Sign in to follow this  
PunjabiCanucks

[Proposal] Kevin Shattenkirk

With the roster size of 15 currently and only 6 mill in cap space. The Lightning , despite their tax break, will find themselves in cap hell.

Shattenkirk is coming into UFA and is someone I would like to see the Canucks go after. With Stetcher probably wanting a pay raise it may be best to let him walk and attempt to obtain the veteran Dman who would be a good fit on our 2nd pp.

With Sergachev's ELC expiring they must let him go to avoid cap hell

Shattenkirk currently makes $1.75 million and I believe we could look into giving him a 2.5-3 million range contract for 3 to 4 years.

Edited by PunjabiCanucks
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If they let Sergachev go maybe they'll keep Kevin if he signs for cheap?  
Depending on the price ofc there would be interest but we have our own fish to fry too.

No more defensemen who can't play defense.  We don't need to relive the nightmare of Larsen,  Pouliot, Del Zotto, Bartkowski, and Weber.  Shattenkirk is a huge liability in his own end.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

35 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Shattenkirk is a huge liability in his own end.

and yet he's in the Final 4 on a contender. I don't think Tampa has any weaknesses on D. Shattenkirk was a +22 last season and is +9 in these playoffs. 

He brings truculence and experience, which was missing from the Canucks D.  Right shot, at 31 still has some years left. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I think Shattenkirk would look great with Edler and fill out the top-4 nicely, plus run the 2nd PP unit.

It's been rumoured/posted before that he only wants to play in the States- and when Edmonton tried to trade for him he turned down discussions of a long-term contract.

He has one more year on his buyout from NYR, but I wonder if he also sees this off-season as his last chance to get a big contract. If the Canucks can fit him in I'd be all for it.

Also love these quotes about him:

And several players commented on how struck they were that it was Shattenkirk who delivered an emotional and motivational speech at the second intermission of Game 5 against Columbus, fueling a comeback that sealed the series. “We needed someone to step up and say something,” center Tyler Johnson said. “He did. Kind of got the guys rallying.”

“He was brought up right,” Maloney said. “He had a healthy perspective on things. My daughter grew up in the same generation; she was somewhat cynical of hockey players. The one guy she looked up to was Shattenkirk. She thought he was different, that he was special. It was just his presence.

“The American community of hockey can breed an entitled attitude when you’re at a top school where a lot of the top players go. Some are always looking around for the next step to get up the ladder. There’s a generation of American players that had a reputation for being entitled. I would defy anyone to say along the way you got the feeling that Kevin Shattenkirk thought he was entitled to anything.”

Shattenkirk played the rest of his high school career in the USA Hockey National Team Development Program in Ann Arbor, Mich. Some of the most elite hockey players in his age group were on that team, including two other future NHLers in van Riemsdyk and Colin Wilson. Yet it was Shattenkirk who was named captain.

“He was our leader,” said Ron Rolston, 53, Shattenkirk’s coach at USNTDP and now the associate coach at Providence College. “He was really inclusive. He was just the Pied Piper, basically. Everyone just followed him. You could see he had great leadership qualities. It’s hard for guys to lead other guys that are the same age. You don’t want them to get mad at you. But he did a great job.

“Kevin wasn’t a rah-rah guy. But he’d certainly speak up and talk when he needed to at the right moments as a leader. But his play in the big moments was also key.”

“It’s what leaders do,” Cooper said. “He has that outgoing personality, and that sets him apart from others. There are guys that get a temperature of the room; they’ve got timing. They know when to step up and when not to. Shatty checks off a lot of boxes you want in a leader. There are the silent types that lead more with their actions, but you need the guys that will speak up and talk about some things, whether it’s the issues we’re going through on or off the ice, and Shatty is pretty comfortable doing it.”

https://theathletic.com/2032094/2020/08/31/the-pied-piper-6-of-kevin-shattenkirks-coaches-say-he-was-born-to-lead/

• Like 1

You know I have come to the conclusion investing in veteran players who were considered very good but are past-their-prime is just not a sound startegy. I would invest more resources in scouting, drafting and developing players, then when the time is right provide them with an opportunity to learn the game on the ice within a proven system.

What about Bogosian on approx $2m AAV contract? Has size and grit and would be quite suitable in that 3rd pairing RD role. Able to step up to 2nd pairing in case of injury...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

and yet he's in the Final 4 on a contender. I don't think Tampa has any weaknesses on D. Shattenkirk was a +22 last season and is +9 in these playoffs. 

He brings truculence and experience, which was missing from the Canucks D.  Right shot, at 31 still has some years left. 

Tampa is winning in spite of him, not because of him.  He isn't a legitimate NHLer at this point in his career.

• Haha 1

If we lost Tanev?  And I prefer Tanev...

I would be very interested in Kevin Shattenkirk!

We could construct a pretty deadly attacking game style surrounding Hughes, Petey, Shattenkirk, Rathbone...  

