Sign in to follow this  
DonLever

BC Election Thread: Voting Day Oct. 24, Last Week of Campaigning

49 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

no fault is only part of the picture, the repair cost side is a massive issue as well. What I think we'll end up with is really expensive no fault. 

The repair side is certainly a cost driver as well. 

No fault isn’t perfect. It won’t be the be all end all of solutions either. It has its warts without a doubt but if we can curb costs, get back to surpluses, then I’d like to see those surpluses used to lower insurance rates as had been done before. We will see. 

• Hydration 1

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

No fault isn’t perfect. It won’t be the be all end all of solutions either. It has its warts without a doubt but if we can curb costs, get back to surpluses, then I’d like to see those surpluses used to lower insurance rates as had been done before. We will see. 

Why I ride motorbike from May to Oct.  That $65 a month is sure nice ;) 

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

thats a good way to look at it for sure. But its also going to take the Liberals a long time for people to forget Clark :lol: it is what it is, she earned it. 

My concern is people don't give the NDP enough scrutiny and give them a free pass on things like ICBC because Clark &^@#ed it up. She's long gone. 

If the Surrey King has any say about it the NDP will be eviscerated by election day :lol: he sure has been contributing to the scrutiny albeit with a narrow lense

I think a lot of people have gotten over the Clark saga and the Liberals will make it competitive if not win a minority, at least from my bubble of anecdotal information. 

35 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

If the Surrey King has any say about it the NDP will be eviscerated by election day :lol: he sure has been contributing to the scrutiny albeit with a narrow lense

I think a lot of people have gotten over the Clark saga and the Liberals will make it competitive if not win a minority, at least from my bubble of anecdotal information. 

I think the debate will be huge in this. Also really not clear how big the "silent majority" is either. Big risk here by Horgan. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2020 at 4:43 PM, Sharpshooter said:

I wouldn't hold your breath for any long team cuts in rates.

What no fault insurance really does is forces citizens to buy private disability insurance privately on top of their car insurance, which will cost $100+/month. The maximum payout under no fault is $774/week. Not enjoy to support a family on. So if you earn more than $60k/year, you need to buy private insurance.

Also if you are young, and end up disabled... Yeah just $774/month. You could have been a top student, but now you're a ward of the state. 

• Hydration 1

8 hours ago, taxi said:

I wouldn't hold your breath for any long team cuts in rates.

What no fault insurance really does is forces citizens to buy private disability insurance privately on top of their car insurance, which will cost $100+/month. The maximum payout under no fault is $774/week. Not enjoy to support a family on. So if you earn more than $60k/year, you need to buy private insurance.

Also if you are young, and end up disabled... Yeah just $774/month. You could have been a top student, but now you're a ward of the state. 

almost no one carries enough insurance to cover the cost of long term disability. People seem to think being in Canada means you'll get what you need for a decent life at home, and its nothing like that. 

we'll have to wait and see if Wilkinson actually has any sort of credible plan here , but I'm not sure people really understand how little coverage they get with the basic option so he has the problem of having to educate people as well vs. just tell you to remember to be mad at Christy. 

21 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Lets Make BC great again

lets not go here ^^^

33 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Lets Make BC great again

And that's how you alienate everyone with a brain, conscience or basic morals.

• Hydration 1

Wilkinson coming out with the BIG guns today

Announcing that the BC Liberals will repeal the PST should they win.  Except...when asked about the billions dollars deep hole it would create, crickets.

Who wants to guess what services would be cut, or programs?  Oh, how about what fees would increase?

Edited by Warhippy

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Announcing that the BC Liberals will repeal the PST should they win.  Except...when asked about the billions dollars deep hole it would create, crickets.

Who wants to guess what services would be cut, or programs?  Oh, how about what fees would increase?

For 1 year, Hip. 

We can argue how effective that would be to increase spending and economic activity, but lets not try to make this sound permanent. 

“We will not be cutting any of those services because at a time like this that is exactly when they are needed,” said Wilkinson.

https://vancouversun.com/news/politics/bc-election/wilkinson-promises-to-eliminate-the-pst-for-one-year

Edited by Robert Long

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Probably have to sell off a few more assets.

