The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pierre Lebrun: GM Benning & JP Barry chatted about a Loui Eriksson trade this week

Ilya Mikheyev

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, I'd estimate he'd fetch a mid to late 2nd rounder.

Depends on if he's re-signed or not. A signed at $2+m Virtanen has a good chunk more value. I think you could get an early 2nd otherwise.

Edited by aGENT

51 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Could the Canucks give permission to JPBarry to negotiate a contract with another team for Eriksson?

canucks pay the bonus, Eriksson is owed 5M$ (1+4) for 2 years,then both mutually terminate contract.

Eriksson signs somewhere at 2M for one year, which is a decent Number for him.

He would actually win more money in 2021 that way.  Then he bets on himself to pry another 2-3M for the 2022 season.

probably not legal.

That would fall under cap circumvention.  Could lead to fines of up to 5M counting against the salary cap and/or the loss of draft picks.  

----

Eriksson bought a series of restaurants in Sweden for his post-retirement career.  The press before the pandemic was already covering how he had lost millions.  Now with the pandemic - he might need the money to stay afloat.   

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Would you walk away from $5m? 

Fans think of 5 million as a lot of money. If he gets sent to Utica, its not saving us much, but he's essentially away from family for 1 million this year and 4 next.

If he refuses to report and they can negotiate a termination of his contract, he may very well be able to land with another team for 1 - 1.5 million per, possibly some factored bonuses that could yield more. Not a huge step down on his actual take home money considering it would likely be with a US team and lower tax bracket.

I see this as a real exit strategy for him and one where the Canucks may decide to take this route.

Eriksson wants to be in the NHL, at 6 million per, NO ONE is going to pick him up on waivers.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

That would fall under cap circumvention.  Could lead to fines of up to 5M counting against the salary cap and/or the loss of draft picks.  

----

Eriksson bought a series of restaurants in Sweden for his post-retirement career.  The press before the pandemic was already covering how he had lost millions.  Now with the pandemic - he might need the money to stay afloat.   

He can practice for his future career by serving food in the press box to the players who actually belong in the NHL.

• Haha 1

Get rid of him without losing Hoglander, Woo or Pod and I am a happy duck. Guy is abysmal offensively. It's actually depressing how terrible he is with the puck on his stick. If we lose another 1st rounder oh well. Just as long as we don't lose another 2nd rounder on top of it. Lol. Back to back drafts without a 1st or 2nd round pick is not ideal.

Sadly I think Lind may be a fall guy for moving out Eriksson, maybe Virtanen but his contract may be in the 3mil range meaning a team would be taking in nearly 10mil in cap from Eriksson and Virtanen. Depends on if we're the only team that sees top 6 potential in Lind still. Can't see Rathbone being sacrificed. Would look really bad to other potential College players we may draft. I doubt Juolevi has any value to anyone. 1st rounder and Lind to move out Eriksson? He has 2 years left on his contract and unlike Marleau's is buyout proof I am pretty sure. So whatever team trades for him likely has to keep him.

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, BPA said:

JB:  We're going to send LE down to the AHL and ride the bus next season.

JP:  But the USA is in civil unrest and Covid-19 is running rampant.  

JB:  Yeeah...good luck.

JP:  My client wishes to announce his retirement. 

:bigblush:

Haha that easy huh?  

JB: "as you can see, Vancouver is experiencing climate change with smog, and Covid numbers are steadily climbing with potential to skyrocket."

LE: fk it, back to Sweden, keep the money

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

but he can be waived 

Yeah, don't think there's much to talk about.

JB: We're waiving your client(for demotion). Then next June(or season-end) we buy him out. If I can arrange a trade anywhere in the bigs, will he accept it?

What else needs to be said?

Try to deal off other parts(Baer, BS, Ruse, etc...). DON'T squander top youth/picks because of this. It simply means you sign less of our UFA's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If sending Loui and (presumably) a 2nd round pick to Ottawa or Detroit gives us enough cap to keep the big 3 UFAs plus likely Motte, Stecher, Virtanen, etc then I think it’s worth it. I’m not willing to sacrifice Tanev, Toffoli, or Marky to keep that terrible contract on board. Plus getting rid of his cap hit drastically helps us next offseason with Petey and Hughes. It’s a rough but good sacrifice. Plus you can probably package Jake if you’re ready to give up on him and recoup that pick immediately anyway. 

Why not just ride out his last 2 years, and then this, the recapture, sutter, beagle and Edler I believe are all up. At that point we get a lot of cap space and also still have A good number of ELC players. That is when the window really starts 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Could the Canucks give permission to JPBarry to negotiate a contract with another team for Eriksson?

canucks pay the bonus, Eriksson is owed 5M$ (1+4) for 2 years,then both mutually terminate contract.

Eriksson signs somewhere at 2M for one year, which is a decent Number for him.

He would actually win more money in 2021 that way.  Then he bets on himself to pry another 2-3M for the 2022 season.

probably not legal.

Isnt that what happened with Kovalchuck? 

I could be wrong. When he left LA. Bogosian also??

But i dont believe he would command $2 mill...