The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(discussion) Tyler Motte 3C ?

Rate this topic

JM_

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

That said AG didn’t get on the score sheet.   Motte won a game by himself on the 4th line.   Maybe it’s just age difference.. but If I ranked the forwards AG would be near the bottom and Motter would be between BB and Pearson. 

AG scored 33 in 59 this year. That's not negligeable. He got benched for a lot of the playoffs after a poor performance in game 1 vs Minny, a game where 75% of the team failed to show up to. I admit it must be hard to come in to a series vs the defending champs and/or the favorites and automatically produce. 

Motte was a revelation in that series, and proved he can be a streaky depth producer. AG's ceiling is still far above Motte's.

14 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Every team needs a supporting cast who play tough and fast and contribute on the score sheet from time to time.  I'd say Motte passed the test.

Some other players went quiet and those are the ones on the hot seat imo.  Low producers in the playoffs who should be concerned I think are:

1. Roussel 2-2-4 in 17 games
  2. Virtanen 2-1-3 in 16 games
  3. Eriksson 0-0-0 in 10 games
  4. Gaudette 0-0-0 in 10 games

I'm going to give Beagle a pass with 2 points because that's what is expected and Myers with no points in 10 games because he really took a shot for the team and missed 7 games

Loui was actually pretty useful for this first 5 games of his run. I'm glad AG got the experience in, he looked very overmatched to me but you have to start somewhere. 

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

AG scored 33 in 59 this year. That's not negligeable. He got benched for a lot of the playoffs after a poor performance in game 1 vs Minny, a game where 75% of the team failed to show up to. I admit it must be hard to come in to a series vs the defending champs and/or the favorites and automatically produce. 

Motte was a revelation in that series, and proved he can be a streaky depth producer. AG's ceiling is still far above Motte's.

Yes AG is raw and has potential.   And hope he’s a big part of the new core.   That he was timid as a non-factor throughout the playoffs when it matters the most.   The club has a long history of no - shows.   He definitely deserves more chances but Motte deserves a promotion too.  Hope he gets one.  

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes AG is raw and has potential.   And hope he’s a big part of the new core.   That he was timid as a non-factor throughout the playoffs when it matters the most.   The club has a long history of no - shows.   He definitely deserves more chances but Motte deserves a promotion too.  Hope he gets one.  

Motte deserves a promotion. No debate here.

• Cheers 1

Why would we try to make Motter into a center?  His strengths are in puck battles, hits, forechecking and PK speed/counterpunch. Centers need to take face offs, spend a lot of time in the middle of the ice. I wouldn’t bet against him, but there are other options for a third line C. I’d be willing to give him a shot at the wing on the second line before this. As long as he gets 15 or so minutes a game you can call him whatever line you want. Just sign the guy and let him do his thing. He is good at it. 

On 9/9/2020 at 7:43 AM, Robert Long said:

Watching Motte step up this playoffs has made me wonder.... could we possibly have our next 3C in Motte? 

Its a small sample size to work from, but he did have a great college career and has shown he clearly has the defensive capability and he looks to have some offensive capacity in the NHL as well. He doesn't have much of a face off history tho, so Malholtra would have a real project there. 

If we're "stuck" with Sutter going into next year I wonder if we should think about grooming Motte to take over the 3C role. Maybe a line of Sutter-Motte-MacEwan? 

Just wondering if anyone else thinks we might have an in-house answer to our next 3C. 

I'd go a different route - keep the Motte/Beagle combination together - add another veteran center to the mix. Keep Beagle, Sutter, Motte....

I'd go after Brad Richardson to add to that group.

He gives you another outstanding faceoff guy - and a one-two left and right handed punch on your third line with Sutter.   He's also a sneaky counterpuncher - like Sutter - who could give the 3rd line a nice ability to handle very hard minutes, while also counterpunching.

Strengthen/deepen the bottom six - the most cost effective way of improving a team.   Move Roussel in favour of Richardson (or comparable).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I'd go a different route - keep the Motte/Beagle combination together - add another veteran center to the mix. Keep Beagle, Sutter, Motte....

I'd go after Brad Richardson to add to that group.

He gives you another outstanding faceoff guy - and a one-two left and right handed punch on your third line with Sutter.   He's also a sneaky counterpuncher - like Sutter - who could give the 3rd line a nice ability to handle very hard minutes, while also counterpunching.

