The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Squamish Sea To Sky Gondola Cable Cut For Second Time

DonLever

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sea-to-sky-gondola-vandalism-2020-1.5723042

The cable of the Sea-to-Sky Gondola near Squamish, B.C., has been deliberately cut in the middle of the night for the second year in a row, leaving the tourist attraction in shambles and its staff completely bewildered.

The thick, downhill cable of the gondola was severed overnight, sending dozens of cars crashing into the mountain around 4 a.m. PT.

General manager Kirby Brown said his phone started ringing off the hook with the news before dawn.

"This event mirrors last year's event in a very eerie fashion ... We're all stunned and shocked," he said.

"To me, this is somebody sabotaging our business."

Depending on where the line snapped, the metal cabins could have fallen up to 300 metres before slamming into the mountainside.

Brown said crews haven't been able to fully assess the damage because smoke from U.S. wildfires means helicopters cannot fly. Only six of the 39 cars were safely in the stations at either end of the gondola overnight, so Brown expects the rest will be lost.

The same thing happened on Aug. 10, 2019 — so recently, Brown said, the insurance claim hasn't been fully processed yet. Almost 30 gondola cars were ruined then, causing between $5 million and $10 million in damage.

The company beefed up its surveillance systems after the 2019 incident, Brown said, adding more cameras along the line and an automatic motion-detection security system that is monitored 24/7 by a third party. 

He said the person who cut the cable Sunday triggered the automatic alarm system at around 4 a.m. PT. The RCMP were instantly called.

"I've seen with my own eyes this morning exactly what happened," said Brown, who has access to the security footage. 

What a bunch of idiots running this company.   A simple solution is to hire a full time on site security guard instead of the "State of the Art Surveillance System".   It is like a home alarm system, by the time cops come the crooks are long gone.

They spend millions to repair the cable last time and can't afford to hire a full time security guard who are usually paid low wages?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DonLever said:

What a bunch of idiots running this company.   A simple solution is to hire a full time on site security guard instead of the "State of the Art Surveillance System".   It is like a home alarm system, by the time cops come the crooks are long gone.

They spend millions to repair the cable last time and can't afford to hire a full time security guard who are usually paid low wages?

I don't think its fair to blame the owners for the actions of some angry psycho. 

I don't know if you've actually been to this, but its quite a large gondola system with a lot of elevation. Not sure how a single guard would be able to get to any particular part of this in time to do anything. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, DonLever said:

So hire one Guard for each tower?

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DonLever said:

I think you're vastly overestimating the effectiveness of security guards. They apparently had cameras added, so hopefully they caught something. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Hard_As_Ice said:

There is security, at the top and at the bottom.

this guy doing this is clearly a local. There's so many paths all over the base of the Chief  and underneath the gondola system it would be very easy to go in and out unnoticed, particularly at night. So you'd never stop them from accessing it that way. You could add extra security features to each tower, but you need access for maintenance so the psycho could easily cut through any of that or just climb over it.

This is some really angry person, maybe has some link to the owners or is some kind of local enviro-nazi who knows exactly what they're doing. 

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

Would need a hell of a lot more than 2-3 guards to stop this if someone was dedicated to pulling it off. Plus i think they do have regular patrols. There are several towers you can access to cut the cable depending how much you want to hike up. It is an open trail network after all...   

I can't believe it happened again....this is just so Squamish....

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Hard_As_Ice said:

I'm surprised there isn't a brake system on the cable on some towers to prevent the cars from crashing down.

There isn't that on any gondola system I have ever seen. The Peak to Peak has a safety cable but it's on another scale altogether from most gondolas.