The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Let Markstrom walk - sign Pietrangelo (proposal)

EP40.

1) sign Pietrangelo 7x$8M

2) sign Greiss 3x$2.5M for 1A/1B duo and as goalie to expose to Seattle
3) re-sign Toffoli 5x$5M

4) re-sign Tanev 3x$4.5M
5) trade Virtanen+Chatfield+2021 3rd to Sens for offloading Eriksson

6) maybe bring back a familiar face like Richardson in FA as depth if needed for cheap

Solid all around lineup & lots of youth in the system ready to make the jump in the coming years and/or for injury insurance.

Miller • PeteyBoeser

PearsonBoToffoli

RousselSutter • Leivo

MotteBeagleRichardson

Gaudette (MacEwen/Lind/Gadjovich/Jasek/Lockwood/Hoglander)

EdlerPietrangelo
Hughes • Tanev

Benn • Myers

Stecher, Fantanberg (Rafferty/Juolevi/Rathbone/Brisebois/Woo)

Greiss • Demko

Domingue (DiPietro)

...bring on the Cup run(s) ! :towel:

• Wat 2

7 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Pretty sure Pietrangelo is looking for Doughty money.  Won't get it, but I don't see how he signs under 9M$, it'll probably end up closer to 10M$

Tru, may have to up to $9m but he won’t get $10M strictly because of the timing he’s a UFA with covid/the flat cap.

Teams can’t afford to pay that much this off season being tight on cap as is.

Edited by EP40.
  • Vintage 1

Just adding to the above post:

Would letting Tanev + Marky walk be worth it?  Im thinking maybe.  You get a 50 point d man that has size and is solid all around.  He would instantly become one of the best D men this franchise has ever had.  Pietro + Hughes would make up a stud 2/4 top 4 d and would change the complexion of the team.  You wouldnt need marky to stand on his head because your Defence and transition game just improved drastically - hence you can go with Demko....

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

Just adding to the above post:

Would letting Tanev + Marky walk be worth it?  Im thinking maybe.  You get a 50 point d man that has size and is solid all around.  He would instantly become one of the best D men this franchise has ever had.  Pietro + Hughes would make up a stud 2/4 top 4 d and would change the complexion of the team.  You wouldnt need marky to stand on his head because your Defence and transition game just improved drastically - hence you can go with Demko....

it might, that right side is excellent. But there's every indication that he wants to stay in St Louis. The holdup isn't him, its who they have to move in order to sign him. 

1) Pietrangelo is likely getting more than $8m/season

2) Greiss is coming off a 3 year $10m ($3.34m AAV) deal that he totally out performed.  He’s not going to sign for $2.5m AAV

3)seems about right. Maybe slightly low. 

4) If Tanev gets the same percentage of the cap as his last contract he’ll come in at $5.25m.  I don’t see him signing for less

5)Ottawa won’t have any issue hitting the cap floor. A bunch of spare parts isn’t going to be enough to convince them to take Eriksson 

55 minutes ago, EP40. said:

Tru, may have to up to $9m but he won’t get $10M strictly because of the timing he’s a UFA with covid/the flat cap.

Teams can’t afford to pay that much this off season being tight on cap as is.

Brodin just got 6m and a F-NMC, Pietrangelo is going to get the money he wants.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Pretty sure Pietrangelo is looking for Doughty money.  Won't get it, but I don't see how he signs under 9M$, it'll probably end up closer to 10M$

He might be, or he might consider ONLY taking $8 to play on the up and coming team that knocked him out of the playoffs. Toffoli knows what's up with this team, maybe Pietrangelo does too? I actually like the proposal. 

• Huggy Bear 1

32 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

1) Pietrangelo is likely getting more than $8m/season

2) Greiss is coming off a 3 year $10m ($3.34m AAV) deal that he totally out performed.  He’s not going to sign for $2.5m AAV

3)seems about right. Maybe slightly low. 

4) If Tanev gets the same percentage of the cap as his last contract he’ll come in at $5.25m.  I don’t see him signing for less

5)Ottawa won’t have any issue hitting the cap floor. A bunch of spare parts isn’t going to be enough to convince them to take Eriksson 

Sure, don’t mind giving him $9m. Brodin has already showed the market is down signing for less than he otherwise would have.

