Sign in to follow this  
EP40.

[Proposal] Let Markstrom walk - sign Pietrangelo (proposal)

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would be telling Loui, to make sure that his list of 15 teams, includes ANY team that is vaguely willing to accept his contract.

Loui might actually be easier to move to Ottawa than anyone thinks.

#1. Ottawa has been trying to run really cheap on the team and even though they have a lot of young talent, they aren't ready to compete and they need to full up their negative space. They are currently sitting 18 million below the cap floor.

#2. Loui only has 5 million left owing on a contract that eats 6 million per season of cap space, Even if they had to put him in the AHL, it still eats up a LOT of that negative space.

#3. They need to fill roster with guys who can also show the way on the defensive side of the game, and Loui isn't bad there.

Offer to Ottawa:

Eriksson

Virtanen

2021 3rd round pick

To Vancouver:

2020 2nd round pick

Frees up 7 million in Cap space, resign Toffoli and let our other prospects compete for who fills Jake's spot on the roster.

The one thing I will say is to not make the same mistake as TO did when they signed Tavares.  If you look at TO, if they didn't sign UFA Tavares, then TO would have progressed with the rebuild properly and wouldn't be in cap hell.

Look at Canucks cap and upcoming $$ re-signings.

We have ...

EP40 - projected to be $8M on long term contract

Huggy - projected to be $7M on long term contract

Myers - $ 6M (expires in 4 years)

Boeser - $5.875M (expires in 2 years)

Horvat - $5.5M (expires in 3 years)

Miller - $5.25M (expires in 3 years)

• Upvote 1

better Cup chances with Fantenburg as 3LHD - or Juolevi - than Benn.:P

did you calculate the cap hit for your lineup?

personally I wouldn't be moving Virtanen - I'd look to move veteran wingers instead - while keeping the Cs, adding the Richardson signing is solid, as is retaining Leivo.

For me the cap moveables/replaceables would include Roussel, Pearson / with assets to dump LE.

3 hours ago, EP40. said:

Tru, may have to up to $9m but he won’t get $10M strictly because of the timing he’s a UFA with covid/the flat cap.

Teams can’t afford to pay that much this off season being tight on cap as is.

When push comes to shove, St-Louis will either have to let him walk or pay him and trade another asset (below FMV) to make room for him, they will choose the latter.

Same thing if Pietrangelo hit the market....you have a chance to grab a guy like Pietrangelo for free or just pass so you can pay some of your RFAs?....Teams will go hard at that opportunity.    Only way I see him signing for close to 9M$, is if he's stays in STL and get that 8th year.   IMO if he hits the Market he get minimum 70M$ for 7 years.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

He might be, or he might consider ONLY taking $8 to play on the up and coming team that knocked him out of the playoffs. Toffoli knows what's up with this team, maybe Pietrangelo does too? I actually like the proposal. 

We can't even get a hometown discount for our local boys, and you think Pietrangelo will sign here for cheap?

Remove your pink colored glasses, it aint happening...there are plenty of "up-and-coming" teams every year...in the end money talks.  UFA choose the biggest offer or close (unless it's a really crappy environment), most of the time.  He'll get multiples 10M$ range offers.

28 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

When push comes to shove, St-Louis will either have to let him walk or pay him and trade another asset (below FMV) to make room for him, they will choose the latter.

Same thing if Pietrangelo hit the market....you have a chance to grab a guy like Pietrangelo for free or just pass so you can pay some of your RFAs?....Teams will go hard at that opportunity.    Only way I see him signing for close to 9M$, is if he's stays in STL and get that 8th year.   IMO if he hits the Market he get minimum 70M$ for 7 years.

I see where you’re coming from but disagree.

