The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] PWF Josh Anderson future in CBJ very uncertain

Ilya Mikheyev

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

no - I'm just being cheeky.

I don't mind the way Green utilizes Virtanen - at all.  I like that he moves him up and down the lineup - gives him some carrots in the top 6, puts him on the wing with Sutter in harder minutes, and some 2nd pp unit time.  I'm not concerned about getting him fixed in the top 6 - I think he can be just as valuable in a dual role, particularly if he gets better at both ends of the ice.

I don't see it as Green holding him back - I see it as a slow forge - and I also consider Virtanen to be young-minded - so I think there is sense in not moving him up the lineup too consistently, too early.  I think Virtanen needs to be kept appraised of the need to work consistently.

I view Jake as more a 3 year vet going into his 4th season. Jake's first 2 seasons were a disaster. He spends the better part of year 2 in Utica with Green as coach. Comes back to Van, with Green, and starts relearning the NHL. In the past 3 seasons he has shown grown in his play and in his scoring stats. Is it enough? Players and their potential are always being evaluated by management. I trust that JB and Green have a solid idea of Jake's value. 

• Cheers 3

13 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Wasn't he the player the CBJ gave a 1st and 2nd round pick to Vegas so they would pick Karlsson instead of him?

If so ouch and quite a fail on the part of the Blue Jackets 

partly true - but those picks were also included in order to dump Clarkson into that deal.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

A hard boot up his arse might be the best thing for him to be honest. 

not sure I agree with that.

I like the fact that Green leaves a measure of it up to Virtanen - to grow up.  And Virtanen appears to really respect him - and respond.  Maybe there are setbacks - I mean, come on - realistically, he's a 24 year old.   In the end, you want the player being/learning to be self-motivated, not needing to be policed/ballbusted - which can go sideways in so many ways.

What makes me optimistic are Virtanen's interviews - Green has clearly managed to instill some humility, realism, and general acceptance of his role at this stage of his development.

• Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, oldnews said:

not sure I agree with that.

I like the fact that Green leaves a measure of it up to Virtanen - to grow up.  And Virtanen appears to really respect him - and respond.  Maybe there are setbacks - I mean, come on - realistically, he's a 24 year old.   In the end, you want the player being/learning to be self-motivated, not needing to be policed/ballbusted - which can go sideways in so many ways.

What makes me optimistic are Virtanen's interviews - Green has clearly managed to instill some humility, realism, and general acceptance of his role at this stage of his development.

Yeah, I was in no way suggesting I didn't think Green has done a good job or hasn't utilized him well.

Jake may simply be a guy who responds better to the 'stick' to get him to the next level. And we all know Torts has a lot of 'stick' in him :lol:

...Or he may not was well. 

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I was in no way suggesting I didn't think Green has done a good job or hasn't utilized him well.

Jake may simply be a guy who responds better to the 'stick' to get him to the next level. And we all know Torts has a lot of 'stick' in him :lol:

...Or he may not was well. 

I don't know - but the stick can also break people like Virtanen, as opposed to 'build him up'.     I'm not going to pretend I'm not a big fan of Green - I think he's an outstanding coach on a whole lot of levels - so perhaps I'm 'biased' - but I think he's struck a very good balance with Virtanen - realistic, some tough love, some real 'identification' - where Jake understands Green's own story and that the approach is not patronizing but one that Green himself needed.....I would stick with that relationship personally - and if there is a 'stick' to be used, perhaps the suggestion/implication that he might be moved might be effective in itself, particularly if that is a relationship Virtanen does not want to have to part with.  I have no problem with Benning's comments - they are measured and realistic, positive and critical - I'm just not assuming that they have decided, or are even leanning towards, moving Virtanen.   I'd probably do the exact same thing - I'd leave the question mark out there in spite of not really intending to move him - hold my cards close as they say - but at the same time, if the public suggestion leads to an inquiry/offer that is attractive.... (ie I would have to seriously consider a deal for a player like Josh Anderson that returns similar attributes/needs that the team has).

