The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Vancouver Canucks Canada's best chance at a Stanley Cup?

Rate this topic

Canucks_fo_life

20 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Easy to say now, since we were the last Canadian team standing...but remember 3 years ago when the Oilers lost in the Conference Finals or when Tavares signed with the Leafs....they were suppose to be the best chance we got...

Things changes quickly!  Especially with the "unconventional" playoffs, I don't think it was a true picture of the NHL balance of power.

Teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston and St-Louis, who are usually engine that start of slow but gets going in March/April, were too slow to start up the engine again in a short period of time.  Anyways we'll never know.  

Next year we'll know more about the Canucks if they are ready to take the next step or if this was just a fluke.

Don’t forget WNP.   One of the best young cores in the league plus a lot of their last core in their prime .... no weakness in any key area (center, D and goaltending).   They were Canada’s best chance and really still should be.   Just shows you how good they are after losing their entire R side D which was one of their best strengths before last year, and still did ok. 

On 9/11/2020 at 1:11 AM, morgo said:

Wow :lol:

I hope you're preparing for disappointment.  That Orca's going to be ubiquitous with the Canuck's first championship very soon.  Likely within the next three years so you can either embrace it as the Canucks logo or move on.

Morgo I laughed because your avatar comes with one of the more constipated versions of the Orca.    No need to move on - now that the Black Skates had three games - we made it to three series.  Not a coincidence.   When we play them five times that’s when we win our first cup (four just gets us to the finals).  That’s the power of the Linden uniforms.  Embrace both.  I’m fine with the Orca because no point in worrying about things that you can’t change - but it won’t be the majorly fan favourite until us oldies die out.   Maybe even then.  Team should have worn them against Vegas, Reaves would have crapped his pants and got a concussion when he ran Motter ha ha. 

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Morgo I laughed because your avatar comes with one of the more constipated versions of the Orca.    No need to move on - now that the Black Skates had three games - we made it to three series.  Not a coincidence.  

4pXc9G6.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, morgo said:

The Oilers never made the Conference Finals in 2017, they won one series against a declining Sharks team.   And as for the Leafs, they still haven't won a series since 2004.   What we accomplished this year is far more impressive, especially since we weren't expected to go anywhere.

Fine, they lost game 7 in the conference semis.... they weren’t suppose to be there either.  You could argue we beat a declining St-Louis team.

All I’m saying what we did this year, in an unconventional season, means squat.  Next season will really tell if  it was a good run or a start of something.  The nhl changes so fast, no guarantee.

we don’t even know if Markstrom, Toffoli, Tanev are coming back and/or who will replace them yet.

12 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

We won 7 games but were still 9 wins away from the cup and each of those wins would have been harder than the one before. I think what happened was the worst case scenario, we came far enough to fool people into thinking we are on the right track and the changes that need to be made won’t happen, we are further away from a cup now than we ever have been this millennium. 

This is my opinion, am I dumb? Maybe, maybe not, but time will tell and for the love of god I hope I’m wrong.

This is a laughably negative take.  Most "experts" had us missing the playoffs or at best winning a single postseason game.  Our core isn't remotely close to reaching its prime and we were a powerplay goal away from the final four, gaining a ton of invaluable experience in the process.  How anyone could look at what we accomplished this season in negative light is beyond comprehension.

We're further away from a cup now than we were 2 seasons ago?  Are you drunk?

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Fine, they lost game 7 in the conference semis.... they weren’t suppose to be there either.  You could argue we beat a declining St-Louis team.

We beat the defending champs.  You don't go from winning the cup to jobber status in one season...

Edited by morgo
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Sneak attack, Canucks came out of nowhere and they're just getting started.

To win I think the team needs to have an all star game changer at Forward, D and Goal. The Canucks have that in Pettersson, Hughes and Markstrom. But the team also needs a great supporting cast. The Canucks have some players like Miller, Motte, Edler, Tanev, and Myers, but they need a little help, with Sutter, Eriksson and Roussel taking up roster spots. I'm unsure where Virtanen and Gaudette stand these days. They'll either be a big part of the Canucks future, or traded.

The young guys on the team, and up and coming high end prospects, the Canucks should be competitive for years, as long as Benning surrounds them with quality supporting players.

F - Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Lind, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Focht

D - Hughes, Juolevi, Rafferty, Rathbone, Woo

G - Demko, DiPietro

• Cheers 1

For the record, am quite proud that I converted a Flames fan and a TO fan over to our side when their guys bombed out.  I feel like I should charge an admission fee though?  Like you can't just waltz in here without a membership.

New fans over here...fill out this application.

giphy.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It is not even close, not until Petterson dominates the possession game.  Vegas and Blues has shown them that they have a long way to go.  Best chance would probably come when all of Benning prospects make the team.  I do not want to see any placeholder within 2-3 seasons.  I see a necessity of placeholder for next two seasons anyways. If all comes together in the playoff at a perfect time, no unfortunately injures at the same time then window will be wide open.

59 minutes ago, morgo said:

This is a laughably negative take.  Most "experts" had us missing the playoffs or at best winning a single postseason game.  Our core isn't remotely close to reaching it's prime and we were a powerplay goal away from the final four, gaining a ton of invaluable experience in the process.  How anyone could look at what we accomplished this season in negative light is beyond comprehension.