Strengthen/deepen the bottom six - the most cost effective way of improving a team.   Move Roussel in favour of Richardson (or comparable).

yup that works. Maybe move Jake and Rous as a package for a pick? That would be a good move by Ottawa e.g., for one of their 2nd rounders. 

23 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

yup that works. Maybe move Jake and Rous as a package for a pick? That would be a good move by Ottawa e.g., for one of their 2nd rounders. 

I'd be keeping Virtanen.  I agree with Benning's comments - intended to light a fire under him - but I'd look to move more significant veteran winger contracts before Virtanen, regardless of the returns.

Richardson was a 1.25 million cap hit the past two seasons.

This year:

30.1% ozone starts.

54% faceoffs

+1 as a shutdown center.

#1 penalty killing forward on the Yotes.

Last year:

19 goals

54.9% faceoff guy

Selke candidate.

33.7% ozone starts

+6

He's 35.  He won't command long term.  He deserves more than 1.25, but serioulsy pursue this player and get it done.  Bring Richie back for a late career cup run here.

The core is still very young.

The team has another wave of young talent - particularly young potential top 6 wingers to integrate.

Continue building foundation.

Edited by oldnews

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'd be keeping Virtanen.  I agree with Benning's comments - intended to light a fire under him - but I'd look to move more significant veteran winger contracts before Virtanen, regardless of the returns.

This year:

30.1% ozone starts.

54% faceoffs

+1 as a shutdown center.

#1 penalty killing forward on the Yotes.

Last year:

19 goals

54.9% faceoff guy

Selke candidate.

33.7% ozone starts

+6

He's 35.  He won't command long term.  He deserves more than 1.25, but serioulsy pursue this player and get it done.  Bring Richie back for a late career cup run here.

The core is still very young.

The team has another wave of young talent - particularly young potential top 6 wingers to integrate.

Continue building foundation.

For me Jake has shown he's not going to be worth the money. Of course I could be wrong but if we could get a young RHD for him I'd be thrilled.

Totally agree on Richardson, that would be a very nice pick up. 

Don't see it, both when it comes to him being a center and him moving up the lineup. 

Firstly, his game is perfectly suited to being an energy/checking winger. He can play like a chicken with his head cut off at times, which is sometimes good but can also sometimes be bad when he gets running around in his own zone.

As for moving up the lineup, I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves after watching 1 good series vs the Blues. The rest of his career - a decent sample size - suggests that he's a marginal player. If he continues making a strong impact next season he could earn a promotion to 3W but I hope management isn't penciling him as anything higher than 4W on their drawing board this off-season.

On 9/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, Moose Nuckle said:

I see Gaudette as a Linden Vey. Should trade him. 

On 9/9/2020 at 10:06 AM, Moose Nuckle said:

Vey was good, just not great. 

Vey was awful. Gaudette may not turn out to be anything special but he's shown a lot more (40+ point pace in his sophomore year) than Vey ever did. 

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't agree we should keep Virtanen. If these playoffs weren't enough to light a fire under him, what will be? He has squandered chance after chance. I still believe he has the capability of being an impact player - but it won't be with us. This team is built on heart and soul, and he is the odd man out.

As for Richardson, I'm on board. Always liked him and he tries hard. Saves 2m cap over Virtanen and isolates us from a potential arbitration settlement.

As for the topic of moving Motte to 3c, no thanks. Motte is most effective in limited minutes on the 4th line so he can give it his all put there. He cannot sustain that playing style with significantly increased ice time PLUS the added responsibilities of a center. I love Motte and expect him to sign another contract with us, but let the guy do what he's been doing.

On 9/12/2020 at 9:44 PM, kanucks25 said:

Vey was awful. Gaudette may not turn out to be anything special but he's shown a lot more (40+ point pace in his sophomore year) than Vey ever did. 

Vey had a 30 point pace in his second real season on the worst Canucks team I've ever seen. I hope Gaudette gets packaged with Eriksson and traded. 

People have Gaudette overvalued, similar to Vey when we got him, and he'll be able to get rid of a bad contract.

Remember when Vey was out performing Toffoli and Pearson? Pepperidge farm remembers. 

