Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Rumour] Braden Holtby to test free agency

Recommended Posts

Fell of the beaten path. Can’t see anyone really spending huge money on this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I wonder how close he gets to Bobrovski bucks? 

Probably nowhere near haha. Holtby's numbers haven't been very good and although he has a cup, he isn't really anything more than an average goalie.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He will end up in Edmonton or Calgary making $5 - $5.5M..........effectively a pay cut from his expiring contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another player that is appreciated by his franchise and the management is choosing not to be the one that breaks it to him how little money he will get this year. 

 

I expect a lot of players to be told to explore the free agent market.  Why be the bad guy that tells your own player how bad his next contract will be compared to what he was expecting.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is coming off a 3.11 gaa and 0.897 sv%.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mll said:

He is coming off a 3.11 gaa and 0.897 sv%.  

that and basically the capitals gave up on the season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty awful #s last year, but decent pedigree.

 

Wonder if we might see a Holtby-Trotz reunion (as well Holtby-Varlamov) with Greiss possibly hitting the FA market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, c00kies said:

Probably nowhere near haha. Holtby's numbers haven't been very good and although he has a cup, he isn't really anything more than an average goalie.

there's always a GM out there willing to overpay for a guy thats won the cup. I think he'll get a raise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mediocre numbers the past three seasons. Outplayed by good backups in Samsonov and Grubauer and only managed to marginally edge Copley statistically who isn't even a legit starter in the AHL. 

He is only worth 1.5-2 million but might get 4-5 based on his pedigree. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

there's always a GM out there willing to overpay for a guy thats won the cup. I think he'll get a raise. 

If Crawford, Greiss, Khudobin, Markstrom, Lehner, Talbot, and possibly Lundqvist (plus Murray and MAF likely being traded) all make it onto the market Holtby may have chosen a bad year to have terrible #s and become a UFA.

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

I wonder how close he gets to Bobrovski bucks? 

Not even close, not this year, the money isn't there with flat cap for the next couple of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

If Crawford, Greiss, Khudobin, Markstrom, Lehner, Talbot, and possibly Lundqvist (plus Murray and MAF likely being traded) all make it onto the market Holtby may have chosen a bad year to have terrible #s and become a UFA.

true, but how often have we seen guys come off the board before free agency? he may re-up with WSH as well depending on the offers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

true, but how often have we seen guys come off the board before free agency? he may re-up with WSH as well depending on the offers. 

Yea for sure. I don't think he's getting a raise on a 6.1M cap hit tho; at the very most I could see a match of his real dollars salary 5M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Pretty awful #s last year, but decent pedigree.

 

Wonder if we might see a Holtby-Trotz reunion (as well Holtby-Varlamov) with Greiss possibly hitting the FA market.

They have Sorokin coming in next year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, c00kies said:

Probably nowhere near haha. Holtby's numbers haven't been very good and although he has a cup, he isn't really anything more than an average goalie.

Holtby’s numbers WERE very good.  He nabbed a Vezina not too long ago right? Bad year considering he’s a UFA.   He’s a great target for any team looking to upgrade their goaltending at a low market value.    His stock is lower then it should be.    Goaltending is a fickle position which is why both Price and Bob have huge deals.    Anyone who thinks JM will be the same goalie for five years needs to look at the macro view.   Look at Khudobin and his age.   Look at any goalie since Luongo’s mid - thirties.   Broduer was the last one really that provided year to year consistently above average to great play.    Holtby will find a home and it could really work out.  Or maybe not at all.  But he did do it ... didn’t he tie Luongo’s best season? Or Broduers record?   He shouldn’t be more then an average goalie - and I doubt he is, but you never know with this position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Mediocre numbers the past three seasons. Outplayed by good backups in Samsonov and Grubauer and only managed to marginally edge Copley statistically who isn't even a legit starter in the AHL. 

He is only worth 1.5-2 million but might get 4-5 based on his pedigree. 

He’s worth 4-5 based on his numbers but might get 3-4 is more like it.  Have to include his .922 16 win playoffs three years ago too.   And WSH isn’t known for their defense especially since Trotz left.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Meh. Next Jimmy Howard/Corey Crawford. Decent goalie with his best days early in his career.

Crawford’s last three years stats add up to Markstrom’s fairly well and he’s 35.   Playing for a CHI team that’s not much different then we were after the Sedin team unravelled.   Only slight on him is health.  What would you rather have - JM at 6 x 4 or 5.5 x 5 with some clauses or Crawford at 2.5-3 for two years playing 35-ish games?  I know which side I’m leaning towards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.