Sign in to follow this  
DonLever

BC Election Thread: Voting Day Oct. 24, Last Week of Campaigning

I like the job Horgan has done for the most part in handling covid, but this seems pretty opportunistic and there's no need for it now. Thats the game tho I guess. 

But no, I won't be voting NDP. 

• Huggy Bear 1

I will vote for anyone but my local incumbent.  Dan Ashton is an absolute joke of an MLA and has been the root cause of a lot of issues facing Penticton and the South Okanagan since he was elected.

I believe Horgan has done an exemplary job so far though and will say that much of the feared "economic ruin" or "Union humping" people speak of the NDP being the cause of has not only not materialized but in fact I'd say the opposite has happened in BC by the numbers

• Like 4

I don't want to vote again, let this ride out until the election is supposed to be done.  Less times I have to get pissed off with choosing which party will screw me the least makes me happier, having to do it more often will just annoy me.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Horgan and the NDP have failed this province miserably with the Covid crisis.  We had a great start in March / April and then the NDP's lack of clear policy destroyed the early advantage we had over this covid virus.

Support for the NDP is crashing thus the push for quick election during a Pandemic.

NDP are a morally bankrupt polititical party and they stand for nothing.  Good riddens Horgan. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Sedinery 1

The NDP must have looked at the New Brunswick election held a few days ago and saw the Tories get a majority after in a minority situation similar to them.

The opposition New Brunswick Liberals ran a campaign based on the idea the Tories were opportunists running an election in a midst of  a pandemic.  That strategy certainly did not work.  The BC Liberals better think of something else besides opportunism.

• Like 1

BTW, the BC Green Party selected a new leader on Monday, Sonia Furstenau.   I think the Greens will be wiped out.

Well I sure don't trust the BC Liberals to handle the pandemic better.  Hoping I'm able to vote by mail.

Edited by King Heffy

How does this possible move align with our fixed election date legislation?

I know it's one thing to have an early election because the government fell, but I thought the whole point of the fixed election date was to avoid snap elections.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, DonLever said:

BTW, the BC Green Party selected a new leader on Monday, Sonia Furstenau.   I think the Greens will be wiped out.

Agreed.  I think they have peaked.  But I also wouldn't be totally shocked if they hung on to the two seats they have.  And I think Furstenau knows that too and that's why she was publicly challenging Horgan to NOT call an election.  Plus, they probably can't afford it. 

17 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

How does this possible move align with our fixed election date legislation?

I know it's one thing to have an early election because the government fell, but I thought the whole point of the fixed election date was to avoid snap elections.

I think the minority government situation can negate the fixed election date, especially if confidence motions can topple a minority government.   If the government has a clear cut majority, then fixed election dates should be followed. 

7 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I think the minority government situation can negate the fixed election date, especially if confidence motions can topple a minority government.   If the government has a clear cut majority, then fixed election dates should be followed. 

Calling an early election during a Pandemic is disturbing behaviour even for a morally bankrupt political party like the NDP.....

Really hope it backfires and BC parents put Horgan out on his......a........

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Horgan and the NDP have failed this province miserably with the Covid crisis.  We had a great start in March / April and then the NDP's lack of clear policy destroyed the early advantage we had over this covid virus.

Support for the NDP is crashing thus the push for quick election during a Pandemic.

NDP are a morally bankrupt polititical party and they stand for nothing.  Good riddens Horgan. 

QyZso.gif

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

Nobody likes greed. I’d guess he’d lose a lot of popularity and votes by calling an election at the beginning of the second wave. 

I think the press is giving him a free preview of response right now, and I haven’t seen anyone out a positive spin on it yet. 

• Hydration 1

6 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Didn't take long for the NDP to act as sleezy as any Christy Clark government.  

AKA didn't take the government to act like the government always does.

The NDP is in a position of power and they can hold an election whenever they want.

It is their right to do so.

This is the most opportune time for them to call it

1.- Horgan and his party have never been as popular as they are right now for their overseeing of the pandemic and deservedly so.

2.- The Liberals are a shell of what they were, Their leadership is useless, why they even calls themselves Liberals is baffling???

3. - The only other party is the Greens without their leader(He doesn't even want anything to do with them), they have zero $$$ to finance an election

If  adults can go to a bar, restaurant, Walmart, Costco, Safeway, Home Depot, Can.Tire, etc.

They can go and vote!

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

12 hours ago, DonLever said:

The NDP must have looked at the New Brunswick election held a few days ago and saw the Tories get a majority after in a minority situation similar to them.

The opposition New Brunswick Liberals ran a campaign based on the idea the Tories were opportunists running an election in a midst of  a pandemic.  That strategy certainly did not work.  The BC Liberals better think of something else besides opportunism.

no doubt. Thats about the same level as trying to win saying "I'm not the other guy" even though this is opportunistic. 

I don't think the NDP has much to worry about tho with Wilkinson at the helm. 

Edited by Robert Long
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

and will say that much of the feared "economic ruin" or "Union humping" people speak of the NDP being the cause of has not only not materialized but in fact I'd say the opposite has happened in BC by the numbers

but you wouldn't expect that in the situation he was in. There's nothing stopping that if he gets a solid majority. I'm not anti-union at all, but I think the fear of this will be raised.

Minority gov'ts often work well, which is a contributor to Horgans record so far imo, I'd like to see it run for a while longer before heading back to the polls. 

If they do hold a snap election and win, it'll be back to silly season over TMX as well, which is a giant waste of time right now. 

Edited by Robert Long

21 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

The NDP is in a position of power and they can hold an election whenever they want.

It is their right to do so.

This is the most opportune time for them to call it

1.- Horgan and his party have never been as popular as they are right now for their overseeing of the pandemic and deservedly so.

2.- The Liberals are a shell of what they were, Their leadership is useless, why they even calls themselves Liberals is baffling???

3. - The only other party is the Greens without their leader(He doesn't even want anything to do with them), they have zero $$$ to finance an election

If  adults can go to a bar, restaurant, Walmart, Costco, Safeway, Home Depot, Can.Tire, etc.

They can go and vote!

All true. I do hope its mail in though, I really don't want to go stand in line right now to have to do this. 

on #2 - the Liberals really screwed up imo going with Wilkinson and sticking with the old guard. We need a new centre/centre-right party in BC, even if you don't like that kind of party it helps to have a strong opposition to keep any gov't of the day in check. The BC Lib's are still in denial about the need for reforming their party imo. 

• Like 1