Letang expects to be traded from Pittsburgh

Just now, King Heffy said:

Because Maatta was given as a comparable when OJ was drafted. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/olli-juolevi-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/

Hide contents

Very sturdily built D-man that leans into his hits, competes hard, and possesses elite-level vision and hockey sense. Looks stronger game-by-game and adapts very quickly to his surroundings and situations. Scouts liken Olli Juolevi to Olli Maatta of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Both are fluid skaters and have deep-rooted understandings of their position. Both have tremendous skill and talent, and both will go far in their careers.

Curtis Joe, Elite Prospects

They played for the same junior team so it was fairly easy to do a comparison of the two players.

I know I was just kidding. I think OJ is gonna be a good upgrade next year, esp. after watching all the brutal d-end breakouts against Vegas.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Sounds destined for Seattle.

If he has a NMC he must be protected.  Only way to go to Seattle is if he waives the NMC.

• Hydration 1

I've always been a huge Letang fan and think he's hugely underrated. He's been hovering around the level of top 10 defenseman for the last 10 years or so and if he weren't so injury prone, would be much more talked about.

• Hydration 1

45 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I've always been a huge Letang fan and think he's hugely underrated. He's been hovering around the level of top 10 defenseman for the last 10 years or so and if he weren't so injury prone, would be much more talked about.

Me too, especially given how close he was with Bourdon.

• Hydration 1

If we didn’t have Hughes I would say sure but we need a Pronger to go with our Neidermayer and Letang is not even close to being a Pronger....

If Pittsburgh willing to take some money back and the price isn't astronomical...I'd be willing to take a risk just for his pedigree around our team and Hughes in particular.

I know Pittsburgh wouldn't take Eriksson but maybe Baertschi + ?

7 hours ago, grandmaster said:

If we didn’t have Hughes I would say sure but we need a Pronger to go with our Neidermayer and Letang is not even close to being a Pronger....

Yeah - for starters, he doesn't try to do foot amputation surgery as part of his day job...  :blink:

12 hours ago, Me_ said:

Just imagine what Hughes could do with Letang’s knowledge.

A Twilight Hall of Famer passing the torch to the next Hall of Famer, and on the way, picking up another Cup?

No Thanks to an older declining expensive, oft- injured dman.

Pittsburg realizes it's better to get younger, stronger, quicker cheaper, and hopefully so do the Canucks

Hughes is doing just fine without him and will do so like all other greats before him have

• Vintage 1

Sadly I see Letang doing a Mike Green over the next 2 seasons and want zero part of him

• Confused 1

On 9/9/2020 at 12:29 AM, Drakrami said:

I have always wondered how Penguin remains competitive with a lineup of no name defensemen.... Now they are trading away their best defensemen.. What are they left with...? 

They are the recent example that good D isn’t necessary to win playoffs - average ones can too with very good goaltending (.921sp),  and depth down the middle.   Both cups they were middling possesion teams as well...one cup no Letang and gulp EDM minus magnet Shultz took over his role...Ian Cole...nothing really at all inspiring on their D.   Crosby should also have Selke considerations by now, voters just don’t go there for guys that can put up points like he was.  PITs model of counter-attack is what gave me hope this year and will give me some more next year. 

Only way this could work is if Louis Eriksson was going the other way. Something like:

To Van:

Letang

to Pit:

Louis Eriksson

UFA rights to Chris Tanev

2021 4th round pick 

otherwise no way he comes to van city with 2 years left. 

43 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Only way this could work is if Louis Eriksson was going the other way. Something like:

To Van:

Letang

to Pit:

Louis Eriksson

UFA rights to Chris Tanev

2021 4th round pick 

otherwise no way he comes to van city with 2 years left. 

no why in hell they are expecting this. Heck Mike Milbury and Peter Chiarelli are hanging up

If true - it sounds fairly amateurish.

'Hey, just fishing around for potential market values.'......not really shopping him, just 'curious'.   I imagine the GMs whose time he wastes with this appreciate the call.

My answer would be - take a position - before you expect anyone else to entertain it.

I could see why he'd be non-commital though.

The trade market will be generally deflated - a buyer's market.

Letang didn't have a particularly good playoffs.

Letang holds a NMC - which runs through the expansion draft.

The two years of term remaining is one aspect that might be attractive to particular teams - moreso, for example than an albatross to Karlsson, but still,  hard to see that many suitors capable of taking that cap and willing to part with the assets in the present context - and Pitts are not likely to be wanting cap in return unless it's comparably productive cap.

From the Canuck's perspective it would be a hard no for me for all kinds of reasons.