If St. Louis let’s him walk to FA, it’s not because they don’t want to pay him - it’s because they can’t afford to under the current salary. COVID/flat cap has made if difficult for all teams to manage their financial situation while retaining certain players heading into the next couple seasons. All teams expected a cap increase and use it part of their planning. Now that it’s gone, teams across the board will face this problem - some to a bigger extent than others but no doubt a problem nonetheless.

example: Canucks realistically can’t afford to pay Marky more than $5.75M but if he walks, he may get $6M-$7M in the open market. St. Louis on the other hand currently only have $5M in cap space. They’re royally screwed cap wise and have to sign a dman to dress just 6. As it stands, they’re in tough to pay Pietrangelo even something like $7M when he should be getting $8M min. That’s a $1M to start whereas the Canucks and Marky are off by a couple hundred thousand / so you can clearly see what I meant by some teams have cap problems to a bigger extent than others.

And in Pietrangelo’s case, he can realistically command around $8M-$9M in this current flat cap environment because like the Blues, all teams are strapped on funds available to splash. This is why I don’t see him getting the $10M he would’ve otherwise got in a normal roll over season with cap incrementally increasing. Look at Brodin, he settled for $6M which is a bargain. Should have signed for $7M+ if it weren’t for the current financial climate across the league.

Just my $0.02 :]

11 minutes ago, EP40. said:

I see where you’re coming from but disagree.

If St. Louis let’s him walk to FA, it’s not because they don’t want to pay him - it’s because they can’t afford to under the current salary. COVID/flat cap has made if difficult for all teams to manage their financial situation while retaining certain players heading into the next couple seasons. All teams expected a cap increase and use it part of their planning. Now that it’s gone, teams across the board will face this problem - some to a bigger extent than others but no doubt a problem nonetheless.

example: Canucks realistically can’t afford to pay Marky more than $5.75M but if he walks, he may get $6M-$7M in the open market. St. Louis on the other hand currently only have $5M in cap space. They’re royally screwed cap wise and have to sign a dman to dress just 6. As it stands, they’re in tough to pay Pietrangelo even something like $7M when he should be getting $8M min. That’s a $1M to start whereas the Canucks and Marky are off by a couple hundred thousand / so you can clearly see what I meant by some teams have cap problems to a bigger extent than others.

And in Pietrangelo’s case, he can realistically command around $8M-$9M in this current flat cap environment because like the Blues, all teams are strapped on funds available to splash. This is why I don’t see him getting the $10M he would’ve otherwise got in a normal roll over season with cap incrementally increasing. Look at Brodin, he settled for $6M which is a bargain. Should have signed for $7M+ if it weren’t for the current financial climate across the league.

Just my $0.02 :]

IMO 6M$ for 27 years old with a 0.26 career PPG is not a bargain...

and you think a 0.60 career PPG, Stanley Cup winner and Captain of his team will settle for 8M$ ?  I don't think so,

I guess we'll know soon enough who's right.

I might be way out to lunch but I don’t want Pietrangelo on any deal that is remotely close to happening. Sure if he signs a 3 year reasonable cap hit we jump...but why would he do that?  This is where he gets paid. The flat cap may limit his choices but someone is going to give him big dollars and term or at least big dollars. We need to build a team, not blow the farm on an aging D man. I think this team can do most of what it needs by committee and could upgrade a couple positions in smaller increments that won’t need 7 year contracts. We need stay through Covid, keep our current young core happy and paid and see where the dust settles. I would like to see which goalie gives us the best ROI. (Will anyone truly overpay is for Demko?) If it’s Demko trade him and take the spoils. If no one will over pay, see what Marky wants to re-sign. If it’s low enough keep him, if it’s not let him go and improve the D with the extra money. The next couple years the best team is going to be the one playing money all, not necessarily the team with the best top line. 

I am very hesitant on adding a 30 year old on a 7 year deal for north of 8mil. You're potentially looking at roughly 3-4 years of that deal for a deteriorated version of what we see now. Players are wild cards in their mid 30s. Myers deal at 6x6 is pretty scary ngl. Adding a bigger one? I dunno if we should risk it tbh. Just keep Tanev until hopefully Woo comes along.

