Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Joel Edmundson‘s rights to Canadiens for 2020 5th-round pick

Edmundson was one of the UFA D-man I would like the Canucks to target. This doesn't mean Edmundson signs with Montreal, there are times when a team traded for a player's negotiating rights but didn't end up agreeing to a contract.

• Like 2

The Blues trading Edmunson for Faulk was a mistake. 1-1 it was a bad deal, but then they went ahead and gave up one of their best prospects (Bokk). 

Then, they signed Faulk ensuring that they wouldn't have the space to sign Pietrangelo. 

So basically they settled on giving up Edmunson, Pietrangelo, and a 19yr old first rounder for Justin Faulk. Woof. 

For the Canucks, the problem with both Edmunson and Dillon is that they are both left-handed shots. Stetcher and Tanev are rare R-handed shot defencemen. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Hydration 3

Darn, hopefully Edmundson wants to test FA...was really hoping we got get him to improve our D core! I would pass on Dillon, think his foot speed will become a major issue fairly quickly 

Only signing rights, so we'll see if he does sign. Basically only gives Montreal his exclusive negotiating rights until October 8th. I can see him signing there but I'm pretty confident he'll get more on the open market. Surprised the pick isn't conditional.

That said, he's from Manitoba and the Jets are in need of defensemen. I could see him signing with Winnipeg come October if he does sign with a Canadian hockey team.

13 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Damn he was one of my hopefuls. Hopefully he doesn’t sign. Just from watching the playoffs I feel like we need more weight being thrown from our backend! Joel Edmundson and Brenden Dillon are the 2 guys I’m hoping Benning is looking into.

Edler hughes benn Juolevi rafferty Tryamkin 

Dillon and Edmundson with Meyers and Rafferty as the only rhd...

15 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Edmundson was one of the UFA D-man I would like the Canucks to target. This doesn't mean Edmundson signs with Montreal, there are times when a team traded for a player's negotiating rights but didn't end up agreeing to a contract.

Hope he pulls a Hamhuis and signs here!

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Hoping he doesn't sign with the Habs.

Very underrated defenseman, and exactly the type of player the Canucks need.

• Hydration 1

21 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Only signing rights, so we'll see if he does sign. Basically only gives Montreal his exclusive negotiating rights until October 8th. I can see him signing there but I'm pretty confident he'll get more on the open market. Surprised the pick isn't conditional.

That said, he's from Manitoba and the Jets are in need of defensemen. I could see him signing with Winnipeg come October if he does sign with a Canadian hockey team.

Conditional picks upon re-signing are no longer allowed.

• Hydration 1

10 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Edler hughes benn Juolevi rafferty Tryamkin 

Dillon and Edmundson with Meyers and Rafferty as the only rhd...

Benn is a 7th and possibly a waiver guy. Tanev a RH dman is still a possibility for an extension. Sure it might seem like not enough RH dmen on the roster next season but there’s the season after that to tweak the roster. I just feel like the size and physical play that Edmundson and Dillon (one or both) would be fantastic adds to our very small playing team. Edler only has one more season under contract so even next offseason there’s some wiggle room to find another RH dman fit. 

• Hydration 1

Montreal has a lot of picks. It’s a good move spending a 5th to try to get Edmundson under contract 

that’ll be a solid top 6 D (not to mention huge top 4) 

Edited by qwijibo

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Damn he was one of my hopefuls. Hopefully he doesn’t sign. Just from watching the playoffs I feel like we need more weight being thrown from our backend! Joel Edmundson and Brenden Dillon are the 2 guys I’m hoping Benning is looking into.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Seems like teams are making moves pretty fast.

nice move by Bergevin... and I don't say that very often :lol: makes me wonder who might be out in MTL tho, this loads up the left side a little bit. 

3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

nice move by Bergevin... and I don't say that very often :lol: makes me wonder who might be out in MTL tho, this loads up the left side a little bit. 

My guess would be Mete is on his way out 

9 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Say what you want about Bergevin but even his "losses" have turned out pretty well.  Domi>Galchenyuk and Weber>Subban.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Say what you want about Bergevin but even his "losses" have turned out pretty well.  Domi>Galchenyuk and Weber>Subban.

I feel like he's managed to take a team that was competing at a high level and turned them into an annual lotto team. 

6 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I feel like he's managed to take a team that was competing at a high level and turned them into an annual lotto team. 

He knows how to make trades. He doesn’t necessarily know how to construct a roster 

• Hydration 2