Can't sell Ferries, or B.C. Rail, those are long gone.

Maybe B.C. Place or a bunch of B.C. Parks?

Just now, gurn said:

Probably have to sell off a few more assets.

Can't sell Ferries, or B.C. Rail, those are long gone.

Maybe B.C. Place or a bunch of B.C. Parks?

for a one year stimulus? come on guys... 

One aspect of cutting the PST for one year as a stimulus idea, is that at least everyone in the province benefits. You can't call this a gift to "big business". 

Can it create more benefit than the ~7 billion it will cost? dunno, have to see the actual projections on this. 

Its also interesting that the Liberals are willing to go into deficit during covid times.

6 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

For 1 year, Hip. 

We can argue how effective that would be to increase spending and economic activity, but lets not try to make this sound permanent. 

“We will not be cutting any of those services because at a time like this that is exactly when they are needed,” said Wilkinson.

https://vancouversun.com/news/politics/bc-election/wilkinson-promises-to-eliminate-the-pst-for-one-year

Mmhmm, the estimated amount of total sales tax in BC is 7.8 billion or so if I recall.  

What precisely can be considered jumpstart for the economy when we'd be facing such a massive shortfall in the budget?  Keeping in mind the Wilkinson crew are almost to a person the same crew that lied to us about the HST essentially costing British Columbians around a billion or so in fines to the feds.

As for them going in to debt during covid times, they managed to go in to debt repeatedly during boom times so...

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Mmhmm, the estimated amount of total sales tax in BC is 7.8 billion or so if I recall.  

What precisely can be considered jumpstart for the economy when we'd be facing such a massive shortfall in the budget?  Keeping in mind the Wilkinson crew are almost to a person the same crew that lied to us about the HST essentially costing British Columbians around a billion or so in fines to the feds.

As for them going in to debt during covid times, they managed to go in to debt repeatedly during boom times so...

BC voting to repeal the HST was stupid. It really was, our voting public shot themselves in the foot.

Wilkinson was not the leader when that debacle occurred. I'm not going to blame him for that, as much as I'm not going to blame Horgan for fast ferries.

Its an curious idea. You could spend 7.8 billion in targeted stimulus, or cut corporate taxes, but they didn't choose that. It does save everyone in BC money. I'm really interested to see how much stimulus this kind of thing could produce.  

This is the same old story. Billions cut and services erode. Hurts those who can least afford it. 

So it goes.

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

BC voting to repeal the HST was stupid. It really was, our voting public shot themselves in the foot.

Wilkinson was not the leader when that debacle occurred. I'm not going to blame him for that, as much as I'm not going to blame Horgan for fast ferries.

Its an curious idea. You could spend 7.8 billion in targeted stimulus, or cut corporate taxes, but they didn't choose that. It does save everyone in BC money. I'm really interested to see how much stimulus this kind of thing could produce.  

An estimated amount totalling less than $1200 for a household making $60k a year.

That's not insignificant, BUT at the same time it is also not nearly as much as would be needed to "stimulate the economy" as it was.  The ensuing shortfall would be paid.  Make no mistake about it.

And no, Wilkinson was not leader; but the party by and large has not changed.

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

An estimated amount totalling less than $1200 for a household making $60k a year.

That's not insignificant, BUT at the same time it is also not nearly as much as would be needed to "stimulate the economy" as it was.  The ensuing shortfall would be paid.  Make no mistake about it.

And no, Wilkinson was not leader; but the party by and large has not changed.

So what? We can play that game with every party. 

It depends on how much additional buying consumers will make. I'd certainly look at an a car purchase a year early. Or accelerate a home reno.

I do think this is a prelude to bringing the HST back, which would bring in a couple of billion from the feds to harmonize so that would claw back some of the lost revenue. And make so much sense for small businesses in BC in particular. 

The fear mongering over cuts to services is expected, but once people realize the $1,200 savings and chance to save on big ticket items this might actually get some traction.

Edited by Robert Long