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

IMO 6M$ for 27 years old with a 0.26 career PPG is not a bargain...

and you think a 0.60 career PPG, Stanley Cup winner and Captain of his team will settle for 8M$ ?  I don't think so,

I guess we'll know soon enough who's right.

Brodin is an elite defensive dman, he allows many of the Wild dmen to roam in the offensive zone. Think Tanev but twice the player.

And as I said, Pietrangelo a FA at the wrong time. Time will tell us but I find it hard to believe he gets $10M in this climate. Brodin went from ~$7.5M -> $6M. My bet is Pietrangelo goes from $10M -> ~$8.5Mish...and again, it’s unfortunate for the player (especially higher end ones) because teams just don’t have enough top dollars to give around this off season. Just like how Marky was penciled in to make $7M+ mill and now he’ll be fortunate if a team offers him $6.5M. I guess he’s lucky he wouldn’t be worth more because that’d equal those many more dollars lost / not being a high end enough of a price tag.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Loui might actually be easier to move to Ottawa than anyone thinks.

#1. Ottawa has been trying to run really cheap on the team and even though they have a lot of young talent, they aren't ready to compete and they need to full up their negative space. They are currently sitting 18 million below the cap floor.

#2. Loui only has 5 million left owing on a contract that eats 6 million per season of cap space, Even if they had to put him in the AHL, it still eats up a LOT of that negative space.

#3. They need to fill roster with guys who can also show the way on the defensive side of the game, and Loui isn't bad there.

Offer to Ottawa:

Eriksson

Virtanen

2021 3rd round pick

To Vancouver:

2020 2nd round pick

Frees up 7 million in Cap space, resign Toffoli and let our other prospects compete for who fills Jake's spot on the roster.

Ottawa is at 40 million with 10 players signed.  They only need to get to 60 to meet the floor, certainly not an issue at all.  There is not a single team in the NHL that will have a challenge making the floor next year. 

Moving Loui will cost at least 1 of Podkolzin, Demko, 2021 1st, Hoglander.  2/3rds of the league needs to dump cap, and only 4 or 5 teams can take any on.  It will cost a ton to move LE.  We have far better options to make our cap work.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Ottawa is at 40 million with 10 players signed.  They only need to get to 60 to meet the floor, certainly not an issue at all.  There is not a single team in the NHL that will have a challenge making the floor next year. 

Moving Loui will cost at least 1 of Podkolzin, Demko, 2021 1st, Hoglander.  2/3rds of the league needs to dump cap, and only 4 or 5 teams can take any on.  It will cost a ton to move LE.  We have far better options to make our cap work.

You are correct with how much they have signed, but most of the guys they need to sign are lower end.

I believe that you are completely incorrect in what it will cost to move Loui, I think he will be moved for cheaper than most people think, but time will tell.

21 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You are correct with how much they have signed, but most of the guys they need to sign are lower end.

I believe that you are completely incorrect in what it will cost to move Loui, I think he will be moved for cheaper than most people think, but time will tell.

Yes, but signing 13 guys will get you 20 million in a real hurry.  That's an average of 1.6. Adding Loui's 6 means that they would be signing everyone else at a little over a million each to reach the floor.  That is not realistic.

Play devils advocate for a second.  You have 20 million in cap space and 20 teams are looking to trade you dead cap space along with assets.  Are you really going to jump at a later 3rd round pick and 40 point forward, and take on an extra year and give a quality asset back in return?  Or hold out for a better offer from the other19 teams.  Far more teams will offer far more assets.  

In order to dump salary, our best bet is to move Sutter, as he won't require much of an add/if any, or Baertschi as he has 1 year left on a lower hit.  Not a chance LE is moved this offseason, next one will be doable though.

Edited by BCNate

Rather than bringing Richardson back or someone cheap to fill that slot - why not see if we could use one of our ELC D prospects and play them there, and essentially run 7 D with the odd man on the wing?