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

No more defensemen who can't play defense.  We don't need to relive the nightmare of Larsen,  Pouliot, Del Zotto, Bartkowski, and Weber.  Shattenkirk is a huge liability in his own end.

He’s nothing like these guys.  Yes once his career took a nose dive production wise in NYR,  he’s still a top four D in this league and a huge upgrade on Stetcher. 

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Tampa is winning in spite of him, not because of him.  He isn't a legitimate NHLer at this point in his career.

If he’s so bad how come he’s playing around 20 mins most nights?  And his career stats are better then Edlers...no -39 anywhere.   On bad teams expect bad plus minus’s goes both ways.    He’s a legit top four RHD on most teams, definitely an upgrade on Stetcher and still in his prime. 

11 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

You know I have come to the conclusion investing in veteran players who were considered very good but are past-their-prime is just not a sound startegy. I would invest more resources in scouting, drafting and developing players, then when the time is right provide them with an opportunity to learn the game on the ice within a proven system.

For sure.   But in the cap world you need a blend and if you can improve your team you do it.   I’d rather pay Shattenkirk 3 million for 2-3 years then re-sign Stecher for example.   It’s an upgrade.   Defenseman age like fine wine - fans need to realize 30 for a forward is a lot different the 30 for a defenseman of equal caliber.   A lot of Ds have their best seasons after 30.  Rare that forwards do.  Edler is a recent example for us (since the worlds when he was around 30 things got better).   Burns and Lidstrom are extreme examples but they aren’t outliers it happens frequently enough that these guys don’t need to be written off so quickly.   For a reminder Lidstrom didn’t win a Norris in his 20’s.   Burns too.  Visnovsky...Zubov has his best season in years at 37 (over 70 points) when the rules changed.    Good grief.   Yes absolutely for sure we jump on it if Shattenkirk is available at 3-4 for a couple of years.   He’d anchor our second PP too. 

10 hours ago, Whalespray said:

We don't need D on the back side of 30. Now if Sergachev was available I would pay a hefty price.

Well I guess you should read my above post.   30 doesn’t mean done if your a legitimate top four D which he most definitely is.   It comes down to money of course.  But he’s not done yet and could come cheap. 

12 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I think Shattenkirk would look great with Edler and fill out the top-4 nicely, plus run the 2nd PP unit.

It's been rumoured/posted before that he only wants to play in the States- and when Edmonton tried to trade for him he turned down discussions of a long-term contract.

He has one more year on his buyout from NYR, but I wonder if he also sees this off-season as his last chance to get a big contract. If the Canucks can fit him in I'd be all for it.

Also love these quotes about him:

https://theathletic.com/2032094/2020/08/31/the-pied-piper-6-of-kevin-shattenkirks-coaches-say-he-was-born-to-lead/

People must have short term memories. When he was up for his last deal numbers like 8 were coming up and he left cash on the table to do a short term deal with NYR, the team he always dreamed of playing for - teams lined up to pay him more for 7 years but he said no.    Then he went to TB on a steal of a deal to get a shot at a cup.   Shattenkirk oozes character and we’d be lucky to have him.    His career earnings would have easily doubled if he took the easy and greedy route - for sure someone would have signed him at 7 x 7 at the time.   Anyone who’s outright saying “he’s too old” “he sucks at defense” etc doesn’t know much about this guy and needs to dig a little deeper.   I’m sure St Louis would have loved to still have him. I’d take him over both Stecher in a second at equal cap hit.   His time with NYR didn’t do him any favours - it happens.   Remember when Ovi was considered done back in the same time frame?  I do.   Whomever gets Shattenkirk next year won’t be disappointed. 

• Hydration 1

14 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

With the roster size of 15 currently and only 6 mill in cap space. The Lightning , despite their tax break, will find themselves in cap hell.

Shattenkirk is coming into UFA and is someone I would like to see the Canucks go after. With Stetcher probably wanting a pay raise it may be best to let him walk and attempt to obtain the veteran Dman who would be a good fit on our 2nd pp.

Shattenkirk currently makes $1.75 million and I believe we could look into giving him a 2.5-3 million range contract for 3 to 4 years.

Good find and good thread.  If he signs with us at that price we’d have just had a major coupe.   Our R side needs two upgrades and this for sure would be one of them.  

15 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

No thanks

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

He’s nothing like these guys.  Yes once his career took a nose dive production wise in NYR,  he’s still a top four D in this league and a huge upgrade on Stetcher. 

I don't care how many points he puts up, when you're as brutal in your own end as he is, you're hurting the team.  We have multiple guys on the Comets who are better than this pylon.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't care how many points he puts up, when you're as brutal in your own end as he is, you're hurting the team.  We have multiple guys on the Comets who are better than this pylon.

Ok Heffy.  That’s funny stuff. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ok Heffy.  That’s funny stuff. 

Not joking.  He's as bad in his own end as Barrie.  That simply isn't acceptable.