You have a selective memory on Vey. He was seen the same as Gaudette is now and plays a similar style game. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle

6 hours ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Vey had a 30 point pace in his second real season on the worst Canucks team I've ever seen. I hope Gaudette gets packaged with Eriksson and traded. 

People have Gaudette overvalued, similar to Vey when we got him, and he'll be able to get rid of a bad contract.

Remember when Vey was out performing Toffoli and Pearson? Pepperidge farm remembers. 

You have a selective memory on Vey. He was seen the same as Gaudette is now and plays a similar style game. 

Again, not saying Gaudette is anything special and isn't expendable but he's not slow or soft or useless as Vey was.

I don't know who you think was excited for Vey, but whoever was obviously didn't know what was going on because he was a "prospect" that his original team gave up on for good reason; he didn't have what was required to transition his skill game to the NHL level (one of Benning's many "fast-forward the rebuild by trading for other teams' already developed young player even though the reason that other team was willing to trade them away was because they knew said player wasn't going to amount to anything"). And the only reason he was producing in the AHL was because he had guys like Pearson and Toffoli on his wings.

I think Gaudette has middle-6 scoring C potential but I don't know how likely he is to hit it. Thing is, we already have two scoring centers and we need to make room for a solid checking (that isn't Sutter, because we can't rely on him to play regularly).

On 9/15/2020 at 5:48 PM, kanucks25 said:

Again, not saying Gaudette is anything special and isn't expendable but he's not slow or soft or useless as Vey was.

I don't know who you think was excited for Vey, but whoever was obviously didn't know what was going on because he was a "prospect" that his original team gave up on for good reason; he didn't have what was required to transition his skill game to the NHL level (one of Benning's many "fast-forward the rebuild by trading for other teams' already developed young player even though the reason that other team was willing to trade them away was because they knew said player wasn't going to amount to anything"). And the only reason he was producing in the AHL was because he had guys like Pearson and Toffoli on his wings.

I think Gaudette has middle-6 scoring C potential but I don't know how likely he is to hit it. Thing is, we already have two scoring centers and we need to make room for a solid checking (that isn't Sutter, because we can't rely on him to play regularly).

“He is one of those guys that can buy time with the puck and he has real good vision so he can set players up for good scoring chances,” Benning said. “His vision of the ice and his ability to find open guys is a skill that he has that I think separates him from other players. He has worked hard this summer and is in the best shape he has ever been in, so I’m looking forward to seeing what he does.”

I love what Motte brings to the team, but I would prefer he just does what he does currently. Hard work along the sides and in the corners. Harder to do at center position.

I also don't know if he's shown his passing is anything more than average. Or smarts, tbh. Or hands, really. There is a reason Green was asked why he is even in the lineup.

But he is, because he has one hell of a motor and mental drive, speed, and is one of our hardest workers and most prolific hitters we have. 

I love Motte. Let him Motte.

Edited by kloubek

On 9/9/2020 at 5:26 PM, Crabcakes said:

Every team needs a supporting cast who play tough and fast and contribute on the score sheet from time to time.  I'd say Motte passed the test.

Some other players went quiet and those are the ones on the hot seat imo.  Low producers in the playoffs who should be concerned I think are:

1. Roussel 2-2-4 in 17 games
  2. Virtanen 2-1-3 in 16 games
  3. Eriksson 0-0-0 in 10 games
  4. Gaudette 0-0-0 in 10 games

I'm going to give Beagle a pass with 2 points because that's what is expected and Myers with no points in 10 games because he really took a shot for the team and missed 7 games

:I wouldn't complain about Roussel's production as he only averaged 7:26 per game. Three misconducts didn't help him. The only guys averaging less ice time per game were Ferland and Juolevi. Virtanen should be worried with Motte and Rousel out producing him considering he had PP time they didn't.

I think he would be wasted as a centre. I think of him as a Hansen type player. Puck hound and does the dirty work. You can move him up and down the lineup, or even throw him out with the second line during a game if they need a bit of grit or if you want to go aggressive on the forecheck with Horvat.

AG has a decent season but was protected. I would like us to role three scoring lines (which means there is a place for him as 3c) and the 4th as a shutdown, but that does mean though that he also needs to be responsible defensively which he just isn’t. He doesn’t need to become a shut down centre he just needs to not be outmatched whenever he is on the ice 

Edited by UKNuck96