Greiss is 34 and doesn’t play a starters workload. Not to mention the goalie market is a surplus especially for aging, non sure fire starters. Greiss would be lucky to get offered a contract like that at this point in his career.

Tanev won’t sign for $5.25M if he wants to stay in Vancouver. And he wants to stay in Vancouver. So maybe in the open market he’d get that.

Eriksson is owed $5M in real dollars over the next 2 years which is relatively cheap and would help them reach the floor. $2.5M per year payday for a $6M per cap hit would be very cost effective for them. They’ve done worse deals and Virtanen fits the direction their going being a young 20 goal scorer with RFA control. 

2 hours ago, EP40. said:

3) re-sign Toffoli 5x$5M

4) re-sign Tanev 3x$4.5M

6) maybe bring back a familiar face like Richardson in FA as depth if needed for cheap

Solid all around lineup & lots of youth in the system ready to make the jump in the coming years and/or for injury insurance.

Miller • PeteyBoeser

PearsonBoToffoli

RousselSutter • Leivo

MotteBeagleRichardson

Gaudette (MacEwen/Lind/Gadjovich/Jasek/Lockwood/Hoglander)

EdlerPietrangelo
Hughes • Tanev

Benn • Myers

Stecher, Fantanberg (Rafferty/Juolevi/Rathbone/Brisebois/Woo)

Greiss • Demko

Domingue (DiPietro)

...bring on the Cup run(s) ! :towel:

Nice thoughts but I think Pietrangelo wants to stay put in St. Louis and is even willing to take a slight discount.

Drew Doughty money is the only thing that *might* catch AP’s attention and offering AP Doughty is not something that we can afford cap wise.

If the Canucks get a new RD in this off season, it will likely be Dumba or Barrie.

Disagree - don't want 34-37 year old Petro making 8 mill... would rather spend the money elsewhere tbh

good offer - I'd be ok with this should marky walk
3) re-sign Toffoli 5x$5M

Good

4) re-sign Tanev 3x$4.5M

Good

The idea of Loui to OTT is great... who knows what the package will be but we'll have to see Loui's 15 team list.

From what I heard he was deep in the nose beers with Kassian from his time here - no thanks to toxic off ice guys around our young core.

Ideally I hope we can sign Marky and trade one of him or Demmer at the TDL next year... better than letting him walk but we'll see!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

There will be a few UFA's who still get solid contracts, Pietrangelo might be one of those, but I think we're going to see a record number of RFA's and UFA's, signing short term, 2 - 3 year deals, at lower money. There will be a lot of punting, hoping that in 2 - 3 years, the league revenue will have returned to normal and they will be able to grab larger deals again.

If you don't believe that, you're not reading what's being said by pretty much every GM in the NHL right now. There will be a much larger percentage of teams, who set internal caps until they are able to put fans back in the stands, which really could be as long as 2 years.

1 minute ago, apollo said:

The idea of Loui to OTT is great... who knows what the package will be but we'll have to see Loui's 15 team list.

Ideally I hope we can sign Marky and trade one of him or Demmer at the TDL next year... better than letting him walk but we'll see!

I would be telling Loui, to make sure that his list of 15 teams, includes ANY team that is vaguely willing to accept his contract.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

This is why I propose we go after/sign Pietrangelo.

Letting Marky walk in order to sign him is essentially the trade.

10 minutes ago, apollo said:

Actually with the new covid and static cap Eriksson's contract will have value after next year.

The cap hit after paying out the signing bonus becomes very easy and lucrative if the Canucks retain 1/2 salary. Some teams will be very short of cash so they might give up a higher draft pick or better prospect to get the 6 mil cap hit. And Eriksson will still be a decent defensive player, a useful 4th liner or PK guy.

Trade him at the end of next season and get something in return rather than giving up more to move him and have the other team reap extra rewards.

The contract sucks.

I guess when it comes down it, would we rather have Markstrom/Tanev, Tanev/Toffoli or Toffoli/Pietrangelo? In the long run I’d go with Pietrangelo and Toffoli, since first and foremost they make us better right now, and with Demko emerging like he did losing Marky wouldn’t hurt as much as it would otherwise. Those two would also fill our needs of a true top RD for Hughes and one who solidifies our top six forwards. 

Edited by Pears
  • Cheers 1