• Cheers 3

14. Josh Anderson, Columbus Blue Jackets: Anderson has been on this list before and teams love what he brings to the table. But at this point, an extension in Columbus remains a possibility. One NHL source described contract talks between Anderson and the Blue Jackets as “fruitful” for the restricted free agent. One executive expressed concerns about what a trade for Anderson, who played just 26 games last season, might cost both in assets and in a long-term contract. “If he’s healthy, he’s a beast,” he said. “The problem is, if they want a big asset, you can’t do that. You can’t give a first-rounder for one year of a guy and then try to get him signed before UFA. (Agent Darren Ferris) is going to ask for seven times six and he had one &^@#ing goal last year.”

- Craig Custance

On 9/18/2020 at 6:33 AM, Teemu Selänne said:

Where does Custance get this 'information'?

“The problem is, if they want a big asset, you can’t do that. You can’t give a first-rounder for one year of a guy and then try to get him signed before UFA. (Agent Darren Ferris) is going to ask for seven times six and he had one &^@#ing goal last year.”

He - Custance - sounds like a drama queen here.

Anderson has 65 career NHL goals, 115 pts, in 267 career games - one season of more than 30 pts.....coming off a year he played 26 games (with 4 pts)...

And we're supposed to buy this dramatic story about his agent asking for $7 million x 6 years?

Edited by oldnews

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Where does Custance get this 'information'?

He - Custance - sounds like a drama queen here.

Anderson has 65 career NHL goals, 115 pts, in 267 career games - one season of more than 30 pts.....

And we're supposed to buy this dramatic story about his agent asking for $7 million x 6 years?

He cites 'an executive.' I'm not sure, but he's the EIC of the Athletic so I assume it was worth publishing.

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

He cites 'an executive.' I'm not sure, but he's the EIC of the Athletic so I assume it was worth publishing.

No wonder the "Athletic" is not worth the subscription.  This guy is their "Editor in Chief" for the NHL-US?  Sounds as bad as the Vancouver incarnation(s).

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Oh is he problematic?

I'm just reading this storyline - complete with acronym expletives - in which Anderson's agent - allegedly - asks for 7 x 6 - and finding it utterly absurd.

Re-reading it - it's allegedly the comments of an  'executive' - so apparently the 'source' is the dramatic one - but it's an anonymous, alleged source - and the claim sounds downright looney to me.  I don't know the agent, perhaps he has a reputation for absurd demands - but none of it adds up imo.   I guess it might get some attention though, so perhaps this guy is a 'good' journalist (in the sense that attention is capital).

As for the 'executive' - if you're tying to scare off other suitors and reduce demand, perhaps there is some 'sense/strategy' in it - otherwise, it doesn't add up.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

It is a big risk for a team to give up something decent for JA, I would think a swap for Jake would be pretty fair at this point, still leaving the Canucks with more risk with JA coming off injury.

I would be willing to add the Jake to get JA in form or a prospect lhd D or something.

A Jenner AND Anderson acquisition would be awesome tho, maybe for Pearson, Virtanen plus something else

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm just reading this storyline - complete with acronym expletives - in which Anderson's agent - allegedly - asks for 7 x 6 - and finding it utterly absurd.

Re-reading it - it's allegedly the comments of an  'executive' - so apparently the 'source' is the dramatic one - but it's an anonymous, alleged source - and the claim sounds downright looney to me.  I don't know the agent, perhaps he has a reputation for absurd demands - but none of it adds up imo.   I guess it might get some attention though, so perhaps this guy is a 'good' journalist (in the sense that attention is capital).

Maybe - but to me it just sounds like an off-the-cuff remark from a hockey exec. about the agent who led the Marner negotiations.

• Thanks 1

This guy can hang with literally ANYONE in the league and is coming off a 27 goal season before his injury this past year that limited him to 26 games. 

INSANE potential to be a dominate PF as he comes into his prime years. If there was ever a player Vancouver needed in their top 6, it's him. 

• Like 1