We beat the defending champs.  You don't go from winning the cup to jobber status in one season...

Lol San Jose went to the final the year before against Edmonton and were the heavy favorite in the finals until Pittsburgh surprised everyone.

You don’t go from a Stanley Cup finals to jobber either!

cant use arguments that’s fit your position and dismiss them when the same argument is used by other smh

29 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

It is not even close, not until Petterson dominates the possession game.  Vegas and Blues has shown them that they have a long way to go.  Best chance would probably come when all of Benning prospects make the team.  I do not want to see any placeholder within 2-3 seasons.  I see a necessity of placeholder for next two seasons anyways. If all comes together in the playoff at a perfect time, no unfortunately injures at the same time then window will be wide open.

Blues showed they couldn’t match our skill and we showed we could play with them.  Vegas was a completely different animal - even with the knowledge the team was playing a counter-attack rope a dope strategy it still looked way too lopsided for my comfort level.   Then again it almost worked thanks to Demko’s absolute heroics.   When they didn’t score when he was snow manning on his back, I started to believe devine intervention was at play. 

55 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Wrong.

"Not even close" means you've been swept in 4 games.  When you take teams to 7 it really doesn't matter how pretty it is/isn't...fact is, it was close.  Brock's goal could have been the difference in moving on.

All prospects "making" the team isn't an instant "add water and stir" deal.  Some take time to adjust and so we have to be realistic and not have expectations of them sliding in and just running with it.  So making the team is step one...then we have to allow for a bit of adjusting.  The instant gratification mindset sets things up to fail more than succeed in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Wrong.

"Not even close" means you've been swept in 4 games.  When you take teams to 7 it really doesn't matter how pretty it is/isn't...fact is, it was close.  Brock's goal could have been the difference in moving on.

All prospects "making" the team isn't an instant "add water and stir" deal.  Some take time to adjust and so we have to be realistic and not have expectations of them sliding in and just running with it.  So making the team is step one...then we have to allow for a bit of adjusting.  The instant gratification mindset sets things up to fail more than succeed in my opinion.

As much as we want to see them win the Cup badly at least once at our lifetime.  We need to look at a big picture, we are about to lose one of Tanev, Markstrom or Toffoli for the free agent.  Even if Brock wasn't robbed by that glove save and Vegas would eventually score at least one from that point to the end of the game, the Canucks wasn't going to score anyways given the way they played even with a lead.   They had opportunity with the major penalty to score at least one and failure to score was telling that we weren't going to beat Vegas.  3 shutouts in the series will not help the Canucks.  We need more than just top 6, it's bottom 6 and the defence inability to make a great first pass out of the pressure.  We lacked offensive pressure except whenever Hughes is on and even if he's on, Vegas targeted Hughes to the point where he is neutralized. He might produce points here and there but he wasn't a threat 3 of those games where they were shut out. 

Would another PMD make a difference? I would like to think that it could have been. Tanev, Edler, Stecher, Myers are good defencemen but they are not elite passer.   If they were elite, they wouldn't be hemmed in their zone so often and by the time they finally got out, they had to change and cycle repeats.  A great defence would counter to Vegas possession game to allow for a balanced possession game for both team, rather than one side tilted on one side.   Hughes were able to do that.  We had all top 6 in the play, by that theory, the ice shouldn't be that tilted that badly whenever they are on the ice.  We need more from backend.  

Hughes cannot be on the ice every time, one of the top two lines and Hughes would be on them once every 4 to 6 minutes and on the ice once every 3 minutes for a minute shift so therefore the top 6 would see Hughes on the ice once every 3 shifts. If I'm the coach, I would make some adjustment to the strategy where I want top 6 playing with Hughes every time so I would throw out 1st then checking line then 2nd line and Hughes on the shift every other shifts since he can play a high minutes.  I would shorten the defensive bench for some balanced attack.  That is why I think we need at least one more PMD then we might be able to see some balanced or even domination on the ice against the contenders.

3 hours ago, morgo said:

This is a laughably negative take.  Most "experts" had us missing the playoffs or at best winning a single postseason game.  Our core isn't remotely close to reaching its prime and we were a powerplay goal away from the final four, gaining a ton of invaluable experience in the process.  How anyone could look at what we accomplished this season in negative light is beyond comprehension.

We are teaching our young uns the same turn the other cheek attitude the Sedins team had and the more they learn it the more it will be instilled in them and that won’t win cups so yes, 2 years ago I was a lot more optimistic than I am today.

We beat Minny, a team lower than us in the standings.

Yeah we beat the Blues but they just didn’t want to be there, much like the Capitals, they were a shell of their former self and they’re Calder Cup runner up secret weapon imploded.

As for Vegas, we had maybe 2 good games, The last 2 game we were getting embarrassed and if it wasn’t for Demko it would have been way worse and showed just how far off we are from contending.

I think you fell for the old Leipsic on a pig deception. Am I drunk? I was when I posted that but irregardless, no matter how much you may disagree only time will tell which one of us is right.

Heres my prediction: Year we win cup = 2024 + (2 X number of years Green remains as our coach)

Edited by Dumb Nuck