Canucks Community

[Discussion] Rick Bowness has "earned" the right to return as coach

Rate this topic

-DLC-

Just now, timberz21 said:

Hi !

Washington Capitals: When Barry Trotz left the team

Way different situation.

Trotz had been in Washington for years, his contract was expiring, and there were lots of reports of bad blood between him and ownership/management.

Literally none of that applies to Bowness, except for the expiring contract.

9 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Way different situation.

Trotz had been in Washington for years, his contract was expiring, and there were lots of reports of bad blood between him and ownership/management.

Literally none of that applies to Bowness, except for the expiring contract.

Not arguing that...just telling you, it can happen :P

• Upvote 1

Rick Bowness deserves it. Give him a contract. If Geoff Ward can keep his coaching gig, surely Rick Bowness deserves to keep his job.

If not, I'm sure Rick Bowness will get a head coaching job this offseason. There's a few jobs that are available and I'm sure he'll become the top candidate for them if the Stars don't retain him for some bizarre reason.

My expectation is that he gets an extension regardless of the result after the playoffs are done.

I am a big fan of Bowness

Here is a great write up about him

Bowness, a hockey lifer who played for the Atlanta Flames in 1975-76, is in his 31st season as a NHL coach. In 2017, he worked his 2,165th game, breaking the legendary Scotty Bowman’s all-time mark for most games behind a NHL bench as either a head coach, associate or assistant.

Unless he has missed one or two since, by our calculations Bowness has now coached 2,425 games. The record seems as untouchable as Wayne Gretzky’s 2,857 points — which is 936 more Jaromir Jagr compiled as No. 2 on the list — especially when Bowness looks like he could go for another 10 years.

Just how incredulous his run to date has been was understated by our friend Stephen Whyno, the Associated Press hockey writer, who also happens to be the fastest transcriber of taped interviews you will ever find: Of the 24 teams that qualified for the post-pandemic play-ins and play-offs, Bowness has coached 65 players, at least one on 18 of the teams, plus two other head coaches, three GMs and seven players’ dads.

Also somewhat incredible is that Bowness has only made it to the finals twice: As Alain Vigneault’s associate with the Vancouver 

Canucks, who dropped Game 7 to the Boston Bruins in 2011, and as Cooper’s right-hand man when they lost to the Chicago

Blackhawks in six games.

“The two biggest disappointments of my life, by far,” Bowness told NHL.com three years ago. “They still eat away at me.”

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cracks-of-don-jump-on-the-bowness-bandwagon-he-deserves-your-support/wcm/62ffaa34-911b-40cd-a055-a6f100787806/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Maginator said:

You cant not sign a coach that takes you to the SCF. He'll be there next year.

True, though this was made during the conference finals against Vegas (if not this tweet, there was a report).

19 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Nice to see Canucks alumni do well. I like him a lot more than that arrogant Cooper dweeb. 

Me too.  But I'll still cheer for the Bolts over Stars.  Some silver lining I guess if Dallas comes out on top though, especially since he was Cooper's assistant in an SCF losing cause.

• 3 weeks later...